Release: Voelker Steps Down to Pursue Ministry

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by ChrisMWilliams, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    AMES, Iowa – Iowa State assistant wrestling coach and former two-time NCAA 190-pound champion Eric Voelker is resigning to pursue a call to the ministry. Voelker, a three-time NCAA All-American as a Cyclone from 1987-89, had joined the staff of Iowa State head coach Kevin Jackson last fall.

“Eric has been a valuable asset to our wrestling program,†Jackson said. “He is respected by our wrestlers, alumni and prep coaches in Iowa and across the country. He is a great leader, which will serve him well in the ministry.â€

Voelker will be joining the staff of his church, Lutheran Church of Hope in West Des Moines.

“This past year has given me cause to refocus,†Voelker said. “For many years I have been moving been toward full-time ministry and believe that now is the time to go ‘all in,’ to use our Cyclone language.â€

Voelker had high praise for Jackson.

“Kevin is a great leader and working with him and the Iowa State wrestling program has been a special time in my life,†Voelker said. “The Iowa State wrestling program has a top-notch staff, a very supportive athletics department and a committed booster community. I am confident great achievements lie ahead.â€

Jackson knows that Voelker will continue to be a part of the Cyclone wrestling family.

“More than anything, Eric made an impact on our wrestlers by example,†Jackson said. “They see him as an individual who wouldn’t ask for any effort from another that he would not ask of himself. His place in Iowa State history is assured.â€

Jackson says a search for Voelker’s replacement is underway.

2. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    God hates ISU. :jimlad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Good reason! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    Uh-oh, first we're losing wrestling coaches so they can go win championships, now we're losing them to go pray? iz trubble.

:jimlad:

5. cykitt

cykitt Member

Sep 20, 2007
    My personal opinion was that it was a quick one year hire so that one of the paulson brothers could be hired for this coming year.

6. Scott34

Scott34 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Cedar Rapids
    That could be a high possibility.

7. cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Lutheran Church of Hope just announced Sunday that they are in the process of starting another satellite location in the Johnston/Dallas Center/Grimes area. Coincidence?

8. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Finally we lose a coach that elects to take a 'step up'.

9. buf87

buf87 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Male
    Iowa
    You have to remember that EV's dad passed away this past year and his daughter was in an accident. He had alot of personal things happen that caused him to refocus his priorities.

10. ricochet

ricochet Active Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Maybe we can hire both of them and tell the NCAA it is just 1 guy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. heyguy85

heyguy85 Active Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Teacher
    Iowa
    No one can blame him. Jackson will find another good assistant.

12. CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Johnston
    I can't remember the name of the couple in charge of the satellite location but it wasn't Voelker. The satellite church will start at one of the Johnston schools in the fall.

13. WrestlingWatch

Dec 6, 2009
    I want to thank Coach Voelker for everything he did for our wrestlers and team. I know personally that the wrestlers love and respect him. It will be hard to replace him, but we understand his decision.

Good luck to you Coach!

14. cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    The last name started with a "T". The gentleman looked like Dirk Nowitzki, definitely not a wrestler.

15. westcyedclone

westcyedclone Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Waukee
    Fritz Trost. Not completely sure on the spelling. Good luck to coach, sometimes life calls you in a completely different direction then you thought you were headed. Good for him.