SUV cargo carrier

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JP4CY, Sep 18, 2009.

1. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Looking for a soft bag, not hard clamshell, carrier for my trailblazer. Does anyone have any suggestions, there seems to be a ton of different manufacturers.
    Thanks!

2. BigBake

BigBake Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Programming monkey
    U'dale
    I bought an el cheapo version from target and I'm happy.

The only downside is it's cumbersome opening/tying up. It works best to pack it and not have to fiddle with it until you're at destination. Of course that's just the nature of a soft case. It's all straps holding it down.

Can't think of the brand right now. Target still carries it.

3. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Yeah the opening/closing is no biggie. We are going to the A&M game and just won't have room for bags since the back will be full with coolers and a grill.

4. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006
    we have an elcheapo 'bag' type. Next one I buy will be a hard shell.. easier to tie down, pack and unpack.

But the bag type is nice if you need take it down and store it while on a trip. Go el-cheap-o... $30 will do you good.

-keep

5. CyinCo

CyinCo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Engineer
    Clive, IA
    We had a Thule soft bag when we lived in CO. We bought it at REI, which has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We ended up using twice and it was a pain to get things in and out of it and get the zipper back shut, especially in cold weather where the bad would become more rigid. We took it back to REI for a full refund. The other thing I didn't like is there wasn't a real good way to lock the back up. The hard shells have a keyed lock and some even have gas shocks to lift the lid.

6. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Do you have a hitch? I'd prefer something on the hitch rather than my roof.

7. 76clone

76clone New Member

May 15, 2009
    Ankeny
    I bought this for $60 from Amazon (Rola 59102 Expandable Hitch Tray Cargo Bag). I bought the cargo carrier to fit in my hitch for around $220 in Des Moines from Schuling Hitch Co. You can find cheaper but I was looking for something specific. I used it this last weekend for grill and propane tank and it worked very well. Good luck

8. tube1

tube1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
  9. CY ST8T

CY ST8T Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    The el cheapo at Target is crap. We have used that twice on the way out to Colorado and we have found that when traveling across states you always hit rain at some point and the bag never keeps anything dry. So if you buy the el cheapo, buy garbage bags to put all your bags in which somehow are more protective then this el cheapo carrier.

10. Jonecy

Jonecy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Creative Thinker
    3.5 Hours From Trice
    I went through the process of deciding what kind of extra cargo rack I should get for our SUV last fall and ended up buying a SportRack that attaches to the hitch....I honestly love it and you can buy a really nice weatherproof bag and/or cargo net fits the rack perfectly.

There's plenty of good information at the following link including a video of a guy showing you how it's used w/ accessories. I also bought this rack and other racks in the past (ski/snowbaord, bike) through ORS and they're a great company to work with.

2009 (Thule Racks) SportRack A30850 Hitch Mounted Basket Cargo Carrier / Folding Hitch Basket Rack

If anyone goes this route, I'd definitely recommend the weatherproof bag, cargo net and a Thule hitch lock to go along with the rack - everything was around $250 for me.

Edit: If you still want to go with a soft cargo bag on top of the roof, they have plenty of other options on the website listed above.

11. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I don't know if you're taking a dog along, but you could save valuable storage space inside the car if you just follow the advice in this instructional video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Wc92bFiZk]YouTube - National Lampoon's Vacation - Dog Tied To Bumper[/ame]

12. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    Go to the army surplus store and get some of those duffel bags, those work great.