Simple Question: Why so much negativity?

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyhawkdmb, Oct 12, 2013.

1. cyhawkdmb

cyhawkdmb Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    on the boards today?

2. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Urbandale
    Because we're sitting at 1-4 in our coaching regime's 5th year? Just a guess.

I'm not freaking out as I can see some definite progress, but it is kind of embarrassing.

3. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
    frustration of the fan base. People knew it was a young team, but after starting 3-0 the last couple of seasons and now staring 1-4, it's new territory under the Rhoads regime. Most people thought ISU was going to lose today, its' not that, it's that ISU can't play full games as a good collective team. You see the offense making some plays, though the defense gives up a touchdown. Next quarter you see 3 and outs and then the defense get 3 stops in a row. The 2nd half of the Tulsa game was the only part where that happened. People's expectations are also much higher than 3-4 years ago so when ISU loses a game they could have won, you'll see more meltdowns then accustomed too.

4. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Losing. We don't like it.

5. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Nuclear Fusion
    MN
    Some people just like to be negative. I don't know why, it seems like a terrible way to live life.

6. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Because it's not basketball season yet.

7. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    Because we lost?

[​IMG]

8. gogagig

gogagig Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    Looking, I've always assumed 6-6 seasons would be the base in the Paul Rhoads. For the first time I'm hoping they weren't the ceiling. It's bound to bring some negativity.

9. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I picture a bunch of overly emotional 12 year olds hammering away on their keyboards. This helps keep my faith in mankind.

10. F5cy

F5cy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Washington, D.C.

I think many of us had this team pegged for 5-6 wins. not necessarily this week's game, but in order to make up for the losses earlier in the season, we needed a game like today's to make up for it. A lot of us are disappointed in the offense that continues to look very lackluster. Simple things like running routes to a first down marker or having any semblance of an offensive blocking scheme add up to some frustrating losses. Then add in that we're somehow still in a game with a few minutes left when we've statistically been beaten up and down the field only to have the ball bounce out of our hands etc.. hurts.

Unfortunately, for most of us here, this has been happening for years.

I think others are tired of the posters here who want to make a moral victory out of games like today, because when it's all said and done, moral victories won't keep genuinely awesome coaches like Paul Rhoads or even Fred Hoiberg around Ames forever. We're all (mostly) Cyclones here and we just want to WIN.

That's as best that I can describe my feelings right now. I know that next year will probably be a better year, but we're not in next year yet.. we're playing now, and as a competitor, I'm upset when we don't win. Just like the guys on the team. Yes, some posters here go overboard, but that's to be expected. This is an anonymous internet forum after all. But.. just win and the negativity gets drowned out pretty easily.

Go Cyclones!

11. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    Oh geez, here we go again; because fans want to win and question why we're not doing that very much, they're then psychologically profiled as 'negative people" by the CPR apologists...that's just great...

12. cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    I guess maybe I just need to stay away longer after the next loss. I was pretty shocked by most of the threads when I got on here a little while ago. Im to lazy to do it but I want to write down the names of people who start redicious threads and then message them when things are rolling next year.

13. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Nuclear Fusion
    MN
    Please point out where I'm a CPR apologist. I'll be waiting. *Checks watch*

I'm talking about people in general.

14. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Or some people aren't satisfied with being 1-4.

15. cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    we were 14 point dogs.. Who in there right mind EXPECTED a win. I thought we had a good chance to win, but didnt expect one.

16. norcalcy

norcalcy Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Because if I'm reading the drive chart correctly, a poorly schemed and poorly coached offense with some pretty good playmakers punted the ball 11 times today. That offense left its defense out on island against a better schemed and better coached offense with some pretty good playmakers. Without good special teams play and a couple of takeaways, this game would not have been close. It's depressing to watch other college teams who play fast and confident and contrast those with our slow, tentative, mixed up, no identity offense.

We have a good serviceable quarterback, a dynamic running back, a good tight end, a couple good receivers and we are still sooo painful to watch. Other than that, I'm not sure.

17. cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    So if CPR dosnt fire Mess and people think CPR should be fired... who would be a better head coach. who would recruit better and get better assistants? who would bring more fans then CPR?

18. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    The OP was about posters on this board and their negativity toward the football program and its current state. How do you know how any posters on this board "live their life?"

19. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    If he doesn't get fired it will eventually cost Rhoads his job. Not this year, not next year, but it will eventually.

20. Goothrey

Goothrey Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Student
    Austin, Tx
    Hard to be positive when your team is bad.