Spend more or less this Christmas than last, on gifts for yourselves and for others..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mkadl, Nov 22, 2012.

1. mkadl

mkadl Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cornfield
    Just curious how all of us fanatics are doing. My sons family and my single daughter just bought homes this year and I spent (not borrowed, I refuse to borrow anymore, I do have a mortgage) to remodel our 55 year old all original kitchen (except appliances). The kids say they don't want to exchange gifts, which is fine with my wife and I. Our Christmas giving will be directed at our church in the amount we spent last year. We are blessed this holiday season, I know.

2. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    Re: Spend more or less this Christmas than last, on gifts for yourselves and for othe

Haven't even thought about it.....probably more, my wife is expecting our 1st child so I will probably buy her some nice things.

3. GrindingAway

GrindingAway Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Re: Spend more or less this Christmas than last, on gifts for yourselves and for othe

My bonus is bigger so I'll probably spend more on family, church, charity, savings, house, myself.

4. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland

Expecting our 1st as well but I will be spending less. Since we learned we were having a kid my house is swamped with baby stuff..... We shot our wad in advance so no special gifts this year which is fine we have never gone all out anyway.

5. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006

Added a trip to Disney as a gift so yeah, quite a bit more

6. CycloneYoda

CycloneYoda Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009

Only buying gold bars for family members this year. Need to hand out 12 of them at about 15k each.

I am awesome.

7. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011

i could go ahead and just call you dad, if it means gold bars for me.

8. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

About the same as always.

9. CySmitty

CySmitty Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Mechanical Engineer
    Longmont, CO

Probably a little less but not by much.

10. jmb

jmb Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006

Don't forget your gift tax return...

11. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA

Less this year. We moved across the country three weeks ago and are still dealing with moving/new house costs. The past couple years we've gone a bit crazy and this year we're pulling back a bit. My wife saw something she liked about getting each of our three daughters four gifts - one thing they want, one thing they need, one thing to wear and one thing to read. Then they'll get one big gift from Santa and stocking stuffers. We aren't exchanging gifts ourselves this year.

12. GrindingAway

Nov 27, 2006

Doesn't the second part always happen in advance of the first part?

• Like Like x 1
  13. ricochet

ricochet Active Member

Sep 4, 2008

At only $15K those must be the fun size bars. I think to be considered awesome you have to man up and get real bars.

14. DRCHIRO

DRCHIRO Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2008

I let my wife handle it. Probably the same. 3 young girls so you can get away with being cheap..........for now. surprising my wife worth an all inclusive somewhere this year though.

15. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009

We usually end up doing about a $50 gift maximum for our immediate family members and about $150 for each other. We budget and save a little each month for it all year, so it's not too big of a shock. In other words, it's about the same.

16. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area

Noob....someone should have told you. Your first kid, you should have bought very little crap for your kid. Just make sure people have like 15 baby showers for your wife.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA

We'll spend about the same as usual for our household. With the extended family, I proposed an idea a few years ago that we all donate to a charity of our choosing and share which one on Christmas day, rather than swap gift cards for the same amount like we always do.

18. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area

You can be the pride of the family when you all done to the 00clone beer fund! All proceeds go directly to those (specifically 00clone) in need.

19. GrindingAway

Nov 27, 2006

View attachment 16513

20. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha

More. The economy needs a boost.