Spring Break with Kids - Arizona

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by iccyfan, Feb 22, 2009.

1. iccyfan

iccyfan Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Iowa City
    We're making plans for a Spring Break trip to Arizona with children ages 14, 13 & 12. My wife decided we were driving after weeks of fruitless search for an airline deal! Anyway, we've got the framework for the vacation in place and I'm asking if anybody has any suggestions for sights that are highly recommended. Here's what we currently have planned:

Sat & Sun - Drive - arrive Flagstaff Sunday evening
    Monday - Flagstaff area - Observatory Monday Evening
    Tuesday - Grand Canyon - South Rim
    Wednesday - 12 hour tour of Grand Canyon by air, boat & jeep!
    Thursday - Drive to Peoria, AZ for 1:05pm Cubs ST Game
    Friday - Phoenix area - head back towards home in PM.

In conclusion, I'm interested in anything anybody has to say regarding things to see on the drive to and from, as well as things between Phoenix & Flagstaff. Thanks in advace!

2. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    I would forget the kids.

3. chadm

chadm Giving it a go

Apr 11, 2006
    Midwest
    Maybe head through Colorado on your way down.

Pikes Peak
    Royal Gorge
    Mesa Verde

Four corners.

4. CyDude16

CyDude16 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    SuperFan
    Heads in the sky
    Sedona, Arizona. It's just south of flagstaff. Defiently worth checking out.

5. clones_jer

clones_jer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    Somewhere around Phoenix there a small mountain that's a nice hike ... we called it by an inappropriate name for so long I can't remember the real name ... "camel-something"

It's a neat hike, just don't try to find you're own way down, the DNR gets all ancy and yells at you for a while.

6. cyrevkah

cyrevkah Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Administraive Assistant
    Ames, IA
    I remember going to Tucson, AZ. I think we saw a jail and had a tour there.

7. iccyfan

Sep 6, 2006
    Iowa City
    Sedona was on our radar for Monday; anything in particular that's "can't miss"?

Thanks to all...

8. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    I want to say it's Camelback Mountain. Used to go up there with my grandparents when I'd visit them in the summers.

We used to go here a lot, too. They're old Indian cliff dwellings - small hike up the side of a cliff to get there. I do not remember at all if it's on the way to Flagstaff:

Tonto National Monument, Arizona

There's the Organ Stop restaurant (or something like that) in Phoenix that's fun for kids. The zoo isn't bad - kind of middling. Old Tucson is really cool - that's where they filmed Tombstone and some of the older westerns.

Just flew back from Phoenix today, and it's gorgeous out there. Have fun.

9. AIT

AIT Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Johnston, IA
    Was it a voluntary tour of the jail? :biglaugh:

10. TitanClone

TitanClone Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    515 via 712
    Have you been to the four corners?

I went when i was really young and i remember a long drive in the middle of know where to see absoultely nothing.

Big waste of time in my opinion.

11. AIT

AIT Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Johnston, IA
    Flagstaff is a beautiful area, but it won't be much warmer than Iowa. They might still be getting snow when you go. The interstate drive south out of Flagstaff is nice with some good scenic overlooks and roadside stands to stop at along the way. If you don't want to go all the way into Phoenix, I'd stop at Sedona.

12. chadm

chadm Giving it a go

Apr 11, 2006
    Midwest
    I have, and it was. Just unique.

13. UNIClone

UNIClone Member

Apr 10, 2006
  14. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    I did the drive from Ames last March, saw 5 spring training games (4 Cubs) and a Suns game. Went swimming, golfing, the usual.

On the way down I hit up the Boulevard brewery.
    Way back I hit up Grand Canyon south rim, drove up thru Moab.
    Went thru Colorado, hit up Coors, New Belgium, and Ft. Collins brewery.

My recommendations are to always stop at breweries on the way, kids might be a different story though.

15. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Driving from Iowa to AZ = suicide.

I'd rather overpay with a flight than waste all that time. Especially since the first day of driving is horrible boring.

16. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    I think it can be if you might not drive all that much. I drive a lot for work, so it wasn't too bad for me.
    I left Ames at 9am, stopped in KC for a couple hours and drove to Tucamcari, New Mexico. Woke up and drove to Mesa and was there early afternoon.
    I think that XM and college basketball tourneys helped with my drive too though.

17. clonerules

clonerules Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006

This is a must!! Extremely beautiful terrain..wish I was there now.....:sad::sad:

If I remember correctly, doesnt Sen. McCain live there?

18. Cybadboy

Cybadboy Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Yes, the trip to Sedona is worth it. The views from the drive from Flagstaff to Sedona are beautiful if you take 89A. The red rocks and the rock formations are really, what you want to see in Sedona. Notably teakettle rock (I think) is specifically a cool formation. It is a town of very wealthy people. The shops and houses are very nice in the area. Sedona also has the only McDonalds with a green arch. Not that it is a big deal just a little side note.
    From there you could drive to Jerome, a small mining community and still has an 'Old West' feel. If you do go to Jerome, I would suggest eating at the Brewery.

19. cyfreddy

cyfreddy Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Have fun ! I haven't been to Arizona since the Insight.com bowl game.

I agree with others about visiting Sedona. Also, there are allot of Baxter people down there this time of the year, that you can visit:)

Don't forget to visit the Iowa Cafe, I believe it is in Mesa.

Also, what I thought was fun was visiting other team's training site, just not only the Cubs. Spring Training is great the players actually take time to talk to you and sign autographs.

20. iccyfan

Sep 6, 2006
    Iowa City
    Flight prices go way up the middle of March; we were looking at $400+ / per x 5 = $2000, plus all the ancillary expenses. I'm sick that we have to drive, but we'll make it up to the kids with all the cool stuff we'll do while there! I was just looking at the route down and trying to see where we could make some interesting stops; I'm not seeing anything to do in Amarillo, TX!

Hey Fred! I asked for desirable things to see, which doesn't include people from Baxter!