Shattered

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I consider myself a pretty average fan. Certainly not as fanatical as some here, especially for football.
I grew up a Cyclone fan in the 80's. It was a pretty miserable time to be an Iowa State football fan. You just kind of put up with a few highlights in football while waiting for Hilton Magic.
In 1998, ISU broke the curse of Fry and a trickle of hope began breaking through. Then over the next couple years you could really see something building. It collimated in 2002 with Seneca at the helm. 6 games into the season, ISU was riding high with a top 10 ranking and a Heisman contender and for the first time in my life it seemed that the Cyclones were going to break out of their cellar dweller roll. Then came the trip to Norman that sent the season into a tailspin, along with all the hope that had been building.
I graduated in Dec '02, and was pretty apathetic to Cyclone football for a number of years. I finally began buying into the hype this off season that ISU was poised to break out of mediocrity with a solid coaching staff and some strong new talent coming in. I was excited about where this football program was going.
Last night completely deflated any optimism I had, just like in 02. I understand it was just one game, but it had way too much of an old cellar team feel to have much to get excited for. I fear a lot of the casual fans are going return to apathy as well. Hopefully this one game doesn't have the same affect on others as it is having on me.....

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I have to agree with you. This is going to be a painful year. At least we have Hoiberg and he is going to have a great squad this year.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
If we can somehow win the next 2 games against a couple very average teams, optimism will return. Not saying we will win both games, but I would say there is a decent chance that we will. We will win enough games this year to keep the excitement going in the right direction. If not, everyone will be back on the bandwagon next year.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If there is one thing CPR has done well, its finding a way to get his teams to rebound. I wouldn't lose hope yet. The worst 2 back to back game in the CPR era were the '10 Utah and @OU games, and he followed that up with a win @ Texas.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If there is one thing CPR has done well, its finding a way to get his teams to rebound. I wouldn't lose hope yet. The worst 2 back to back game in the CPR era were the '10 Utah and @OU games, and he followed that up with a win @ Texas.
Tulsa/UNI?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Tulsa/UNI?

ISU lost the Utah and @OU games by a combined 120-27.

If I see a consistent suckage from the Clones for Iowa and Tulsa, Ill be concerned. Right now I'm holding out hope that what I saw last night is correctable, and I can still have a season worth watching.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We can still go 6-6 imo

Wouldn't predict it, but I'd have felt pretty confident had we somehow pulled it off last night.

Teams get upset. Doesn't mean they're trash, just means they weren't prepared

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Between our long first drive with the missed field goal and UNI making a bunch of run plays work on our D, it seemed like we didn't have the ball much in the first half and yet were down only 7. We were a couple of plays from pulling it out, much like that 20-19 squeaker the last time, only this time we don't make the last plays. I still think we'll be fine, though I do not think we're a bowl team this season. If we can beat Iowa, it will at least say they're improving.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I consider myself a pretty average fan. Certainly not as fanatical as some here, especially for football.
I grew up a Cyclone fan in the 80's. It was a pretty miserable time to be an Iowa State football fan. You just kind of put up with a few highlights in football while waiting for Hilton Magic.
In 1998, ISU broke the curse of Fry and a trickle of hope began breaking through. Then over the next couple years you could really see something building. It collimated in 2002 with Seneca at the helm. 6 games into the season, ISU was riding high with a top 10 ranking and a Heisman contender and for the first time in my life it seemed that the Cyclones were going to break out of their cellar dweller roll. Then came the trip to Norman that sent the season into a tailspin, along with all the hope that had been building.
I graduated in Dec '02, and was pretty apathetic to Cyclone football for a number of years. I finally began buying into the hype this off season that ISU was poised to break out of mediocrity with a solid coaching staff and some strong new talent coming in. I was excited about where this football program was going.
Last night completely deflated any optimism I had, just like in 02. I understand it was just one game, but it had way too much of an old cellar team feel to have much to get excited for. I fear a lot of the casual fans are going return to apathy as well. Hopefully this one game doesn't have the same affect on others as it is having on me.....

I'm still pretty ****** off about last night and there is no excuse for the loss....BUT, this was set up to be a down year for us. Too much loss on D and unproven talent on O. Next year we should be back bowling and hopefully keep rising from there.

Reactions: CTTB78

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I still think there is plenty of hope for this year, but definitely concerned. We will probably have some fun games this year either way, even if the overall season is a bit of a disappointment.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
One last thought on probably how we all feel and the OBVIOUS that we all see and wonder if these coaches see. There is no freaking way--0%--that this offense with our talent levels and the talent levels we must face that our quarterback will stay healthy for 11 more games. This offense has not proved to keep a healthy quarterback for years as the book is out on how to beat it, and most teams are capable of doing it. Yes, Ohio State runs this, but when they are playing Indiana and Iowa, their top-rated 5 star stud athelete quarterback can do it without taking the pounding. We all love Sam Richardson the QB. We want them to succeed. Whatever the hell offense that was last night will not work. I could put forth a better offense and I would only work for half the price of current folks drawing up this pie-in-sky stuff.
Good Day.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
i am just more upset about some of the technical aspects; mainly the offensive line and over offensive production. i just wanna see one good freakin offense out of isu for once; ive see some good defenses but never a good offense. yes i saw the seneca offense of 2002 in all its glory; but really once we hit the oklahoma/texas/kansas state/colorado road games from hell the wheels came off the entire program and that was the beginning of the end for dmac; he never recovered.

i keep watchin the replay and our oline is not good folks; once again. unless klenakis pulls a miracle there is very little hope. you have to think the defense as starting to lose confidence too; we are going on 2 years now of having an inept offense.

coaches kept saying and fans that once we stopped the turnovers and increased completition things would get better. well we were perfect last night and still could only 20 points. this offense better figure out real quick how to move the chains or the wheels are coming off.

ISUDL

Mar 26, 2009
Anyone remember 2007 Michigan? Started the season off with a home loss to App State, then got humiliated by Oregon State also at home. 11 games later they finished the season with a Capital One bowl win and a 9-4 record...

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
What bothers me as much as anything is the lack of emotion and or enthusiasm between the guys in the huddle. It seemed like they were looking at this game as some sort of scrimmage. Where's Jason Berryman when we need need him? I realize it's early, but sooner than later I hope Sam Richardson shows a little more spark to get his troops going. Arnaud always did a pretty good job at that in my view.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
We just lost to the worst team on our schedule a d given Iowa state's history, how could anyone be optimistic? Lots of wishful thinking clouding judgement.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

We basically lost our best players off a team that finished sub-.500 and got smoked in a bowl freaking Tulsa. Not to be harsh but you only have yourself to blame for unrealistic expectations.