Texas Longhorns....2008 Big 12 Football Champs!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rolling Clones, Apr 6, 2009.

1. psycln11

psycln11 Active Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Ankeny
    All they had to do was keep Crabtree out of the endzone on one play and there would have been NO asterix.

Better yet, don't drop the INT on one of the previous plays...GAME OVER.

2. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
  3. wonkadog

wonkadog Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Ames, IA
    A program with their tradition and history looks absolutely stupid doing something like that. Now for ISU, I think we should have built some huge memorial for our Big 12 North "title" a few years back!

4. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I like your quote RC. I once had a buddy try to tell me that that moive was based on Iowa (his UI grad father told him this). I didn't have the heart to tell him that his old man is full of **** and that it's based on Dartmouth (where co-writer Chris Miller had been a frat member).

I agree that this asterisk buisiness appears petty and is beneath a program with a storied history such as UT has.

5. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I guess I see no problem with this. Texas beat OU and the only reason that they didn't play in the championship game was because of a subjective poll. In fact, shouldn't OU's championship have an astericks as well? They split the South title too didn't they.

6. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Well hang the 2004 North Division champ flag back on the press box at JTS.

7. jaretac

jaretac Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Frigidaire
    I see nothing wrong with it, they won it and should be allowed to proclaim it.

8. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Yet some rip ISU for doing the same thing.

9. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Uhhh.... UT is claiming to be champions of a game they didn't play in - that's what's wrong with this.

Does Ole Miss have a banner in their football complex saying they are BCS champions for 08/09 because they beat Florida? Didn't think so.

C'mon Texas, you're better than that.

10. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    Agree totally - the Ole Miss analogy is right on.

11. jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
    Frigidaire
    and I'm not one of them. Regardless of what people say, we earned that trophy and should be proud of it.

12. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    I really do not feel like we "earned" anything after the way we lost to Missouri.

I disagree with the premise that we "tied" for the division. Colorado defeated us, and both teams ended the year with the same divisional record (4-4), therefore Colorado won the division by virtue of head-to-head tiebreaker and went on to represent the North in the championship game. Colorado should have the only divisional trophy.

13. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Doesn't Colorado winning a tiebreaker imply that they were tied with someone? You can disagree all you want, but we tied with CU for the division crown according to the rules of the Big 12. It may seem meaningless since we didn't play in the CCG, but it's still a co-division title nonetheless.

14. TxCycloneFan

TxCycloneFan Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    none
    Bastrop TX
    #15 TxCycloneFan, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009

The only problem is that they didn't play in the title game.

I claim the 2008 Big 12 Championship in the name of ISU.

We didn't play in the game either.

Sorry CarolinaCy I didn't see that you beat me to it. But tu is not better than that. They are exactly that.

15. jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
    Frigidaire
    But we weren't tied for the division at the end of the year, Texas was. If you want it so only the teams that play in the Big12 title game can win their division, then write the league and tell them. Right now, according to Big12 rules, we were the North co-champions in 2004 and have the trophy to prove it, and Texas was the South co-champions in 2008.

I suppose you would turn down a bowl invite out of principle. If the rules say that you are, then why not embrace it. I suppose the two conference titles we won in the 20's should be ignored as well since they were both shares.

16. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I think people here are missing the point of what's being argued here. No one is complaining that Texas hung up a banner proclaiming that they were a Big XII South Champion last year - because they were. What we're arguing about is the inanity of them claiming that they are the BIG XII CHAMPION (with an *). They were not the Big XII Champion. To be the Big XII Champion you've got to win the Championship Game. Texas wasn't even in the Championship Game. I get that they feel screwed over that they didn't get to play in it, but guess what - just because they got screwed over doesn't make them any more the Big XII Champs of last year. And this example isn't like us claiming to be the Big XII North Champions with Colorado - because we were. But those years we didn't go around claiming to be the Big XII Champions - that's the difference.

17. Rolling Clones

Jan 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas

Exactly! :yes: