Robert Howard, American hero

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cyclonepride, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Saw news of his passing on the news last night. His bio is worth checking out. Simply unbelievable what this man did for this country.

"Robert L. Howard, one of America's most decorated soldiers. He served five tours in Vietnam and is the only soldier in our nation's history to be nominated for the Congressional Medal of Honor three times for three separate actions within a thirteen month period."

"Wounded 14 times in 54 months of combat duty in Vietnam,
    Robert Howard was awarded 8 Purple Hearts and is believed
    to be the most decorated living American."

What else can I say but God bless him, rest well and thank you.

• Like Like x 1

CYKOFAN Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    I saw the tribute to him on NBC news last night, what an amazing guy. We can disagree on the motives our leaders have in starting wars, and judge them accordingly. But there should be no disagreement that the men who must follow the orders and go to battle deserve our highest respect, and owed the best medical care we can give them when they pay the price.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Very, very well said.
  4. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I met him one time. Back in 1994. Very sad to see him go. I was doing a color guard for Richard Nixons funeral. President Bush Sr, President Carter. Gerald Ford, and Nancy Regan were all there. He was the one I was most in awe of. The presidents were nice to see (did not get to talk to them because I was a PFC) however I did talk to Col. Howard.
  5. bugs4cy

bugs4cy Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Story County
    If you get a chance, at the bottom of the site listted in the first post, is a link to the Pritzker Military Museum. There is a 90 min video posted of an interview with Col. Howard. Watch it. Amazing.

And, though he displays tremendous bravery, perseverance, common sense and gung-ho nature, what most impresses me the most is his dignity, humbleness, and attitude of gratitude.

I haven't had the time to fully explore the Pritzker site, but did notice that they pay special homage to Congressional Medal of Honor recipients and appear to have many podcasts, etc. This may be just the thing to help with the very long car ride I have in a couple of days.