Rohach's fumble

Discussion in 'Football' started by UNIGuy4Cy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Polk City
    #1 UNIGuy4Cy, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    The only bad call I saw all night, watched the replay and his knee looked down. Obviously no need to challenge up by 34 but it would have been cool to send Woody off with a run from the half yard line.

2. cyclone101

cyclone101 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Central IA
    I said the exact same thing last night... would have been nice to get one more for Woody.

3. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006
    I wondered that too. Make them stop you within the rules of the game. Wha did Walters say about the fumble reply? I wanted to see a Woody TD.

4. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I don't know about the knee, but I did think his butt was on the ground prior to the ball popping out. Unless that was a different player.

5. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Only saw the replay once, but looked like a fumble to me.

6. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Wish we would have had those officials for Texas, they didn't want to blow anything dead last night for forward progress

7. abe2010

abe2010 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Student
    State Center, IA
    i could have done without the score-tv timeout-kick off-tv timeout pattern

8. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    We did not want to rub it in like Stoops does.

9. kentkel

kentkel Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Male
    Teacher
    Grinnell
    I thought about this last night. Had Rohach been ruled down/didn't fumble, I think CPR would have elected to just take a knee until the clock ran out. Which, I believe, would have been the right and classy thing to do.

10. dirtyninety

dirtyninety Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I hope we have the coaching superstructure and technology support in place to have seen quickly by multiple replay that that was not a fumble (his butt was down prior to losing possession) and almost instantaneously getting that information to the coaches for intelligent decisions (this bunch???). That was not a fumble and the coaching staff should have had the power to get the referees to correct it.......let's just hope that up by 34 they just let it go in an effort to be "classy".

11. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Just and FYI the coaches do not have access to video of plays other than what is shown on the scoreboard.

12. SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    On the replay I thought the same thing. Disappointing play to end on tho.

13. TykeClone

TykeClone Burgermeister!

Oct 18, 2006
    curious - is that a rule?

14. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    They do not have to have access to the replay, they just need a student assistant to watch the game call the guys upstairs to let them know they should challenge. Really thought that they should have challenged the play when the KU WR dropped the ball and it bounced around for a second or two and Irving grabbed it off of the WR ankle as he was laying on the ground.

15. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    You want to put a timeout and the team's only challenge on the line based on what a student assistant might have thought he/she saw on a broadcast?

16. IAStubborn

IAStubborn Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Male
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I watched in slow mo. His butt was down when it popped out. Wasnt a fumble and likely would have been overturned had it been reviewed imo.
    Oh well 41-0 or 34-0 not that big a deal.

17. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    What better way to second guess our coaching staff?

18. IAStubborn

IAStubborn Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Male
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vs. Totally uninformed. Ku wouldnt have burned theirs if they were doing this.

19. dirtyninety

dirtyninety Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I am curious about what the official rule is on access to video footage in the pressboxes and coaching boxes, but trust me....the Big Boys like Ohio State and Alabama have full time salaried staff rewinding cycling and parsing video imagery of every freaking play in real time(They have been doing it since the '90's)....they do not miss something like that and I hope our guys did not. It was not a fumble and it should have been easily observable by a coaching staff wired to do that and get quality judgements down to the head coach for challenges. I hope they just let it go because the game was over at that point......and it was freaking cold.

20. I was just wondering about this myself today ... why didn't they review that fumble? Fox only showed the replay once, and it wasn't a very good angle, but there was a question in my mind. Games have been stopped for review for much less reason in the past.

Speaking of which, why did the refs hold up the game after Bundrage's touchdown? Was that a review without being called a review? I mean, if you're reviewing whether he stepped out of bounds, blow your whistle and say you're reviewing it. Don't have the umpire stand over the darn ball while the ref stands by himself with his arm up in the air for five minutes without doing anything before you blow the "ready for play" whistle. That was an odd, odd delay.

And back to Rohach's fumble, considering the score and how cold it was, I doubt the refs were interested at all in actually reviewing it. Those two factors were probably the biggest in the decision. Which, by rule, shouldn't make a difference in your decision, but ... believe it or not, refs are human, too. I think.