saturday FB report

Discussion in 'Football' started by CyCloned, Aug 16, 2008.

1. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
  2. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    Its not that hard to block on x-tra points or punts. Just put your head down and aim for their knees for the blockers. You usually take them out or they protect them selves by putting their hands on your back, therefore they cant throw their hands up to block it. Not too hard, IMO.

3. A-town Cy

A-town Cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Huxley
    I like hearing this! Speed!!!

4. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Illegal to block below the waist on a punt.

5. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    who caught him?

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
  7. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Male
    Leadership Development
    Wandering
    If that is the case, I'm sure he'll be getting a lot of practice the next two weeks.

8. djkent01

djkent01 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    My God. I read all of this and get incredibly excited - and just as confused. What is our starting/primary backfield going to look like? We're less than two weeks out and it could be Bates/Bass or Arnuad/Robinson - or some combination. And Tiller may yet still be in the mix. Then next year we insert Bo Williams while Bass runs out of elgibility. And the receiving corps - good grief - Carlson, Darks, Johnson, etc etc etc...

I try to dampen my optimism, but I can't. If we are even close at assessing the skills and talents of these guys, we've got some very big seasons coming up. 2008 is going to tell us an awful lot about the future of this program. YEAH BABY! I can't take much more of this preseason.

9. CYVADER

CYVADER Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Sales
    Cornfields
    scrimmage or not, i like reading this. hopefully he can get that done in real games.

10. cyclone1975

cyclone1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Professor
    Ankeny
    I am excited about the way our offensing is coming together. But what does that say about our defense? I know, I shouldn't worry, but I am the kind of person that always thinks the glass if half empty too.

11. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    #11 ajk4st8, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
    [SIZE=-1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Practice?
    [/SIZE]

• Like Like x 1
  12. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    who threw this ball? some trickery? or did this one end up being caught by the O

13. hi54st8

hi54st8 Member

May 18, 2008
    It was a great night up there. A few observations from our seats on the east-side of the stadium:
    1. The new turf (grass) looks awesome. The West Side Skyboxes are very impressive!
    2. The two qb’s looked good. Although I still feel AA looks more the part. Bates’s TD to Carlson may have been a touch under-thrown and Johnson may have miss-timed his jump – a GREAT catch by Carlson.
    3. The play calling when Bates was in was all (but the TD above) short routes, 5-10 yd passes. AA was throwing the ball deep. (er) My feeling is AA looks more the part and clearly was given the opportunity (by design or not) to throw the ball down the field. His 29 yd throw across the middle was a ROPE!
    4. Schwartz is a player. The D had a hard time bringing him down (until he twisted his knee)
    5. We had far more blocked FG’s than ones that made it close to the endzone. Most because the ball was too low and too much surge up the middle. Zach did nail a 45+ yard FG after Mahoney had is blocked . The bottom line on the Kicking game is going to resemble the Lottery – It may not happen often but when it does it’s going to feel Great!
    6. ARob and Scales basically didn’t play. Bass looked good, Schwartz looked tough, and I think when given his chance Jason Harris is going to do some great things – great speed around the ends. We may all be saying he’s another guy that got pigeon-holed by Mac
    7. The O’line clearly dominated the D'line.
    8. Tiller scrambled too much. He’s got talent, but he’s a long ways away.
    The bottom line was it was incredible to be there (and you all should join the Gridiron Club) and Thursday the 28th can’t come soon enough!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.

I won't say that after I watched him fumble all those times. And it's not as if Chizik played him last Fall, despite Jason's big run that Spring.

Still, I wish Jason all the best. Just not gonna jump on Mac any more--that should all be dead and buried.

15. hi54st8

hi54st8 Member

May 18, 2008
    One more thing....STOP reading into who is getting mentioned and who is playing. There were several true freshan playing on bothsides of the ball that I can almost guarantee won't play (or have significant) playing time. I was hoping to see Darks play and I don't think he saw the field. Coach C came over afterwards and talked to the group. He even stated that they played a lot of 'young guys'. It's nice to see these write ups but I wouldn't base what you read and who is on the field next Thursday. ...it's going to be a GREAT year!

16. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    hey, did you see that tiller is probably going to start! he ran well AND threw well yesterday. he is like bates and arnaud wrapped into one!

17. cylen

cylen Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Not to be a jerk, but I think the idea of a 'closed scrimmage' is that what happens at the scrimmage stays there. There were problems with this after the first CGC scrimmage and the staff asked people to keep it under wraps for the most part.

18. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    I disagree completely. I think his post can only help to bolster Gridiron membership and add benefit to the FB program overall.

Nothing he 'shared' is in any way going to impact the FB program.

19. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    The problem the first time was that a detailed PBP (as in every play) for the entire scrimmage was posted on a message board.

20. CyBelieve

CyBelieve Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Realtor
    Ankeny
    I can't believe he mentioned the condition of the field and the skyboxes.....now everyone knows! is anything sacred?