Starting RB?

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by leg4cy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. leg4cy

leg4cy Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Humboldt, IA
    Any word yet on who was named the starter yesterday and if there hasn't been an announcement when will there be one???

2. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I thought Chizik said a starter would likely be named on Tuesday. Since that didn't happen, my guess is that he will name one today.

3. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Either way, I expect all 3 guys (and perhaps Harris) to get carries. IMO, unless we get down early, expect this to be a slow-paced, low scoring game. Chizik has said from day one he wants to run the ball, run it, and then - run it some more.

This should be a perfect time to figure out in live action, which back is better than the rest in most situations.

4. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    He was going to make the announcement to the team in practice. I bet he did that, and it just has not filtered out to the riff raff like us yet.

5. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    My money is on Bass. I think they are hiding a secret with him.

6. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I think many people are hoping that's the case.

Personally, I'm excited to see what a healthy Jason Scales can do.

7. herbiedoobie

herbiedoobie Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Military Training Scenario Writer
    Germany
    I'm excited to see what a back who knows how to hit a hole, can do.

8. ColoradoClone

ColoradoClone Active Member

Apr 6, 2006
    #8 ColoradoClone, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
    Well, if you look at Travis Henry, a back that can hit a hole quick can apparently father 9 babies with 9 different mothers.

9. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    hmmm...a bit of a tangent there. not quite sure what to think about that comment. are you bitter? are/were you dating one of the mothers?

10. leg4cy

leg4cy Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Humboldt, IA
    Based on Chizik's comment at his press conference on Monday, I get the feeling that the staff might be slightly disappointed w/ Bass thus far. Granted, he is a Juco transfer and there is an adjustment period, but from all reports he was supposed to be a world beater who would lay full claim to the job. Regardless, let's hope that there is an effective running game tomorrow and throughout the season whether it be one guy or a committee.

11. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    I didn't get this vibe at all and I highly doubt the coaching staff felt Bass was a "world beater". They liked him obviously, but don't think they put him on a pedestal.

It's Bass who thinks he's the king. And I like a guy with that confidence. Feeding off of that, the fans have given him a "world beater" type label.

I look at Chizik holding off on this until the last minute as a guy not ready to hand the keys to his backfield to anyone until they've proven they're deserving.

12. leg4cy

leg4cy Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Humboldt, IA
    I agree w/ what was said about the fans giving Bass that label. I've bought into it hoping that our once prestigious running game would return. I do think that is ISUFan is on point stating that Chiz won't name one guy as "the man" until he proves it on gameday. We'll know a lot after tomorrow and hopefully it's good news.

13. allyclone

allyclone Member

Aug 16, 2007
    What do you think 33?

14. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    Obviously Bass has not absolutely taken the RB position by storm, but from the limited reports I have seen from practices, his name is the one that appears in most of the highlights. Nothing against the other guys, but if all things are even at RB why was it JJ's name alway showing up on these reports? I guess it doesn't really matter, we will all know tomorrow night at the latest.

15. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    I vote for Scales, he knows the program, he is bigger and stronger than Bass. He is more of a power runner. But the coaches are the ones that see these guys everyday, they will put the guy in that makes the most sense for the situation. I bet we see all three of them tomorrow.

Holy crap! Tomorrow???? Yay no more nascar threads (btw, we have not had one a in a while.)

16. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini

Could very well be. He may start just because he has the experience and he is a bull. Im sure we will see alot of swaps tomorrow regardless.

17. arganbright2

arganbright2 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    NO WAY is Scales more of a power back than Bass. Scales averaged like 2 yards per carry last year. I don't want to hear the excuse that he was hurt either, because if you are healthy enough to get cleared by the coaching staff, you should be able to perform. If anybody has been a power back lately, it was Ryan Kock in the Mizzou game last year. Saying that Scales is more of a power back and that he is bigger and stronger than Bass is way off.

18. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Guys...guys...for the most part we're arguing about nothing. I can almost guarantee you Scales and Bass will see the majority of the carries tomorrow night and will split time during the season - barring injury. We're gonna see a healthy does of both of 'em.

The leader will emerge on the field, starting tomorrow night.

I'm rooting for Scales because he's a local kid and has fought injuries like no other - would be great to see him succeed.

But if Bass, Bell, Harris or someone else that we're not aware of is the guy and gets all the carries - so be it.

It's all in the name of Iowa State, for the most part I'm not concerned at who is doing it - just as long as it's getting done.

19. jahfg

jahfg Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ames

I think that is more coachspeak than anything. I look for McFarland to pass early and often. We have to play to our strengths and our QB and WR are exactly that. Obviously, there has to be an attempt to establish the run game, but I think Meyer and his plethora of solid receivers are going to be showcased.

20. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I have to admit I'm kind of rooting for Bass - I would love to see Scales succeed, but I don't think Scales is going to have the breakaway speed to run away from guys in the Big 12... I think that kind of big play opportunity is something that has been missing from our offense for a long time. That's the only reason I'm rooting for Bass, I have nothing personal against Scales. However if Scales is the kind of guy that can go out there and slog it out for 4.5-5.0 ypc, I'd be all for that too.