that will teach me to give up before the final whistle

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Dropped her off at her ex's place...Natalie, I'll never forgive you

Dude, that sucks. I feel for you man. That gives me a crappy feeling in my stomach just thinking about that....can't imagine how you feel.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
And this, my friends, is why I always wait until the clock says zero. Sometimes it pisses off the people I'm with, but sports are funny sometimes.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
We had sent the kids to G-ma and G-pa's house for the weekend to get some stuff done around the house and I took a break to watch the game. With a minute or so left in regulation, my wife said "it's over, I'm going back downstairs" (where we were working), and I said "it's not over"...but in my mind I was thinking...it's over, but I'm not giving up on them until it's OVER. Had fun with the "I told you so" later on.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Things could be worse...I left at halftime of the Infamous win against #2 Okey State in Football because the chick I brought to the game decided she wanted to go back to Des Moines. Thinking she meant to my bed, I obliged. Dropped her off at her ex's places in time to make it home to watch the last 4 minutes....Natalie, I'll never forgive you

What a dirty stupid ******* ***** *** *****!!!! That is downright awful.... karma definitely owes you something my friend....

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
At :28 down 4 or 5 I had given up and went to get ready to shower before the evening festivities. ISU losses always effing ruin my night. As I was getting my stuff round up I forgot something in the bedroom. I walked into the bedroom and looked at the t.v., wtf? were only down 2 with 6 sec and holy cow jump ball!, oh, never mind OSU possession arrow. Then Keaton Paige gets fouled and I told my wife, "This is the best free throw shooter in the Big 12, unless the ghost of 1992 is still hanging around this one is officially over". The rest is history and the house got loud. The only thing that made my night better was being in the bar when 3/4 of the local drunks let out a loud groan at the end of the Iowa game, as I let out a bit Bart Simpson style laugh.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
I was about to turn it off when we were down 16, and that began that 12-0 run we had. Then I stay tuned to it. Then all of the sudden we were down again and I was about to turn it off, but held on to the tiny amount of hope I had...and when Forte missed that free throw, like Gessle, I thought we could get a great look, but I did not think we would make it, but shame on me! Made it, got it into OT! Then saw Forte make that three right away in OT, and starting sinking again, but that was when Big Daddy Kane put us on his back and carried us off in victory! So there was about 3 times I was about to shut it off, but glad I did not.

Awesome game! Awesome way to send the seniors out in style, like the article stated, '5 seconds changed everything!'

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
47024210.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There was a couple who had brought their 3 kids that sat near us. They bundled their kids all up and left with about a minute left. Brought their kids back up for overtime and had to take their coats back off again. For those of us who know how much it sucks to get infants ready to go, I felt it was a fair punishment for leaving early.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They just didn't want to go back to their seats.
This. There are two types of fans at Hilton. Those who rush the court......and those who rush the parking lot. And what you see on the concourse are ready to stampede the parking lot. They are the people that no matter the game or opponent or outcome, have to be out of their seat and on their way to the lot two minutes before the end of the game. Pay attention to the lower level and see how many empty seats you see right before the end of ANY game. It looks bad in person.....completely embarrassing on television.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I'm happy to say I've never left a Cyclone game too early. Has it meant I ended up sitting through a few brutal losses that didn't turn around? You betcha. But it also allowed me to witness the best games ever like football against OSU and the basketball comebacks against OSU (we're starting to pile them up on the Cowboys.) I pay good money to watch my team, I never got the leaving early thing. I don't care if it means I MIGHT get home 10 mins early...I never leave unless it's statistically IMPOSSIBLE to win. I guess I'm just a diehard, but I'm damn proud of it.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I never shut off the TV during basketball(football is different story). When things get bad I normally open up my laptop and just sorta half watch half browse the internet staying away from Iowa State related things for a little bit so I can't get any more angry while watching the game, but so I know what it going on too. What keeps me from completely turning off the TV and leaving the room is because we won the UNI game when I was just half paying attention so I still always hold out hope.

I really thought the game was over and didn't believe that Iowa State was going to win until I heard someone else watching the game in another room in my house start to scream because Naz made the shot. I was watching it on my TV that had a Tivo hooked up to it, which makes the TV lag more then the others, so when Naz made the shot at the end my TV was just showing him crossing half court. Sorta to the excitement out of the moment, but at the time I didn't really care.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm happy to say I've never left a Cyclone game too early. Has it meant I ended up sitting through a few brutal losses that didn't turn around? You betcha. But it also allowed me to witness the best games ever like football against OSU and the basketball comebacks against OSU (we're starting to pile them up on the Cowboys.) I pay good money to watch my team, I never got the leaving early thing. I don't care if it means I MIGHT get home 10 mins early...I never leave unless it's statistically IMPOSSIBLE to win. I guess I'm just a diehard, but I'm damn proud of it.

Agreed. I remember sticking around for the Iowa and Texas football games in 2003 and having their fans take over the student section in the third quarter because all of ours were gone. But I stuck around. And I agree, by doing so, I've had the advantage of seeing some amazing endings that many can't claim to have seen because they gave up.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My parents were at the game (season ticket holders). I scheduled our 4th daughter's 1st birthday party around 4-5pm on Sat knowing they would be in town. My hubby and his Dad were watching the game downstairs, my sister was giving me updates since I was busy getting ready for the party and am a nervous fan. At one point she said, "The game is over" and I naively believed her. Next thing you know, here are my parents at the door. Yes, they left early--probably one of the few times they have. My Dad is the most optimistic life-long Cyclone fan I know, my Mom is the opposite. ;) I think he was tired of her grumbling during the game. He did get to watch overtime here. I give them a pass since it was partly my fault (they felt they had to get to the party) and they go to more Cyclone events in a year than a lot of people will go to their entire lives since they have football, volleyball, court side wbb, mbb and wrestling season tickets. Even with an hour drive home, they rarely leave early win or lose.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Thinking of the people walking to their cars as Naz hit the 3 to tie it warms my cold black heart to this day.

1992 lives! Hilton was really loud after the 12-0 run, and would have exploded if Niang would have hit the 3 before the TV timeout. No way was this team gonna lose this day. Forte joins Alexander in witnessing the power of Hilton Magic, and a shaking rim.

One of the top 5 wins in history. Yes, going all the way back to the Johnny years.

Keep beating the crowds! Leave early, miss that game!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I was about to turn it off when we were down 16, and that began that 12-0 run we had. Then I stay tuned to it. Then all of the sudden we were down again and I was about to turn it off, but held on to the tiny amount of hope I had...and when Forte missed that free throw, like Gessle, I thought we could get a great look, but I did not think we would make it, but shame on me! Made it, got it into OT! Then saw Forte make that three right away in OT, and starting sinking again, but that was when Big Daddy Kane put us on his back and carried us off in victory! So there was about 3 times I was about to shut it off, but glad I did not.

Awesome game! Awesome way to send the seniors out in style, like the article stated, '5 seconds changed everything!'
CA did okay on the free throws.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
I think the people who left early to beat the rush probably feel worse than you do. So you have that going for you at least!

I was so ****** when forte got fouled. We started to leave. Got outside, but thankfully, the parking lot attendants started jumping around screaming, and a bus driver told us to get our ***** back into Hilton for OT. Still can't believe I made such a rookie mistake.

greatshu

Dec 4, 2007
KS
I was sitting in the balcony and 30% of the entire section just stood up and left with 1 minute to go. I stayed because I wasn't going to give up on seniors. I also didn't drive 4 hours each way to leave the game early.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Thinking of the people walking to their cars as Naz hit the 3 to tie it warms my cold black heart to this day.

1992 lives! Hilton was really loud after the 12-0 run, and would have exploded if Niang would have hit the 3 before the TV timeout. No way was this team gonna lose this day. Forte joins Alexander in witnessing the power of Hilton Magic, and a shaking rim.

One of the top 5 wins in history. Yes, going all the way back to the Johnny years.

Keep beating the crowds! Leave early, miss that game!

Karma had to have something to do with that one as well since he clearly jumped sideways into Thigpen - what should have been called a charge if they call anything at all - to earn the trip to the line.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron