Supplements?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bufante, Oct 1, 2009.

1. bufante

bufante Active Member

Nov 27, 2006
    DMI
    A recent discussion about whether or not some basketball players had bulked up (or not in Lucca's case) made we wonder...

How does Iowa State's strength and conditioning programs for the sports (Basketball/Football etc...) handle the use of protein, creatine, vitamins, etc...?

I know most athletes at ISU have year round workout/lifting routines, the question is, does Iowa State provide supplements to aid in those workouts? If not, is it because they aren't allowed to?

Do the athletes eat special or have pre-determined diets?

What about the Olympic sports that ISU has, they have very specific rules about what their athletes can take and not take, does ISU keep track of that stuff or is it up to the athlete?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Protein shakes and bars were supplied to football players after workouts during the Mac era. They had to be consumed in the weight room and players couldn't leave with them. This was likely done to make sure players were actually using them and not throwing them away. Not sure on other sports.

As for special diets, everyone ate at the UDCC or Maple Willow Larch just like any other student and they could eat whatever they wanted. As far as I know, no one had a special diet planned out for them.

3. bigcyfan82

bigcyfan82 Active Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Summer Conference Staff
    Ames
    I know that the golfers get a special packet full of vitamins and whatnot. So I would assume that the football and basketball players get the same, if not more or different types.

4. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    before games the football players get two pills...a vitamin pill and some other pill to reduce the chance of cramps i believe

5. tim_redd

tim_redd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ankeny
    A blue pill and a red pill?

6. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I wouldnt know...go ask Alice