Spring Game

Discussion in 'Football' started by gocy444, Mar 18, 2009.

1. gocy444

gocy444 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    tbd
    Ames, IA
    After watching Florida's spring game i got really excited for football. I think this was because they played an actual game. When i went to the ISU game it was basically a practice. Does anyone know if CPR will play a game or have a glorified practice?

2. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    Think it's supposed to be more game like.

3. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    I really hope its a more gamelike then a practice. Should be a good crowd this year assuming good weather. It's VEISHEA weekend, lot of people in town. I didn't go to last years spring game, I chose to go to VEISHEA instead which was on a separate weekend (so I am very pumped they're on the same one this year, so no choosing.) The two before that I went to were very gamelike and while there was obviously teaching going on, it wasn't much like a practice. That's what they have practice for, not spring games. They are more for the fans and to give the kids gamelike experience, it's really important for the young guys to feel game speed.

4. Will we only get to sit on the west side for this game because of the east side renovations? I hope the jumbotron works this year.

5. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    the weather lately has me optimistic for grilling and tailgating. i think i still have some of those packs of free Jacksonville's they were handing out towards the end of last year's schedule.

6. I really hope it has a quasi-gameday atmosphere since I'll be missing other Veishea events for the 'game.'

7. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Johnsonville's?? Or what am I missing?

8. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Urbandale
    Jacksonville's have a bit more spice to them.

9. Bipolarcy

Bipolarcy Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    That's one of the reasons I didn't go to the spring game last year or the year before and when my BS alarm about Chizik went from a mild clang to a more rapid ding, ding, ding.

He didn't want to talk about individual players to reporters, information fans crave, then he doesn't want to play a real spring game, which should be a reward for the diehards. He wasn't a very fan-friendly coach, which wouldn't have amounted to a hill of beans if he had been a better coach and won a few more games.

10. jaretac

jaretac Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Frigidaire
    #10 jaretac, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    I know why everyone likes the game like spring game, but that is one area that I agree with Chizik on. You only have so many times to practice, so why not make it worth while and do the spring game in a way that would be of greatest benefit to the team. If the team will benefit most with a game style setting, go for it, otherwise, do the spring game however you need.

After all, what really matters is how we play in the games this fall.

11. Good point Lets hope game-style spring game is what is best for the team. :smile:

12. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Right now I'd watch linemen do footwork drills for an hour just to get some football. Then again, I do actually watch combine coverage when it's on and I'm not busy.

13. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    How'd that work out for Geno?

14. cyco2000

cyco2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Well, game style didn't exactly work out for Dan, either.

Happy medium?

15. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I would theorize that whatever form the spring game takes it will have virtually no effect on the teams performance in the fall.

16. balken

balken Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    I will be grilling Titusville Brats, just down the road from Jacksonville.

17. the spring game is held in jack trice right????

18. speaking of tailgating....picked up this 3 drawered plastic see-thru office cabinet made by serilite. each drawer measures 12" by 12".

The whole thing is about 15-18 inches tall, and perfect for holding all the tailgating accesories.....such as paper plates, napkins, seasonings, and the grilling utensils.

Got tired of just hauling stuff in grocery bags and the wind blowing it all over.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cyco2000

cyco2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I would bet you are correct.

20. Piggypen6

Piggypen6 Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Florence, AL
    I don't care the format, i'm just ready to get in some football. I mean March Madness is fun and all but nothing beats some football.