Rebuilding/Judgment

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by cycook, Feb 26, 2008.

1. cycook

cycook Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Just curious what everyone else thinks, but I think evaluations of the rebuilding and coaching become relevant next season. So, in other words, treat next season like Mac's first real season. I honestly think his first two seasons can be forgotten without penalty. Anyone agree?

2. Clone_12

Clone_12 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    #2 Clone_12, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
    Re: Rebuilding/Judgement

I think that's a fair assessment...There have definately been some exceptions, but for the most part both this year's team and last year's team have both played to their potential, and sometimes exceeded it (although the results haven't showed it much) under some very difficult circumstances...next year most of our roster will be McD's guys. We'll still be kind of young but it'll be a lot easier to get a feel of where things are headed for our program. I'm also looking forward to seeing Griffin, Beasley, Walker, Rush, Augustin, etc. leave!

3. MJAnderson

MJAnderson Member

Nov 16, 2007

I would agree. I still don't see us being great next season but we should see some improvement, and I think we will.

4. Iastfan112

Iastfan112 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006

I'm willing to give Mac a pass on his first season as he really did get thrown into the fire and essentially consider this his first season. Why would you throw out this one as well?

5. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006

If we have a good year next year, they'll be forgotten without penalty. If we suck again next year, they will be rehashed with a religious ferver.

6. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant

I, for one, think Mac has done a terrific job despite the talent level that we have, the distractions that have taken place, the attrition, injury to Wes, etc.

His first real recruiting class is still kind of tough to call, but besides Brackins' slump, him and Garrett have put in a lot a quality minutes and will continue to improve, and Lucca will be starting next year so that is something else to look forward to. I don't think you can blame Mac for Brister and Vette leaving.

I think that he has done a terrific job with Jiri, and look forward to seeing what he can do with Brackins, Hamilton, and Mann.

7. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX

I am willing to lump last season and this season into one, and treat next season like Year 2. Between mass defections, the NCAA, injuries, etc., McDermott has not had much of a fair shake at building anything stable. Yes, the coach is ultimately responsible for retaining players, but he's dealt with some tough circumstances thus far, and I think most reasonable people are willing to give him a mulligan for that...for now.

Starting next year, however, we'll all want to see some improvement, or the murmurs in the shadows right now will become louder.

You will also likely take some heat from 2 groups of haters for this thread:

1) those who hate people who start new threads about topics that have been discussed repeatedly (albeit in the past), and
    2) those who hate people making excuses

8. cycook

cycook Member

Dec 4, 2006

true, but those people don't have to open this thread and read it.

9. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Ankeny, IA

Good post, I totally agree!!

"Religious ferver", ya, it might get scary!!! Paul Clark might have to shut down ISU Confidential for the winter.

10. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX

You'd think so, but they'll still liable to read this thread anyway and flame you for it.

11. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    This program will make a big step up next year. If you look at this team now they have improved so much from week 1. Next years brings more players with experence in the system, more depth, more shooters, more experence in games. A big thing that would help this years team is learing how to finish a game, that will come with the things I just listed.

12. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    I'm a Mac guy, I really like him but next year is year 3...period. All this talk about throwing out seasons and 'this' season is really 'this' season is insane. Mac had his oppurtunities to retain some good players and he failed to do so. He has to take some responsability for that and we as fans have to hold him to it.

It's funny I don't see the Gene Chizik threads saying next season is really his first season and the season after next is really his 2nd...

13. cycook

cycook Member

Dec 4, 2006
    how many players left when chizik was named coach......

14. cyclonenum1

cyclonenum1 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Ditto this! MEMO TO EVERYONE...IT ALL COUNTS!

I saw McDermott come to Baton Rouge and beat an LSU team that would make the Final Four with his last UNI team. I had great hope when he took over the program and that is beginning to fade for me.

If you want to think these past two seasons really don't count maybe you should ask McDermott for his salary back. We really shouldn't pay a guy for something that doesn't count and it would help the Athletic Department budget.

15. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Its a tough call. How many people want to start over again?

16. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha

Good question. About the same number? Being realistic, we will not be much better next year. We lose Rashon and Jiri and gain Wes and Lucca and some freshmen. To do better, Craig and Diante and SH need to get much stronger and more aggressive. Who will be our most aggressive person next year? That is one of the knocks on the old UNI teams. When rough and tumble teams played them, the finesse did not work that much unless you played a perfect game. Are we ready to play perfect next year?

17. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    I think it is another reason why UNI faded towards the end of the year every year. When you rely on the jump shot and you start to get tired, you have to do something to overcome that.

18. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    Sure, Mac was at UNI for a number of years and working with players that he recruited and played their careers under his system.

When Mac got here he was left with Clark, Hubalek, and Johnson that played under "fun and gun" Wayne. How do you expect him to step in right away and win 20 games with that while instilling a new system and no real bench help? I don't care if Mike Kzyzewski or Dean Smith came in, they would be in the same boat. Oh wait, they are proven winners, so that is another story...

Well guess what, so is Mac!! look at his records from his previous schools that have been posted here numerous times. First couple of years, around .500, years after, darn near all 20 win seasons.

19. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Murmur....murmur...