Saint Louis University

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Diggame, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Diggame

Diggame Member

Sep 7, 2009
    STL
    I am from and live in the St. Louis area and a lot of my friends went there. Its funny how the papers and the fans are looking at the ISU lost as their bad loss and how that hurts their tournament resume.

How a seasoned coach Rick Majerus can get more out of less than McDermott

• Like Like x 1
  2. drlove

drlove Active Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Male
    If SLU had they freshman, Cody Ellis, for the ISU game, the Billikens might have won that game. He has made a huge difference since January 1.

Have you been to SLU's new arena? Unbelievable!

3. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    This shows that coaching helps.

4. marothisu

marothisu Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    NYC/Chicago
    Yep, exactly. Look at teams like Davidson too, when they almost went to the Final Four. Besides Curry, they didn't really have anyone who was GOOD. Their PG was pretty good, Richards, but nothing spectacular. When you face very good teams, such as Kansas, you need more than just one amazing player to win. They didn't have that, but they were well coached and they almost made the Final 4.

Coaching in NCAA matters a ton because 99% of these players will NEVER even put on an NBA uniform. The NBA, coaching might not matter as much because the guys are so good, every single one of them is almost automatic in some fashion.

In college? Not so much..this is where coaching comes in. You can't expect to acquire five amazing parts of a watch that when put together randomly they magically work amazingly well. You have to put them together perfectly well. Just like with players, just because you have five amazing guys doesn't mean you're going to be amazing and just because you have five unheard of guys doesn't mean they're going to suck. It's all about coaching..

5. never mind, the chicago invite.:confused:

6. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I was surprised. Couldn't tell if you were kidding or not.

7. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    Yeah.
    Because those Missouri state, Bowling Green, George Washington losses look really good. Oh and the 30 point loss against Richmond is a reall good showing too. They have bigger issues to worry about than losing to ISU keeping them out of the tourney.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Mac won at a mid major also.

9. flander1649

flander1649 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Kansas City
    I think we are seeing that was more Jacobson.

10. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Really? He is a good coach but I think he has only coached under Mac, I wonder who taught him about coaching.

11. RyCy04

RyCy04 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    At this point, I am starting to bet it was a heavy dose of NBA Jam as a kid.

12. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    That only teaches a guy about pro ball. These are college kids.

13. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Mac has won at every level he has coached at but this one. He is not the first coach that didnt win after the move up and wont be the last. Him not winning at ISU doenst mean he isnt a good coach.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Diggame

Diggame Member

Sep 7, 2009
    STL
    Oh yeah man great facility!!

15. Final42b

Final42b Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Ames
    Ya +1. They have much worse losses, especially because we were a decent team at the time.

16. ISUPoker

ISUPoker Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Chicago
    So who helped GM win at Wayne State?

It's funny, because Jacobson was on thin ice coming into the season, and most people thought it was Greg who made Jacobson, not the other way around.

17. cyclonepower

cyclonepower Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2006
    WDM
    Jacobson was on thin ice coming into the season? They must have pretty high expectations coming off an MVC Regular Season and Tournament Championship and NCAA Tournament appearance

18. 06Panther

06Panther Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Jake won 18 games his first two seasons as coach, and one of them was without a PG at all. In his third season he won 23 games and the regular season and MVC tournament championships.

Yeah, he was really on the hot seat.:jimlad:

19. swiacy

swiacy Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    My daughter graduated from SLU this past Spring and I had the opportunity to attend some BB games the past few years. The A-10 is no weak mid-major conf., its the real deal - far better top to bottom than the Mo. Valley. The top teams are usually rated because of their SOS, not so the Valley. Majerus is doing wonders in a short span at the school. He is the real deal and I would not be surprised to see SLU getting to the level of Marquette, Xavier, Georgetown etc. (Catholic Metro colleges) in a short time. It is premature for their fans to think NCAA tourny quite yet-but in a metro area with a population similar to the state of Iowa, the days of Charlie Spoonhauer are in site.