Rhoads Quote

Discussion in 'Football' started by CyVik7, Sep 4, 2013.

1. CyVik7

CyVik7 Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    “We could have played a lot better with simple adjustments by personnel and scheme, ..."

I may be looking too much into this quote, but I believe this was a hint for us fans that CPR has noticed that the scheme and second half adjustments were horse **** from Mess's side.... You could see the adjustments made from wally's side of the ball (only 7 pts given up in 2nd half), so I don't think he was talking about that.

Maybe a move has already been made inside the team that won't be released publicly regarding call playing duties....

Let's hope.

2. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    I wouldn't say that was all directed at Mess. Scheme was all Mess but the personnel choices are on all the coaches from Rhoads on down.

3. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    #3 Clonefan94, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    It seems like he was pretty upset by what was going on that game. He also made the comment during the locker room report (don't remember the quote) About how playcalling should have been better.

Maybe it's just the fact that he finally sees what everyone else does. I don't care how good of an FCS team they are, you only score two touchdowns against them, might as well call it a season. Our offense is an absolute joke, and for the first time in a lot of years, it wasn't because of QB play.

On the personnel, well, that's kind of what this first game is about. Learning who can get the job done on the field, against a much lesser opponent, where a few mistakes won't cost you a game. Seems we got the personnel thing figured out early enough to stop the bleeding, problem is, is that our scheme on offense just doesn't allow us to come back and punch a team in the mouth.

I was very unhappy with the promotion of Messingham to OC, I haven't changed my stance on that one bit, as it seems his scheme regresses as time goes on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CyVik7

CyVik7 Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    True, personnel can come from coach Rhoads all the way down to the position coaches. Something has to change....

5. CyVik7

CyVik7 Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    And that is the most frustrating thing about it IMO!!!

6. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Also could be the most promising if you are really searching for a positive.

Easier to get those other players in line than to find a legit QB.

I thought Sam played about as well as he could've given the playcalling and offensive line, and didn't make any bad decisions other than possible holding the ball too long. But I have no idea whose fault it was just watching in the stadium.

7. rholtgraves

rholtgraves Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I big part of UNIs decreased production in the second half was due to turnovers. Thats what's scary is that UNI could have won by more if not for turnovers. Before the game I thought the only way UNI wins is if ISU turns it over multiple times and UNI doesn't at all. Well the opposite was true and they still won. ISU D played better in the third but in the 4th they gave up about 140 yards. That's when they should have been wearing UNI down not the other way around.

8. CyVik7

CyVik7 Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    This is also true, but in the 4th our Offense started to go 3&out more and that never helps a defense no matter who you're playing.

9. MilehighClone

MilehighClone Active Member

Sep 14, 2007
    In terms of personnel, I sometimes wonder if we aren't using too many players. Should we let the 1's go for at least the first 3 series and then mix and match after evaluating who is playing well and who is having an off night? It seems to me we have a very hard time finding a rhythm on offense.

10. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I always wonder what all of this looks behind the closed doors at the complex.

11. Land Grant

Land Grant Member

Oct 30, 2006
    CPR has made such statements before. Its only coach-speak. I don't predict any significant adjustments or changes. I will be delighted if proven wrong.

12. Daserop

Daserop Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Space Debris Collection
    The Bebop
    My opinion.

Rhoads gave Messingham the chance, along with time, to prove that he is a good OC. During Messingham's time as OC, there is evidence that he is not fit for the job. Paul realizes this and knows it isn't smart to just fire him / let him go. The smart thing is to get others involved in his work, so when Messingham is relieved of his duties is isn't as huge of a shock.

13. CyVik7

CyVik7 Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I picture all the coaches sipping on tea, sitting down around a circular table.

14. VTXCyRyD

VTXCyRyD Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I've always pictured it with them playing pool in a cigar smoke filled room, drinking beer, counting money, and laughing.

15. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    The Defensive coaches meeting room.

The offensive coaches meeting room.

16. VTXCyRyD

VTXCyRyD Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    It might also look like Katie (Jamie Pollard) holding the gun telling Travis (CPR) he knows what he has to do with Yeller (Messingham) going crazy in the shed.

17. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    He has said this before after a loss and even at half time. He is a smart guy I wonder if will step in at some point and make more offense play call decisions

18. CyVik7

CyVik7 Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Paul step in? I love CPR, but I don't think that would be something he would be good at. He is a defensive genius like Wally, I'd rather have him stick to that side of the ball. He should be worrying about finding someone who can call a game better than Mess.

19. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Problem could be anyone else on the staff calling plays could case issues between the coaches. Unless Mess is let go midseason and I don't see that happening. CPR has a FB mind, he can see what is and isn't working or something that may work. I am not saying he calls the plays but maybe have more input to what is called on gameday.

20. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    They're big boys and make a lot of money to be professional. I don't care if there are some icy stares by the water cooler if it gets our offense actually moving.