Some surprisingly high Big XII unit rankings

Discussion in 'Football' started by no2cyclones, Aug 18, 2008.

1. no2cyclones

no2cyclones Mariner Moose
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Male
    Physical Therapist
    Cedar Rapids, IA
  2. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Seems like they got our O and D lines mixed up.

3. BigLame

BigLame Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Western IA
    +1 to that.

4. djkent01

djkent01 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    I don't think it showed much love at all. The highest ranking "unit" was the D-line at #5 followed by RB where it had Scales listed at #6. The next highest rating was #8, and ISU was listed #12 at both QB and special teams.

5. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    It may not show much love, but it's honest, and the Kansas City Star has a proven track record of being honest. And I don't think it's so much a slam against the Cyclones as much as the areas that we ourselves have as giant question marks - especially at QB and the special teams.

That being said, yes, I do think they have our O and D lines mixed up.

6. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    The QB ranking is ok at this point. Aren't we the only school who doesn't have a returning starter? It just says to me we are unproven at this point. That seems pretty fair given the rest of the Big XII. I think our O-line kind of got hosed, with out D-Line getting a better boost than I thought. I think with most other spots, it's just like QB, we're unproven in a lot of areas. I still think we're the easy team to **** on though. People seem to forget we won 2 games in the Big XII last year.

7. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    That list was terrible.

8. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Amen to that.

Some people don't think much of the d-line, but they might be right. The ranking might have been based solely on Kurtis Taylor, but I'm sure the returning talent of other Big XII teams factored in a well, and there might not be a lot of strength on the DL across the conference (which would be good news for our young OL).

Besides that, I really like our defensive line...

9. djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    As an outsider looking in, I don't know that I'd disagree with any of the rankings except for the O-line/D-line. As an optimist looking out, I cannot wait for this season to start.

10. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I don't think they weren't being honest, just pointing out that it doesn't show much love. And it's decidedly created simply from the standpoint of known, returnng experienced talent, rather than what they think, say, Austen Arnaud might do.

That's why the OL is rated so low, and the DL so high--KT did finish second in the league in sacks, after all.

11. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Looks like Nebraska also received little respect/love. Their defense is poorly rated after Bo P was hired. They call this the Cosgrove-Callahan Effect, a new scientific advance: how to screw up an accomplished team with superior recruiting in less than three years.....

12. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Epic Fail...

View attachment 2867

13. djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    I read some of the posts that were replies to the original article to try to get a feel for what other fans are thinking about their teams' chances. One poster definitely does not like Mangino. His/her post for your reading pleasure...

#1 preseason MOP (Morbidly Obese Pig) = KU's Mangino
    #1 FC (Fat Crapper) = KU's Mangino
    #1 DSB (Disgusting Smelly Blimp) = KU's Mangino
    #1 PD (Pie-Dropper) = KU's Mangino
    #13 coach in Big 12 = Mangino (beat out by one mascot)

• Posted by: Longhorns Rule

14. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    And don't forget how much of that "superior recruiting" was JC talent. It evaporates quickly. Same mistake Ron Prince just made--and Mac made after Phoenix.

15. CY ST8T

CY ST8T Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I was out in CO this last week and read up on them. Their QB will have all the time in the world as they have two tackles that are sophomores that are 6'8" 300 and 6'7" 305 with unbelievable arm lengths. They call them thunder and lightning and say on pass blocking they are awesome. Good for us though that just last week they lost 2 starters on the defense and one back up all to ACL tears.