Recruiting

Discussion in 'Football' started by mitchforcy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mitchforcy

mitchforcy Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Is anyone concerned that we only have six commits at the end of July?

2. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    Are you a new fan or something? We usually have no recruits, maybe one or two by now.

3. mitchforcy

mitchforcy Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Well you look at teams like Indiana who have almost their entire class full by and our program is by far better than Indiana's

4. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Nope

5. HtownCyclone

HtownCyclone Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    put me down for a :no:

We are at about what we usually are plus we are going to be brining in a small class this year anyways

6. CloneState1028

CloneState1028 Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned about the size of it, but a little concerned about how talented the guys we have committed really are.

• Like Like x 1
  7. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Until we upgrade our defensive talent, we won't likely see any more success than we had last year. Hopefully Paul can get some bigger LB's that can grow into DE's, some DE's that can grow into DL. Some DL/TE's that can grow into OL.

That is where we'll need to build this program. The front 7 on D and the OL.

8. tazclone

tazclone Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    #8 tazclone, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    No it is normal. No one from out of state wants to commit until they see the campus. once they visit (during gamedays) they commit. CPR has a 95%+ closing rate on recruits that visit campus. As did chizdick. And before you point out other teams, we recruit Florida, Texas and California heavily. Those kids will travel further to get here then anyone we are recruiting against. That and a lot of the kids a) have no idea where Iowa is located, b) think we are nothing but cornfields

9. jburke

jburke Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    IT Application Analyst
    Ankeny, IA
    Not worried, it is early when we get the visits in during the season, you will see more regular weekly commits.

10. CyForPresident

CyForPresident Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    We're in better position than most years.

11. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    This actually seems like the most commits we've had at the end of July in awhile.

12. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Not concerned at all. We will be fine. Like others have said, the key to our recruiting is getting kids on campus for games in the fall. That's when they start to commit in droves.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that we've gotten a few early commits. Even though they're not exceptionally highly ranked by Rivals or Scout, it means that we really wanted these guys enough to offer them scholarships early, so the coaches have them as high on their boards as some of the guys with more stars.

13. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    We need to get Christian French or Alex Carr to jump start in-state recruiting - I'm tired of Iowa owning it.

14. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Indiana is also not only a state with somewhat more talent instate than Iowa, they are also in the midst of the recruiting hotbeds of Ohio, Illinois and Michigan.

I would much rather get French simply because he seems an extremely talented kid. Instate recruiting is more a matter of ego than practicality.

15. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    This seems like a good number for us, with our tradition of struggling to get early commits. Kids don't commit here early, even on the 360.

16. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    It's a ton more than just "ego - just ask CPR, who talked about how critical it is to change the recruiting tide in the state of Iowa at the Coaches Clinic. He used K-State as an example; even though Kansas had few big-time prospects, Snyder's first recruiting priority was to own the state every year, and own KU.
    No different here.

17. JustRedman

JustRedman Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Gilbert
    Of course it is concerning when you look at other teams of our caliber that have 15 verbals already, but we don't have the location factor on our side. We are not in a talent hot bed, and often times need to have the kids actually make it here before they can make the call on whether they want to come here to play. I am confident that when kids start making trips up here in the fall to see the game and meet the coaching staff they will start to commit more frequently. I think our last 3 classes with CGC and CPR have been a talent upgrade and I expect CPR's personality to win over some kids and their parents. If we don't have any more commits come November then I will be scared, but that isn't going to happen.

18. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    You don't think our defensive talent is being upgraded? Have you seen the LBs and DBs that are freshmen this year? Klein and Knott? Jake McDonough?

How about the 5 freshmen OL?

Are you a new Cyclone fan or something?

• Like Like x 1