Share your best Kansas City stories here

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CYlent Bob, Mar 14, 2014.

1. CYlent Bob

CYlent Bob Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    engineer/surveyor/rancher
    The Winterset Metroplex
    We're staying at the Embassy Suites in Westport and rolled out of bed for the complimentary breakfast about 8am. While we were standing in line the food service workers kept chirping "Rock chalk" & "go KU".

Kent looks one of them in the eye and says "this is why you're on THAT side of the line and we're on THIS side."

If he would have been holding a microphone, that would have been a good place to drop it.

2. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    Who is Kent?

3. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Not related to the Big 12 tournament, but at a flooring convention, we paid the cabbies extra to race the other salespeople's cab back to the hotel from Kelly's. We also left one of our people on the elevator because he was too drunk to realize that we had stopped and gotten off at our floor.

4. CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
    The Winterset Metroplex

He's the man who flies the plane. But that's not important right now.

5. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Love the Embassy at Westport. Stay there every time we're in KC. Quick shuttle trip down to the plaza, can walk to Kelly's/west port bars, easy drive to downtown.

My favorite memory was watching the ISU/Kentucky game in the lobby last year. Even though we lost, when we made the run to tie it, everyone was going nuts. Was just a fun atmosphere to be around.

6. jtdoyle1

jtdoyle1 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Designer
    Ankeny, IA
    Not really a story, but I've seen a lot of Missouri and Iowa fans taking in the Big 12 Tournament festivities. I think they're lost.

7. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    This isn't 100% about Kansas City, but there was this one time that Iowa lost to 11th seeded Northwestern in the first round of the Big 10 tournament, and all of the ISU fans in Kansas City laughed in unison. It was awesome.

8. AllInForISU

AllInForISU Member

Nov 24, 2012
    I met Travis Ford at the Westin. I asked what he thinks about foul or defend while I was in head to toe ISU gear. He just walked away.

9. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    What was the reaction/response from them?

10. CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
    The Winterset Metroplex
    They shut up for a minute. Seemed like they were thinking about what he said. Then they came back and played it like they were just kidding. "Hey we love ISU. You guys support your team.

Yeah. Whatever, beaker. Now get going and warm up some more bacon. The pan's getting low.

11. Cyclonestate78

Cyclonestate78 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    [​IMG]

12. Cloner97

Cloner97 Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Speaking of Embassy Suites. That was a regular hangout for several years, very easy walk from Kelly's. Haven't been in few years. Do they still have the Happy Hour?

13. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    Probably glad you already had your food at that point so no "tampering" could be done.

14. CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
    The Winterset Metroplex
    This was my first reaction. "Jesus, Kent. Don't jerk with the people who will spit in our food."

The best part of the exchange was Kent going nuclear right off the bat. No escalation. No back & forth. Just throwing the heater inside on the first pitch.

15. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I went to a chiefs game and they beat the packers. Oh you mean this weekend?

16. A-town Cy

A-town Cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Huxley
    I'm not down there but friend that is had his passenger window busted and car broken into.

17. cyhiphopp

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    Nothing like a little chin music to start of the AB

18. cyhiphopp

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    Stupid purple kansas fans

19. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    They spit in their food.

20. ken

ken Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I'm at the Embassy Suites as well. They do still have the Happy Hour, but it's very generic. Their staff was not prepared for the busy breakfast rush this morning.

Anyway, my story is from the game. At the 1:00 mark, a drunk lady fell down 4 rows on top of us. She was dangerously close to going over the balcony. Her husband didn't even rush down to help her at first. He was just yelling "are you OK?" She was so hammered, she just said "no, I'm not OK, I told you I needed to go NOW!" The lady she fell on tried to help her and she just yelled "don't touch me!" We were trying to root on the team at the critical point in the game while all this was happening.