Rodney King Beating

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bobber, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Hard for me to believe this happened 20 years ago now.

Rodney King beating 20 years later: Can't we all just get along?

Race relations.....Sometimes it seems like two steps forward and one step back. It's a two way street and some times it seems like it just goes one direction to me.

Just gotta keep working at it. The USA is a wonderful place relative to many places in the world in that respect.

2. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    I remember it pretty well. I had just moved from LA after 8 years, to Reno. When some of the rioting started, I had to call some LAPD friends of mine to get a certain lady friend and her daughter (in LA) out of their neighborhood. Things were getting a bit out of hand there.

I also spent several years working in Georgia....specifically Augusta. That city was still stuck back in the 60's. I'm not sure racial tension will ever be completely gone from there.

We have made a lot of progress, but it will always be around.

3. Me State

Me State Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2007
    What people fail to understand about the Rodney King incident is the reason why it was ruled excessive force. Rodney King was high on PCP and combative. It wasn't the force that the officers used that was considered excessive. It is the fact that a group of officers stood around and watched as the other officers used force instead of helping which could have resulted in less force being used. Two other people were in the car and they had no force used against them.

Just figured I would point that out since most people seem to think that anytime an officer uses force it is excessive for some reason.

4. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    And the part of the video no one ever shows...As soon as King's car stopped he burst from it like a madman and knocked one of the officers out with a forearm shiver to the face. Tell you what, I don't condone police brutality, but if that's my partner he does that to I can't promise I would not have acted similarly no matter whether he was white or black.

5. EddieISU

EddieISU Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Waukee "The Key", iowa
    The white truck driver that got thrown out of his cab and beat during the riots was disgusting to see too. Terrible time in that city and for our nation to see mankind act so uncivilized.