Starter and all, Shontrelle wants to return kicks

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Aug 4, 2011.

1. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    We are so deep at RB that I would much rather see someone else back returning kicks than Shontrelle. He's a big play threat, but I think it's too risky, plus we want his legs fresh for the first play of the drive.

2. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    I would agree with you on this one.

3. Cystate22

Cystate22 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Third Party Asset Manager
    Reinbeck, Iowa
    SJ might want to return kicks but I just don't see any way we let him. We have enough players that are able to do it, and we can't afford for him to get hurt on kicks and being tired.

4. bosco

bosco Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Des Moines
    If the staff is concerned about SJ getting hurt doing KOR then why put LJ back there?

5. 4Cyclones

4Cyclones Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ankeny
    +10000, however, he may be wanting to add that to his resume'.

I think bodes well that he says he wants the ball in his hands.

6. jj-cyclones

jj-cyclones Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Ames
    Put James White back there, not SJ.

Will LJ really be returning kicks again this year? I know he has had some success but really don't want to end his season or have him miss a game because of a KR.

7. GeronimusClone

GeronimusClone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    I like seeing that he's not some ***** afraid of getting hurt.

8. Cyhart

Cyhart Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Des Moines
    #9 Cyhart, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    I want Jarvis West back there. Very fast and very elusive.
    Horne has stolen some of his thunder in the receiving game, so it seems like returning kicks is an area where he could really shine.

Jarvis makes the most sense imo

9. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    I think that kick return is too big of a play to bench him IMO. We are deep enough at RB to afford SJ returning kicks. When SJ is not in at RB, we dont lose the ability to pick up yards, we lose big play potential. Well, not many plays have as much big play potential as kickoff return. This all has to deal with stamina and not injury possibility, which is another thing entirely.

10. Boxerdaddy

Boxerdaddy Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    #11 Boxerdaddy, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    What about that kid from Omaha...wasn't he a returner? Or the one from St. Louis? Or are those guys rs/2012 kids?

EDIT: I was thinking Lampkin, Standard and Nealy. Weren't these guys good returners/ track guys? Lampkin I thought could help right away unless they're gonna use RS on them. Anybody know right now on these 3 or still to early to tell?

11. Bipolarcy

Bipolarcy Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    They ought to give Lampkin or Nealy a shot at kickoff returns. I think they could potentially be just as dangerous back there as SJ.

12. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    The best guy should be back there. Between Kirby and our best returners, we should be able to win the field position battle in almost any game we play. If it's our starting running back, so be it. Especially since he has a "bring it on" mentality about it.

13. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Id like it to be West too, if not Lampkin or Nealy.

14. CycloneWarrior

CycloneWarrior Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Urbandale,Ia
    Same. Idk who will be returning kicks but I just remember how crappy I felt for Deandre jackson when he blew out his knee on a kick return. That injury cost him his NFL draft stock

15. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

Or Leslie Frazier of the 85 Chicago Bears who blew his knee on a trick play kickoff return in the Super Bowl after the game was already won.

16. Arkansas

Arkansas Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    soon to be self employed
    Bella Vista, Arkansas
    I love SJ's attitude and think he'll do great things for ISU. Having said that, I don't think I'd risk him on returns. I'm on board with those that suggest West or Nealy.

17. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

“As a staff, with Coach Rhoads making the final call, we will see how much Shontrelle can handle,â€￾ said Iowa State’s kickoff return coordinator and wide receivers coach Courtney Messingham. “I want him back there obviously because I think that he is an explosive player who can make big plays for us.â€￾

It seems a little odd for an assistant coach to be talking like this to the media. However, it is so much better than during the Chizik era when no one ever said anything of substance in public. Rhoads is really cool about letting things lay out before the media.

Shontrelle might say that he wants to return kicks, but if I were the coach, I would have just said "He is an awesome threat when he has the ball in his hands and we want our guys to want the ball in their hands. We'll let you know soon who will be returning kicks."

18. CloneJB

CloneJB Member

Aug 2, 2011
    In Iowa
    I want Jarvis West and and Leonard Johnson back there.

19. RandomFan

RandomFan Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I want the best option out there. Players can get hurt on any play.