The talent gap is scary...

Discussion in 'Football' started by cytheguy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. cytheguy

cytheguy Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    I haven't seen an Iowa State team this bad in a LOOOOOOONG time. And I've seen a lot of bad Iowa State teams. It scares me for the future.

How are we supposed to keep guys like Lazard happy when we have no one worth a darn to throw to him? How are we supposed to stop anyone with such an anemic defense? And on and on.

We can sit here and blame youth, injuries or Messingham for our failures, but guys, the reality is we just don't have much talent. Looking at other teams and the "youth" they have, I just don't feel good about the future of this program. Whereas just 3 months ago I was excited about the future of Iowa State football, today it depresses me to think about it.

And I know, I should just sit here and give this year a pass like many fans are, but I can't. It would be one thing if we were at least competitive, but we're getting blown out of the water and being made to look like fools.

2. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    I totally disagree. Our guys actually look like Big XII football players. The talent at Iowa State right now is better than it has ever been. Now if we just had a coaching staff that could take advantage of it...

3. joefrog

joefrog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Marketing
    Clive, Iowa
    Oh, I think the coaching gap gives the talent gap a run for its money. Its a close call.

4. Cytation

Cytation Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I bet Bliel and Mess are great in a recruits living room.

5. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    This is what scares me the most too. It looks exactly like it did in the mid-90's from a talent stand point. That was the end of the Jim Walden era and the start of the McCarney era. The conference now isn't probably as good overall, but we do play 9 conference games now. Iowa's probably a little worse overall now, than they were then.

6. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I disagree too...especially on offense. Our talent on that side of the ball is not nearly as bad as the results show.

Who does OU have on offense that is so great? No game breaker at WR, no great RB, absolutely nothing at QB etc.

Defensively we have some talent issues in certain spots.

7. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Do you really believe that? The recruiting rankings say otherwise. Of course they aren't always 100% but if you drill down and look at offers, we have way too many guys with no other BCS offers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT
    They look like B12 football players until they step on the field.

9. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Talent gap is probably the smallest it's been in a while. Coaching staff has enough talent to be successful, now they need to figure out how to get that talent to play at their full potential.

It always surprises me when forums like this are started after games like this. Did you really not notice this year, or last year, or over the last four decades that Iowa State has a significant talent gap with the Oklahoma's of the world?

10. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Unless GR can get more accurate keeping his throws down, next qb in. 176 yards passing will not make it.

11. Goothrey

Goothrey Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Student
    Austin, Tx
    I'm not sold that there is talent on this team.

12. Clonedep156

Clonedep156 Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Deputy Sheriff
    Des Moines
    Can't agree more. My biggest worry is the QB situation. They are not good now and if they trend the way our past QB's have gone, they'll be even worse next year. It's hard to sit here and watch Texas Tech, Okie State, and others start freshman or red-shirt freshman QBs and have decent success. But I guess they also have a better O line, defense, offense, etc, etc. I'm frustrated and just having a hard time watching the product on the field.

13. DuckDynastyCy

DuckDynastyCy Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    At Backs and Receivers, I agree, we have Big 12 level talent, but OC/coaching is holding us back. I do think we need to start recruiting bigger, bad boy, nastier KO types on the OL, get more talent at LB, S and DE for next year if we are going to compete. Our offensive scheme needs evaluation, and new coaches on the OL and OC for sure.

14. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    I'm not sold on Klenakis but given what he had to work with this year with all the injuries I am not opposed to Rhoads keeping him around for another year. Messingham and Bliel are the only two coaches that absolutely can't be allowed to remain on the staff. Though I'd prefer that just about everybody was replaced.

15. mikem

mikem Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Who is giving this year a pass? It's very damaging to the program in the short and medium term. I'm not ready to give up long term yet, though.

I just realize that the upper classmen who should be the leaders, and taking the vast majority of the snaps on both sides of the ball were recruited when the Big 12 was dissolving, and Iowa State was going to be kicked out of the BCS.

This is THE worst place in the country to recruit to, a far northern outlier in a predominantly southern conference. We recruit areas where we are never going to get the elite talent.

But the player measurables have improved the last two years. Now I think there is as much physical talent in the program as I have seen in close to a decade. How this all ends will be determined by whether or not this staff, from coaches to s & c, can make them into Big 12 football players.

I was disheartened by the fact that this team quit today the second something went against them. I understand why, with this season and how it's gone, but I was upset. Kansas is a winnable game, Wvu lost to Kansas, they aren't any good. Let's hope the coaches can pick up the pieces and at least get good efforts out of this team the last two games of the season. Then we can see what changes are made.

16. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT
    Big 12 receivers don't drop so many passes and get zero separation.

17. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    Between Bundrage, Wimberly, Farniok, and the focus on the offensive line in recruiting, there should be enough offensive talent to win some games. The defense has been held back talent-wise by linebackers leaving the program early, but there's really nobody that opposing offenses need to plan for. Maybe Jeremiah George, but he doesn't get enough help from his fellow linebackers to give opposing offenses fits.

18. Cytation

Cytation Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    We need Juco help in the worst way next year. Let all those "no other offers" guys head to Div 2 & 3.

19. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    Baylor seems to be doing alright.

20. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    People need to realize the guy coaching the QBs and calling the plays may be the reason they struggle, and if he's gone next year maybe QB play won't be as much of an issue.