RECRUITING: Custer still a solid commitment

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, May 7, 2013.

1. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Just spoke to 2014 Cyclone commitment Clayton Custer. He is still 100 percent verbally committed to Iowa State. More details coming.

2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Excellent news!

“I was sad to hear that T.J. is leaving because I had a really good relationship with him,” said Custer. “But I committed to play for Coach (Fred) Hoiberg. That is who I am going to be playing for and that is who I am excited to be playing for. Nothing has changed. I am close with the whole coaching staff and the players so it didn’t change my decision at all.”

3. Thompsonclone

Thompsonclone Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ames
    Good news. What about Thomas? Rivals had Otz as his leading recruiter.

4. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

He's already signed, but I hope he's cool with it anyway.

5. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    He loves a lot more about Ames than just TJ, he didn't live here for a year solely to hang out with the coach.

6. Thompsonclone

Thompsonclone Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ames
    Sounds like if Fred left Thomas would leave too so I'm not sure there is that much about Ames that would keep him. I was just making sure he was solid on ISU and I do agree that he seems solid on ISU but that was before Otz left so you never truly know until he says anything. I read Hines' article and Thomas said Otz leaving doesn't change his mind on ISU, thankfully.

7. LLCoolJansma

LLCoolJansma Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Quality
    Minneapolis
    Before anyone starts to worry about Matt Thomas like Custer he is all in on ISU.

Matt Thomas, the headliner of ISU’s 2013 class, and Clayton Custer, ISU’s only 2014 commit, both told the Ames Tribune on Tuesday that they remain committed to ISU even after Otzelberger's decision to take a top assistant's job at the University of Washington.

“(Otzelberger) was a big factor in me coming to Iowa State so it’s tough,” said Thomas, who signed a National Letter of Intent last November, “but I understand why he’s doing what he’s doing.”
    “I committed to come play for coach Hoiberg,” add Thomas. “As long as he’s there, so will I.”

Custer, who can’t sign with ISU for another six months, echoed those sentiments.

“I was sad,” said Custer, “but I’m happy for (Otzelberger), and I’m still excited about the opportunity to play at Iowa State.”Thomas and Custer sticking with Cyclones | Ames Tribune