Statement from Big 12 Conference

Discussion in 'Football' started by CyFan61, Oct 4, 2013.

1. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Below is a statement Big 12 Supervisor of Football Officials Walt Anderson in regards to the Texas vs. Iowa State football game from Thursday night.

“In accordance with Big 12 Conference protocol I have reviewed several plays from last night’s Texas at Iowa State football game. Those plays include the personal foul penalty called in the endzone against Texas wide receiver Mike Davis, and the goal line play late in the game.

The ruling made on the goal line play was that the runner was down by rule with the ball. Because of that ruling, instant replay is allowed to review the play, which it did. Had the ruling on the field been forward progress, the play would not be reviewable because the goal line was not involved. The Replay Official looked at all five views available for this play: Line Feed, Goal Line cart, Press Box angle, Sky Cam, and Opposite End Zone camera. He correctly determined there was no indisputable video evidence to confirm that either the ruling on the field was correct, or that the ball was loose prior to the runner being down. By rule when there is not indisputable video evidence to confirm or change the call on the field, the ruling stands.

On this play, the covering official ruled the runner was down and still had control of the ball. There is no question the runner ends up on the ground, and there is no question that eventually an Iowa State player ends up with the ball. However, after reviewing the video evidence it is impossible to tell with certainty when the runner loses control of the ball and at that point was he down or not.

The conference would acknowledge in this unique situation if a mistake were made, but we do not have the video evidence to prove that one occurred.

The play involving Mr. Davis is being addressed in accord with the Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct Policy."

All of the above is from Ames Tribune

2. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    **** the Big 12. Lets go to the MAC.

3. JBone84

JBone84 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    Rochester, MN
    **** that ****.

4. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Bull. ****.

5. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I will start watching more things with my eyes closed. I do not want to threaten Texas's success in any way.

6. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, someone cue the Picard lights video.

7. huntt26

huntt26 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Instructional Technology
    po' dUnk
    They should have shown him the ESPN angle had on TV - clear as day.

Hopefully, at the very least, Davis is out a game. That was cheap

8. MIClone

MIClone Active Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Biologist
    Central Michigan
    ********!

9. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Altoona
    I am shocked that this would be their response. Can't help but wonder if the teams were reversed, the response would be different.

10. Rods79

Rods79 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Des Moines
    They really need to go away from this "indisputable evidence" curtain.

11. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    "However, after reviewing the video evidence it is impossible to tell with certainty when the runner loses control of the ball and at that point was he down or not."

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA is this joker serious? It's clear as day that the ball is out before he hits the ground. Holy crap this announcement will do nothing but further ignite this situation by refusing to acknowledge they made a mistake. Wow, just wow.

12. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    That's even more condescending than I expected. Impressive.

13. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Doublethink

14. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    Davis won't face suspension. At worst, he'll get sent to a Johnston massage parlor.

15. uro cy

uro cy Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Would they ever admit they are wrong publicly?

16. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    No surprise here. Pretty much exactly what I thought would happen.

17. CYphyllis

CYphyllis Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I can't help but read that statement like the Matthew McConaughey closing argument in A Time to Kill.

"... now imagine the team recovering the ball is Texas."

18. Cyclophile1

Cyclophile1 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, KS
    That statement is just twisting the knife after the shanking. Shameful.

19. cyfan964

cyfan964 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    4 blocks from the Jack
    I didn't think anything they responded with could make me more upset than I already was.... I was wrong. It's time for a change in administration. We may be the little guys, but we still matter. This **** can not continue to stand. Jaime Pollard, I'm looking at you, Paul Rhoads took a stand. It is time for you to take one as well. If we're going down like this might as well do it as one cohesive unit. If I was another team in the B12 I would be embarrassed. When this happened to OK St. last year, I was embarrassed. How can we continue to allow this to happen?

20. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Funny, ESPN and the JTS jumbotron did...