The best thing about Iowa beating Minnesota...

Discussion in 'Football' started by MontyBurns, Nov 23, 2008.

1. MontyBurns

MontyBurns Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2008
    ...is that we won't have the weekly "we should have hired Tim Brewster" thread starting.

On the other hand, Cincinnati is probably headed to a BCS bowl.

2. bellzisu

bellzisu Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Agriculture
    Norwalk
    The best thing about Iowa beating Minnesota is, at least we will have 20 useless threads about it.

Considering we are more obsessed with them and not actual ISU sports....

Sorry couldn't resist.

• Like Like x 2
  3. cyclonez7

cyclonez7 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ames/Coralville
    We should have hired Brian Kelly, looks like he might go to a BCS bowl... /end sarcasm

4. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Being awesome
    Clive
    Yeah, we would have been undefeated with Kelly.:eek:

Wasn't he handed the reigns of a pretty good team in what is traditionally the worst BCS conference?

5. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    And Jim Harbaugh led Stanford to 5 wins when they were supposed to be pretty bad.

6. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Yes, and yes. Although, this year I don't see much difference between the Big East, ACC, and Big 10 (outside of Penn St.). He's still playing with Dantonio's guys, and we can see that Dantonio is doing well. That said, he's obviously a good coach, and the other thing that makes him better than Chizik RIGHT NOW (read, not necessarily in the long run) is previous head coaching experience...

7. joefrog

joefrog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Marketing
    Clive, Iowa
    There are also reports of Kelly in line for some other jobs. He is a stepping-stone guy. He would not have been a good fit at ISU. Brewster, who knows really. Doubt Minnesota was really much better than ISU, and they were not in as bad of shape.

I really like GC and hope he succeeds at ISU and stays a long time.

8. dustinal

dustinal Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2006
    In the Pac freaking 10.

9. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    on the other hand cinci is probably easier to recruit to, is in a city, and plays against easier competition for the most part. apples to oranges. If you think Kelly would be doing much better than chizik at isu you are dreaming. Plus he is likely gone after this season so that wouldn't have been great either.

10. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    What, like Dantonio left an empty cupboard?

11. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    All that aside we had two wins in year two and four in a row over two years. And we beat Iowa without scoring a touchdown!

12. cygrads

cygrads Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    Altoona, IA
    I must admit I was hoping we would hire Kelly for a few of reasons 1) he has been a head coach 2) he was offensive minded 3) he would bring a complete staff on day one and 4) he had won wherever he has been.

Don't get me wrong I want GC to succeed like none other but when we hired him I thought great another D-coordinator.

Coaching makes a huge difference no matter where you are - good coaches get it done - I hope GC is that coach.:smile:

13. nj829

nj829 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Northwest Arkansas
    Wasn't Brian Kelly's first game with Cincy a bowl game in 2006? He took over a good team already, no assembly required, hence the reason Dantonio is at Michigan State.

14. mplscyclone

mplscyclone Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Ames, IA
    Kelly walked into a good situation. He's able to build a good program at the mid-major level; it's yet to be seen if he can at the BCS level.

I don't regret not hiring him though. He's in the conversation for promotions to Tennessee. It would've been bad for this program to have a coach gunning for a new job and not being committed to the program.

Also, I don't really see anything that would make me believe that any coach (that had a realistic chance of coming here) would've had us BCS eligible or done a whole lot better than Chizik. Perhaps I'm wrong, but time will tell.

15. TarHeelHawk

TarHeelHawk Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Beer Guy
    W. Des Moines
    Please. I'm not trying to flame, but if ISU was 7-5 right now, Clone fans would be out of their minds with joy. However they got there, the goofs are still 7-5, and Brewster started with just as bare a cupboard as Chiz did.

16. ISU2007

ISU2007 Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Project Manager
    North Liberty, IA
    And Chiz is in a conference with a cupboard as bare as the Big Ten too right?

17. TarHeelHawk

TarHeelHawk Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Beer Guy
    W. Des Moines

I'm not making a big 10/ big 10 comparison. I'm saying that if ISU was 7-5, (regardless of how they got there) and going to a bowl game, Clone fans would be ecstatic. Tell me I'm wrong.

18. cyclonedcm

cyclonedcm Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines
    next year will be very telling

19. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Sure - the "sane" Cyclone fans were expecting around 6 wins, so 7 would have exceeded expectations. Of course, we didn't come close to that number, so we're a little disappointed right now.

20. cutshot

cutshot Member

Oct 28, 2008
    What we don't know is, were Kelly, Harbaugh, or Brewster even interested or availbable to us.