States cracking down on left lane campers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cyclonepride, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy? - MSN Money

These people drive me nuts. I was following someone today going 60 in a 65, and they took at least 2 miles to pass someone who was going 59, and when they were past? Yep, just stayed in the left lane, completely oblivious. I swear 65/69 between Indianola and Des Moines is absolutely filled with them!

2. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    This describes approximately 50% of all drivers in the state of Texas. And I'm not exaggerating.

3. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Bossing around Iowa fans
    Des Moines
    If you drive in Minnesota, you have to camp out in the left lane unless you want back problems

4. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Well, hopefully Iowa will be one of them.

But what frosts me just as much is when I'm in the left lane passing someones (or a row of someones), already doing (maybe a wee bit over) the speed limit, and some dillweed comes flying up behind me and rides my...tailgate, thinking that I'll get the "hint".

5. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I wish the penalty for left lane camping was instant death.

6. ketchupnmustard

ketchupnmustard Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I love the slow side-by-siders myself. It's quite the feeling to be stuck behind 2 vehicles going 53 mph side-by-side on the interstate.

7. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    How come so many people are for this but tickets are never issued? It's called the passing lane, that means that you actually can speed up, go around the car, and then move back over just like a tow lane highway.

My wife hates ridding with me because I usually give these people a mile before I start flashing them(with my lights).

8. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    I ******* hate people that ride the fast lane. If you're just doing the speed limit, the fast lane is not for you, please move over. I'll gladly flash lights, lay on my horn and flip off people I come to that don't get over when I'm coming up behind them to pass them.

9. Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
    Bossing around Iowa fans
    Des Moines
    I admit, I'm a left lane camper, but I drive real fast

10. dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
    The only exception to this rule for me is semi's. Most are good drivers and between lack of power, the inability to see, and idiot drivers who drive in their blind spot I usually try to be patient with them.

11. redrocker

redrocker Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    M.M.F.I.C.
    Ames - West-CY'd
    Why is it that when you come up on someone going under the speed limit they road hazard, but when someone flies around you over the speed limit, they are an insane maniac?

12. Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
    Bossing around Iowa fans
    Des Moines
    Depends on who you ask. I'm not an insane maniac, I'm an offensive driver.

13. Irresponsible

Irresponsible Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Sweet. So you're saying, "Please step aside and allow me to break the law with impunity. It's my RIGHT as a driver to be able to speed."? Do you steal small items from convenience stores as well?

I suspect if we would drive in the left lane of the freeway and make the right lane the passing lane, accidents would be reduced because drivers on the on-ramp would be able to enter the freeway without other drivers having to switch lanes at the last minute to make room for them.

14. dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
    That's asking for a ticket. I do my best to drive 80-85 but still look like I'm just an old lady in the slow lane.

15. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I do too at times, mainly because I'm driving faster than the flow of traffic on average, but I'm also watching my rear view, and will slide over to let someone get by. That's the key.

16. Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
    Bossing around Iowa fans
    Des Moines
    No, the key is to drive fast enough to where that isn't a problem

17. herbicide

herbicide Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Its about time.

These campers are the same that get upset when they are passed by someone in the right hand lane. Guess what? If you are getting passed by someone on your right hand side, you are in the wrong lane!

Now Germany, there is a place where people do not camp out in the left hand lane. It'd be suicidal there.

18. TxCycloneFan

TxCycloneFan Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    none
    Bastrop TX
    And the other 50% drive 85 in a 65, come flying up behind you, flashing their lights and expect you to GTF out of their way.

Slow down, you're driving like a maniac!!!!

19. dustinal

dustinal Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2006
    So that was you that did that to me this morning? If I'd known that, I wouldn't have made those comments about your mom. :wink:

20. Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
    Bossing around Iowa fans
    Des Moines
    Take away nazis and lederhosen, and you have a genuine utopia.