The jawing, celebrating, swagger...

Discussion in 'Football' started by Chipper, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Chipper

Chipper Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Is it me or is this just crazy high this year than any other year. I find it odd that CPR let's this go on alongside the penalties. Or does he let it slide in hopes of keeping up a certain level of swagger?

2. vortex

vortex Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    This team has more than it's share of guys that like to pose and talk a lot of garbage. I understand that a this stuff goes on during any college game, but when it hurts your team the coach has to put a stop to it. There are a couple of guys that have done really stupid things (more than once) during games. If it keeps happening it's on the head coach for not dealing with it properly.

3. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l0ZyKmeNE]Mike Tyson - YouTube[/ame]

4. Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
    Is there a correlation between off the field issues and on the field issues?

5. Cychotiic

Cychotiic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Ames
    Have you ever played competitive sports? Did you talk **** to the other team? There is no way for a coach to stop it. No point in even trying. However, when the player starts getting penalties for it, costing the team opportunities, something has to be done. Not sure what that is, but I agree to some point that our team has been a little to talkative.

6. Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
    I played sports. Never talked smack. My coaches would never allow it and neither would parents if it looked like I were. To say there is nothing that can be done is weak. A coach either teaches these kids that there is no room in the game for that or he doesn't. There is certainly a way to stop it and a point to stopping high stepping while down 34.

7. Cychotiic

Cychotiic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Ames
    I can see where your coming from, but you got to remember these are just college kids your talking about. I never really talked a bunch of **** when I played, but I was a very emotional player, and sometimes that gets the best of you whether its good or bad. I'm not fully sure whether our players are that emotional type, or if they are just being cocky d-bags. I'll leave that up to CPR to decide.

8. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    I don't like player that talk in general, but I'm somewhat accepting of it if they can back it up (The U). Ideally, I would prefer a team that doesn't smack talk and is really good though.

Always though this was kind of funny.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEtp0v86-nw]UCLA USC 2008 Field Fight - YouTube[/ame]

9. SNEDDS3

SNEDDS3 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Being "The Man!"
    Bellevue, IA
    When did we play UCLA? :jimlad:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Some of our guys gotta talk **** to stay up. Seriously, when you're a CB, you gotta celebrate when you can.

11. LAClone

LAClone Member

Apr 26, 2010
    You can talk all the smack you want when you win. But when you lose or are losing in a miserable game there's nothing to celebrate or brag about.

It's too bad there isn't a long bus trip home after this game. My HS football coach would have made dammed sure that bus was silent as a graveyard until we got back home.

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    #12 Doc, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
    If any of you have ever played a game (to win) where you are undertalented, what do you do? Whether you do it to yourself or out loud...it helps to talk yourself up.

The swagger shown during the game doesn't make it hurt more for them...and all that matters is the W.

13. Cyvet95

Cyvet95 Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I like Bud Grant's old saying - "Act like you've been there before." In our 'not ready for prime time' show last night, it was obvious that we haven't.

14. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    We were fortunate in two close wins that $ didn't get taunting calls. If they were called, we're probably 1-3, right now.
    Swagger is ok to a point. Past that point I believe the proper term is boneheaded.

15. ISUonthemove

ISUonthemove Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Sports Photographer
    Altoona
    You guys are absolutely ridiculous, thinking our players need to talk **** during a game to get excited. Pretty sure texas didn't get in any of our player's face and they rolled our *****.

This is the most disappointing thing about the season for me. Coach Rhoads likes to call our team "BLUE COLLAR". Give me a freakin break. There is nothing about our team that is blue collar.

We have to flex our muscles whenever we make a big catch, I guess because we rarely do it?
    We high step in the endzone when we're down by 34 points.
    Our DB's feel the need to get in player's faces, even when they make a catch on us.

I've never been more embarrassed as a Cyclone fan. And not by our play, but lack of discipline and knowledge of the game.

16. cygrads

cygrads Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    Altoona, IA
    I am sick of the jawing and celebrating after every catch, tackle, pass breakup etc... Shut up and play football. I am ok with celebrating on big plays like the 4th down stop but generally I think this is what is wrong with sports in general. Football has went from a team sport to an individual "look at me" sport. If you want individual glory play baseball or wrestle.

17. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    The high step helped get by the last defender so cut him some slack on that one. I definitely didn't feel that was a "Hey, look at me", move.

The rest of it, I agree with.

18. Hayes30

Hayes30 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Gun Salesman
    Melcher-Dallas
    Would you rather our guys be cocky or be scared to play a team like texas?

19. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    So if you're not cocky and acting like jerks, that means you're scared?

20. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    Not many people were complaining about our swagger after we beat Iowa. It's amazing how things that were ok after a win are no longer ok to our fanbase after a loss.

Swagger is good as long as it doesn't end up with stupid penalties like Johnson had yesterday. Football is an emotional game and if you don't play with emotion you won't be successful.