Templeton Rye vs. Iowa Bourbon Whiskey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by temperflare, Mar 11, 2011.

1. temperflare

temperflare Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Insurance Industry
    Bondurant
    I've seen the Iowa Bourbon Whiskey on shelves. I LOVE Templeton! Has anyone tried the Iowa Bourbon, and if so, does it compare? It is priced a little below Templeton, I'm just not sure if I want to try it out. Comments welcome!

Home Page

2. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I thought Bourbon could only come from Kentucky?

My brand is Maker's but I like Templeton very much also. This Iowa "Bourbon" has piqued my interest.

3. CONEClone

CONEClone Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Trying to Graduate
    Ames
    Bourbon doesn't have to come from a certain place, it just needs to be made from a certain percentage of corn.

As for Templeton compared to Iowa Bourbon, just realize they are different types of whiskey, so they will have a different taste.

4. temperflare

temperflare Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Insurance Industry
    Bondurant
    Mine too. The reviews I've read have come back very good. Think I'm going to buy a bottle.

5. Broodwich

Broodwich Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Web Developer
    42.186391, -93.598597
    #5 Broodwich, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    Bourbon has to be 51% corn.
    It has to be aged in new charred oak barrels.

It's strong, bold and is affected by the barrels a lot. You'll find a twinge on your tongue at first, followed by some heat and sweetness. It will then mellow.

Bourbon has perhaps the most fortified of taste in whiskeys.

Rye is made from 51% or greater rye grain.

Rye is has a peppery character to it. Templeton is very smooth, but you're going to get a little kick with it.

It is traditionally from the "Bourbon" County Area of Kentucky, however it doesn't have to be from there to be called Bourbon.

Scotch has to be from Scotland. Canadian Whiskey has come from Canada, and Irish Whiskey has to come from Ireland however.

I love Cedar Ridge Bourbon, and honestly believe it's going to be the next think you're going to see people hoarding.

6. Cyhart

Cyhart Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Des Moines
    I have had both, at the same time actually. We were doing a taste test. I think I prefer the Templeton, although I liked the Cedar Ridge.
    My buddy, who is a big whiskey/bourbon connoisseur, prefers the Cedar Ridge. So, to each his own.

7. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    I'm pretty sure to be called "Bourbon" it has to be made in America.

8. cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    too late. i haven't been able to find any at hy-vee in ankeny and University & 42nd in Des Moines the last couple of weeks and they usually had it in the past.

9. Hawkcigar

Hawkcigar Member

Oct 22, 2006
    I've had both and you can't really compare them because rye and bourbon have different tastes.

I think the Cedar Ridge is a really good bourbon and is a great "introductory" bourbon for people who aren't used to drinking it. It has a really smooth character that doesn't overwhelm you at all.

It's pretty easy to get over here on the east side and I'm sure that's because the Cedar Ridge distillery is just up the road near Swisher, Ia. If you can't find it in your local store, they will sell at Cedar Ridge also.

I recommend trying it if you can find a bottle.

10. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    The Cedar Ridge Bourbon is alright. Their first batch that came out last year was ok. Incredibly smooth but lacking a little in the taste department.

11. mmiille

mmiille Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Construction
    Ames, Iowa
  12. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
  13. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
  14. Illiniclone

Illiniclone Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Cedar Ridge Bourbon is very good. I would suggest trying it. Also for you wine enthusiasts, Cedar Ridge makes a very good Port worth trying.

15. mmiille

mmiille Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Construction
    Ames, Iowa
    Bought a bottle at cyclone liquors. Will try it tomorrow night. They had two bottles left.

16. CycloneYoda

CycloneYoda Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Cedqr Ridge=JUNK

17. mmiille

mmiille Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Construction
    Ames, Iowa
    They also had some bottles of Henry McKenna which is also very good.

18. sweetwater

sweetwater Member

Apr 10, 2006
    I have had the 20 and 23 year Pappy Van Winkle. Out-freaking-standing. Not that it shouldn't be, for the price.

Rittenhouse rye is fairly cheap, and really, really good. The 100 is better than the 80, but they are both great.

19. TheCaptain

TheCaptain Well-Known Member
    Bookie

Jul 2, 2009
    Self Employed
    Iowa
    Be happy with whatever makes you happy!

20. mmiille

mmiille Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Construction
    Ames, Iowa

Really? What a great reply. I know everything now. you like Thunderbird then I guess.