Resources...

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by tec71, Nov 27, 2006.

1. tec71

tec71 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Executive Director
    Ankeny, Iowa
    First I was not a convinced that D Mac hadn't earned one more year, but then I understood and accepted it, and now I'm a full fledged convert.

One question though, if D Mac is given $1.5M for his assistants and told to clean house, could he have brought in better coaches to run the game day show. They have been given totally different resources to work with. I think you still don't because you won't get the excitement that you've gottten now and you don't get truly outstanding people to come if they are worried you are on a short leash.

2. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Male
    Being awesome
    Clive
    Good point.

Mac was given the same type of elevation in resources, if not more, in terms of support for his program vs. his predecessor.

3. PolkCityClone

PolkCityClone Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Dan was too loyal to his coaches to clean house. I believe he was asked to fire Cotton and wouldn't do it.

4. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Urbandale
    It is widely believed that Mac was asked to clean house with the assistant coaches in order to keep his job, but he decided to walk away rather than fire everyone. He was too loyal to them.

5. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Exactly. Dan McCarney was very loyal, to a fault. He's still be here if he would have made significant changes to his staff. He didn't want to do it, I don't blame him - but that led to his resignation.

6. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Now his whole group can go after the North Carolina job.

7. loboclone

loboclone Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Western Sales Manager
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    RIP D-Mac, why are we debating this????????????? Time to move on isn't it? 1.5 mil for D-Mac asst wouldn't have made the difference.............

8. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Lobo - I didn't see anyone ripping D-Mac here. Your comment about the extra money for his assistants could be perceived as a knock on D-Mac though.

It is fact, that early in Dan's tenure at ISU, he was able to hire some pretty good assistants...even at the lower salaries. Eventually these guys realized they could do a lot better on the money department, so they moved on.

And finally, when the assistants started to get paid better money - it was too late. We had already had to replace our assistants with guys that would take lower money - thus not as good of quality.

Dan hired the assistants so he doesn't get a pass for this - just stating a dollars and cents fact.

9. VII_Fe

VII_Fe Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Mahomet, IL
    Butch Davis already has the UNC job, maybe Standford (Bob Bowlsby ties), maybe NC State, maybe Arizona State (previous Gene Smith ties).