Real Estate Sales Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by acody, Apr 4, 2008.

1. acody

acody Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Let's say you look at a house for sale listed with real estate agent A/real estate company A. You then decide later that you're interested in the house to buy. However, you want to buy the house through real estate agent B and real estate company B.
    Does the mere step of not contacting real estate agent B first, cut him out of any commisssion?
  2. CyBelieve

CyBelieve Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Commission is paid to the agent you have right the deal with. I assume that the agents have talke "Agency" with you. It's best to make sure you have an agent looking out for your best interst, which is usually not the same agent as the listing agent (that's called duel agency). I assume this is your first time buying a home?
  3. jumbopackage

jumbopackage Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2007
    the listing agent and the buyers agent are USUALLY two different agents.

The buyer's agent and the listing agent both get a cut of the sale, usually around 2.5 each. If the agent does both, they will get a take closer to 5%.

It doesn't matter who you talk to when, really. I don't think money changes hands until the deal is done.
  4. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006
    I believe that the agent B shouldn't sell it to you per their code/laws. But if it is your choice (B didn't steal you) and you didn't want too business with agent A for a legit/good reason, you can without anything happening to Agent B or you. I have a friend who is one and I will ask.

5. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006

1. if you haven't signed an buyer/agent agreement you are in the clear, otherwise Agent will get a commission if not all of it.
    2. Agent A may claim threshold rights (not a big deal)
    3. make sure Agent B takes you through the house and shows you before you make an offer
    4. Have Agent B's broker call Agent A's broker so they know what is going on.
    5. Let Agent B's broker know that don't wish to do business with Agent A so that can communicated in item 3. No real reason is given, but usually just saying for personal reasons is enough.
  6. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Grimes, IA
    until you sign anything that says someone is your exclusive agent its fair game. usually an agent won't make you sign anything until you make a formal offer.