Shotgun hunting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Clonegrad07, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Clonegrad07

Clonegrad07 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Quick question for you deer shotgun hunters... I've been a hunter for about 6-8 years now, using bow, muzzleloader, and rifle (in kentucky). I am thinking I might shotgun hunt for the first year ever this year, but am not all that interested in buying a new barrell just to shotgun hunt with. I saw they have "rifled" slugs and then regular slugs. Would either of these work with my normal smooth barrelled shotgun I use for pheasants and ducks?

Thanks in advance.

2. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    #2 ISUAgronomist, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    Rifled slug + smooth barrel + (some manufactures recommend) Improved Cylinder choke

Sabot slug + rifled barrel

3. AnkenyClone

AnkenyClone Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Ankeny
    You'll be fine with the smooth barrel and the rifled slugs. Most hunters use a shorter barrel even if it's smooth but I've used a 20 guage for the 15 years I've been hunting and I've never missed with it, you just have a max range of around 100 yds. The rifled barrels only do you any good if you shoot sabots.

4. HILLCYD

HILLCYD Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    You will be fine with a smooth barrel and a rifled slug. With that setup 50-75 yards is as far as you want to be shooting. Can a 100 yard shot be made? Yeah. Will you more than likely miss or be chasing a deer into the next county? Yes.

I have shot dozens of deer with a shotgun and the longest shot I ever needed was around 85 yards.