The Lowdown on UNLV's stunning upset of ASU

Discussion in 'Football' started by CycloneFanatik, Sep 16, 2008.

1. CycloneFanatik

CycloneFanatik New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Here is the skinny on UNLV's stunning upset of Arizona State.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]ASU coach Dennis Erickson called the game a nightmare. "It's
    sickening," he said. "It starts with me. I didn't have them ready to
    play. I'll take the blame."

UNLV RB Frank Summers, a bowling ball of a tailback, ran through
    defenders all night surpassing 100 yards. Clearly, UNLV players took
    pleasure in ruining ASU's fantasy season.
    [/FONT]

UNLV Stuns Arizona State

2. JHpsyclonz

JHpsyclonz Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Iowa C*ty
    Their RB sunds like Shonn Greene. Atleast the field won't be wet this time around.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CLONE2THEBONE

CLONE2THEBONE Active Member

Aug 4, 2006

I would rather have a wet field. I think the wet field helped us a ton against Greene. He's not a juke and jive guy, but he couldn't keep his footing during his cutbacks that appeared to be open for some room.

4. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Its a good thing our D has a lot of good tacklers on it. :biglaugh:

5. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    That wet field just about tackled Shonn as much as we did.

6. c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s Active Member

Feb 21, 2007
    I agree - and disagree at the same time. :smile:

The wet field also meant that our defenders didn't have the ability to fill those open gaps quickly. Wet conditions were also at least partly responsible for his long run where he broke to the outside since our guys basically slipped off of him when he shifted directions.

There were also a couple of times where our corners blitzed and Stansi ran right around them because they couldn't quickly change directions when he broke out of the pocket.

I'm just sayin' that the wet conditions changed the way the game was played for all of the players on the field.

7. hook40

hook40 Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Banker
    SE Iowa
    I thought **** Vermeil retired.

8. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I'm still waiting for the "lowdown". A back rushing for a hundred yards does not spell "upset". There's far more to it than that.

9. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Green's longest run by far was aided by the wet field. We had ahold of him twice and he was too slippery.

10. yannballer

yannballer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Sales Dept Office Manager
    Rochester, MN
    I watched this game last saturday night. They have a pretty athletic qb and hard nosed runner, that is all I remember. I was pretty sauced up by the time this one ended. Obviously this wont be an easy game. They've already played 2 ranked teams and upset one of them. So they will have a great deal of confidence going into this game. I still expect our guys to leave Vegas 3-1!

11. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    This kid is a lot better than SG.

12. CY ST8T

CY ST8T Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006

What??? Next you are going to tell me their QB is better than Stanzi! (SARCASM!)

13. AirWalke

AirWalke Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Des Moines
    I've said it before, Arizona State and overrated go together like peanut butter and jelly. UNLV will be tough, but it's not like they're suddenly 1-2 touchdowns better overnight.

14. BloomingtonCY

BloomingtonCY New Member

Apr 10, 2006
    The QB for UNLV (Omar Clayton) played for Normal Community High School in Bloomington Illinois where I now live. They were ranked #1 in the state in their class, went undefeated, and won the state championship his senior year. I watched him play all that year and the kid knows how to win. He makes good decisions (obviously still making good ones today with 6 tds and no INT's so far) and can beat you with his feet. My understanding is nobody recruited him very hard because they thought he was too small to play QB. If ISU has problems with mobile QB's, he may be a problem for them too. Hope I am wrong.

15. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Wow, that sounds like pretty good credentials. Did he get any / a lot of BCS scholly offers? Not to downgrade UNLV, but it would seem a bigger conference would have come calling.

16. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    ASU looking ahead to playing Georgia this weekend maybe?

17. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Man, I gotta hand it to Georgia, they really do have one heck of a schedule and that's before they get to the SEC games.

18. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007

He walked on to UNLV

19. BloomingtonCY

BloomingtonCY New Member

Apr 10, 2006
    I don't know what scholarship offers he had (if any) and not even sure how he ended up at UNLV as a walkon. He was one exciting player to watch though in high school. Hope he doesn't create any excitement this weekend.

20. bmuff

bmuff Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    That's kind of what I was thinking. ASU was looking past them and got punched in the mouth. And, they are usually overated. I don't think that a big physical RB and an athletic QB are going to surprise ISU much...they've seen both of those already.