The RAG is at it again

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by mj4cy, Mar 4, 2007.

1. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    "Our objective was not to get too far behind," said Indiana coach Bob Knight, whose team trailed by seven points with 15 minutes to play, then led by seven with 2:46 left. "Coach McDermott has done a wonderful job and his team played us tough. I like him as a coach and as a person. He's going to do good things for this program."

Either the Rag is a few years behind or they are not smart enough to learn Texas Tech and Indiana aren't the same school. Bravo.....

2. Cyclone62

Cyclone62 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Oldpeopleville
    Are we sure they didn't just make up that quote? I didn't sense any sarcasm or anger by Bobby Knight....

3. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Bob Knight is generally quite respectful of other coaches and players as far as I know.

4. ornryactor

ornryactor Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Ames
    Yep; it's the referees that he tries to assassinate. Although, after the reffing last night, I can't say that I blame him- Baldy made ALL the calls, and most of them were a load of crap, while the other two guys just enjoyed themselves jogging up and down the floor in silence.

5. HOTDON

HOTDON Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Fort Dodge, IA
    I'm sure he is very respectful of his collegues which is why he is generally well respected by them.

6. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Bob Knight is an old school coach, and he gives respect to those who show him respect. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

7. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    It's hard to get any decent quotes from coaches anymore because of the new gag-rule the Big 12 put in place about not being able to talk about the officiating. What a load of BS. That would be like me not being able to talk about the crappy job someone did fixing my car or talking about the horrible service I got at a resturaunt or something along that line.

8. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    I've heard he'll yell at his players and say "why can't you do what such and such guy did last year" and then he'll do the same thing the next year referencing the guy he used to yell at.....kind of a weird way of respect

9. Dormeezy

Dormeezy Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Software Engineer
    Cedar Rapids
    Indiana coach Bob Knight

I don't know if anybody else saw the print version of the DM Register today, but in the ISU-Tech recap article, they had a quote in there from "Indiana coach Bob Knight". I couldn't believe it when I saw that. Some fine proofreading over there at the Rag.

10. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Re: Indiana coach Bob Knight

Actually, they never even fixed it in the online version either.

11. Re: Indiana coach Bob Knight

Earlier today they had Haluska's name misspelled in the headline of Keelor's column online. It was "Huluska" but it's fixed now. Copy editor must have taken the day off...

12. 06_CY

06_CY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006

I caught it on the online version; all I could think was Wow.

13. CRCy17

CRCy17 Active Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    #13 CRCy17, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
    "Indiana coach Bob Knight..."

Anybody else notice this in the Register article?

"Our objective was not to get too far behind," said Indiana coach Bob Knight, whose team trailed by seven points with 15 minutes to play, then led by seven with 2:46 left. "Coach McDermott has done a wonderful job and his team played us tough. I like him as a coach and as a person. He's going to do good things for this program."

(bold added)

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070304/SPORTS020604/703040362/1003/SPORTS&GID=yjGfyqlbgGKWUg049YaS43lD776i/f4jJGuRug+f3jk%3D

EDIT: i guess i was greatly beaten to this, guess thats what happens when i actually had something to do on a Sunday....stupid classes giving homework

14. ketelmeister

ketelmeister Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Great find...I read the article and didn't notice it, but then isn't Tom Davis the Iowa coach?

15. SlyCy

SlyCy Member

Apr 17, 2006
    North Liberty, Iowa
    Someone should send a copy of that to Bobby Knight so he can open a can of whoop-a$$ on the DM Rag next time he is in town. I think he considers "journalist" (term used lightly) open season all year round that taste just like chicken.

16. thunderdave

thunderdave POOTMFS

Apr 14, 2006

Copy editor - isn't that Nancy's new job?