So I drove an hour last night...

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by mcdrier, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    to attend the AppleBee's Coaches Show and brought 2 copies of the men's and women's teams posters...I brought my 12 year old son to make it look like the posters would be signed for him, but needless to say, I got Fenelly's signature, but I got Doc Sadler's too. Fred was not there...I think he daughter had a district game last night..Dang it!

Everyone is laughing at me I got Doc's signature and not CFH. I will just have to go down next week. And next Week is the last one of the season.

I like Doc, I remember him at Nebraska, and he was a nice guy too, but it was a little surprise I had to endure.

2. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Ooops!

3. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    That is exactly what an ISU buddy of mine said too. The other one said he could have signed it, but he is a HOK fan.

4. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    It has been interesting to see how significant a role Doc Sadler has played as a coach. Hoiberg gave Sadler credit for the gameplan for the Texas game.

5. brentblum

brentblum Brett Blume
    Staff Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Fred won't be there next week either. The men's team leaves for Baylor that day, so no Mayor on the show. Hopefully that saves you a trip!

6. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Yes, that does save me a trip...Anyone know where I can catch him before they travel the state for summer caravan and fan fest? Could I wait outside the Sukup's Training Facility and stalk him?

7. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    If you do this you could get his autograph twice; once on the poster and once on the restraining order :jimlad:

8. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Nice one....I knew I would get something like that...

9. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    How was traffic?

10. ImJustKCClone

Jun 18, 2013
    True story: our youngest son is an alum of ISU. He was here courtesy of the USMC in a program to take him from enlisted to commissioned via a college degree & TBS (officer school). While here, he & his wife & two oldest girls had season tickets next to us for basketball. He also spent one year as a member of the Cy mascot squad. In short, he's a rabid fan of ISU & ISU MBB. After graduating & being commissioned, he was deployed to a war zone in the late fall. I e-mailed CFH, told him about our son, and asked if it was possible to have the team sign a poster for me to send to our son for Christmas...a little piece of home for his rack. CFH had every team member sign the poster (the one with them all running toward the camera, Royce in the lead), and then he signed the top. Made our day, having them do that for our son.

Every time I have talked to him, he has been exceptionally gracious. We have some very special coaches who embody the Cyclone spirit and family mentality. I consider us very lucky.

11. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    Hold on. You drove an hour to go sit in on the coaches show at Applebee's?

12. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    That is actually better than driving an hour to eat at an Applebees

13. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Yes, we drove from Hampton, IA to Ames to eat at Applebee's and hang out at the coach's show....Looking back, it might have been a waste of time and gas, but it worked out that I am 50% of my goal....Laugh all you want. I did not have work on Monday so that was nice, but I did work this morning. I was home by 9:40, and the roads were OK. Hwy 3 was the worst. I-35 was just slightly covered, slowed me down just a bit, like I went 60 mph, instead of 70.

14. ImJustKCClone

Jun 18, 2013
    It was a nice bit of time spent one-on-one with your son. Bonus!

15. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Great story....I emailed Steve Malchow to help me do this as well earlier this season, but said he could not do that due to Athletic Dept. rules...I can understand that, otherwise he would be doing that over and over. I did mention I was a school teacher and the poster with the signatures would not be used for personal gain, but to post in my classrooms to excite kids. But it did not matter. I am not sure I would have enough of a reason to email CFH for my reasons. I will try and catch him at a later point, worse case during the summer tailgate series.

16. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    I've driven further for worse reasons.

17. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    He doesn't like car rides over 20 minutes, so I had to do some prodding to get him to come along.

18. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
    In the past I have left an ISU bball at the offices and requested autographs by the team and they have gladly done so.

19. mcdrier

mcdrier Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Good to know I am not the only one.

20. bosco

bosco Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Des Moines
    If you do you can say hi to cycloneErik.