Richardson still ready but Rohach is waiting in the wings

tivo2224

Oct 19, 2009
Norwalk
The biggest thing about this game is something that didnt get done in the Tech game. Capitalizing on defensive stops. I dont care which quarterback is playing as long as they can score touchdowns instead of kicking field goals and going 3 and out. Too many times against Tech did the defense get a stop and the offense did nothing with it. Sam was not accurate last week, whether that was from the ankle or whatever it was, if that happens this week Baylor will run up the score.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think its pretty obvious that this situation is motivated by Sam's health, not his play.

We're just all snake bitten after the JanNett debacle, but part of the problem there is that both of those guys played terribly on a regular basis and no guy ever took the reigns, even when given plenty of opportunity. Jantz lost the job last year after a ****-poor outing against Tech. Rhoads brings in Barnett who plays well against TCU, but proves pretty ineffective against KSU (especially at the end when we had two possessions that could have given us the lead and he threw 8 straight incompletions) and OSU. Jantz comes back in and plays with reasonable competency before a totally ineffective performance against UT and early injury at KU. Sam has one truly bad game in all of his playing-time. Barnett completed less than 50% of his passes, and Jantz was a walking turnover. Sam has neither of those issues (if looking at his body of work)

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
If Sam cannot effectively be part of the rushing offense, I don't think he should be playing. Our offense is limited enough without putting a gimpy QB on the field.

Highly doubtful we hang with Baylor anyway, so I am with others that propose letting Sam take a week off to get "more" healthy and let's see what Rohach can do.

Our only outside shot in this game is an effective rushing attack. I would love to see what a healthy Rohach and Wimberly could do together. If Rohach becomes a turnover machine or is clearly in way over his head, Sam is still there for some PT.

Worst outcome would be a 21+ point beatdown in which Sam gets the snaps and gets himself reinjured. OSU, TCU, KSU and KU are all winnable games that would bring some respectability back to this program. Let's be in the best position to go after those games.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't get this. ISU is not very likely to win this game anyway, yet may have a chance at some of the remaining games, especially with a healthy Sam. So why not sit him, and let him get healthy, if a week off would really be a big help to his recovery. It just makes so much sense to me to sit him this week, especially if it means he will be a lot closer to 100 percent by next week.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
One of the biggest signs of our offensive coaching weakness is the staff's utter inability to coach (or even manage) the quarterback position. This has been the case for the entirety of Rhoads' tenure, but is especially pronounced with Mess.

The worst part is their terrible understanding of sports psychology ... and especially their tendency (both Mess and Rhoads) to publicly throw both quarterbacks under the bus.

Terrible.

But this is college football and they should deal with it...but, but, but my high school coach used to throw us under the bus too, they should have tough skin right?

I've thought this for a long time. Some conversations and interactions are most meaningful and have the most impact behind closed doors and in person.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I really don't view last night's interviews as the guys mismanaging the QB position. They were asked questions. They answered questions. As I wrote in the story, really, nothing has changed with Richardson. He is banged up. We already knew he was banged up. He's been banged up all season. The only reason Rohach was even brought up was because they were asked multiple questions about him. He's apparently been better in practice over the last month so the coaches talked about that.

I don't feel like the Rhoads staff is above criticism with the QB position but I really don't see how last night's interviews should draw much heat.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I really don't view last night's interviews as the guys mismanaging the QB position. They were asked questions. They answered questions. As I wrote in the story, really, nothing has changed with Richardson. He is banged up. We already knew he was banged up. He's been banged up all season. The only reason Rohach was even brought up was because they were asked multiple questions about him. He's apparently been better in practice over the last month so the coaches talked about that.

I don't feel like the Rhoads staff is above criticism with the QB position but I really don't see how last night's interviews should draw much heat.

You've got to look at the whole body of work. IMO Messingham should not be allowed to speak with reporters again this season. He's shifted blame to players way to often for my liking.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I have thought this very post countless times in the past year. It's horrible how we've handled the B spot and to compound the problem, we've tossed our players to wolves to deflect our poor coaching/teaching.

One of the biggest signs of our offensive coaching weakness is the staff's utter inability to coach (or even manage) the quarterback position. This has been the case for the entirety of Rhoads' tenure, but is especially pronounced with Mess.

The worst part is their terrible understanding of sports psychology ... and especially their tendency (both Mess and Rhoads) to publicly throw both quarterbacks under the bus.

Terrible.

This x100. If our #1 QB is so important (and obviously he is if the backup isn't ready to take snaps when SR is playing on 1 leg) they why the hell has the staff put together a game plan where the QB runs the ball so much?? Its crazy to put your QB at risk w/ no capable backup!

SR carries by game:
-UNI - 21 carries (he was healthy most of the game)
-Iowa - 8 carries (25% of our rushes)
-Tulsa - 14 (32% of our rushes)
-Texas - 17 (34%)
-Tech - 11 (28%)

No way SR can get healthy when he's rushing the ball that many times per game. I know the staff wants that to be our offensive identity but that's only going to work with a mostly healthy QB. And we all know we don't have that.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

It's clear we need him healthy but we continue to give him 1/3 of our rushing attempts (see above post). Personally, I see that as mismanaging the QB position.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't get this. ISU is not very likely to win this game anyway, yet may have a chance at some of the remaining games, especially with a healthy Sam. So why not sit him, and let him get healthy, if a week off would really be a big help to his recovery. It just makes so much sense to me to sit him this week, especially if it means he will be a lot closer to 100 percent by next week.

It makes sense in theory but I think this is where it goes wrong. I really really doubt this is an injury that he'll almost get over with a week off. Maybe he'd come back at 80% and would likely take a hit that erases all the healing he did, like in the Texas game.

cyclonefan59

Jul 3, 2006
Clarksville, Tn
It makes sense in theory but I think this is where it goes wrong. I really really doubt this is an injury that he'll almost get over with a week off. Maybe he'd come back at 80% and would likely take a hit that erases all the healing he did, like in the Texas game.

Since the Liberty bowl, we have played Richardson repeatedly when he was not healthy and it is painfully obvious to everyone. If Rohach is so bad, why didn't we recruit Waters from juco instead of letting him go to K-State???

Mess and Rhoads apparently thought Richardson wasn't so good last year as they let hi rot on the bench most of the season playing musical chairs with two guys that played poorly most of the time.

I have almost zero faith in Mess and Rhoads in coaching/evaluating QB's. We have had the worst QB play in the Big 12 during Rhoads tenure (and before to be fair). We just got beat by a true freshman QB and we won't play Rohach?????????

Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This x100. If our #1 QB is so important (and obviously he is if the backup isn't ready to take snaps when SR is playing on 1 leg) they why the hell has the staff put together a game plan where the QB runs the ball so much?? Its crazy to put your QB at risk w/ no capable backup!

SR carries by game:
-UNI - 21 carries (he was healthy most of the game)
-Iowa - 8 carries (25% of our rushes)
-Tulsa - 14 (32% of our rushes)
-Texas - 17 (34%)
-Tech - 11 (28%)

No way SR can get healthy when he's rushing the ball that many times per game. I know the staff wants that to be our offensive identity but that's only going to work with a mostly healthy QB. And we all know we don't have that.

You can't just go to ESPN and pull his rushing stats. Remove sacks/scrambles please.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I was especially intrigued by the positive things he said about Lanning.