Random Thoughts Thread - Murder House Game

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Boy do I feel like a schmuck. I had an advantage on every round but was still nervous about attacking my first choice when Pants chose to defend. I thought for sure that he had at the very least Nickels (sorry for doubting you!) when she was actually in my camp.
Thanks again to all the RTTers who supported this "part-time" RTTer. :notworthy:

I kind of like the idea of some sort of downside to choosing to defend. Although I think people discovered that there ultimately was a downside if you weren't already at the very bottom because without a battle victory it is harder to add ghosts.

The best part of this game (other than the aforementioned write ups by GTO) was the efforts by the majority of posters to make it fun - win or lose. Kudos to Fake Donald Trump for starters.

JC was pretty good with the gifs & memes also!

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Boy do I feel like a schmuck. I had an advantage on every round but was still nervous about attacking my first choice when Pants chose to defend. I thought for sure that he had at the very least Nickels (sorry for doubting you!) when she was actually in my camp.
Thanks again to all the RTTers who supported this "part-time" RTTer. :notworthy:

I kind of like the idea of some sort of downside to choosing to defend. Although I think people discovered that there ultimately was a downside if you weren't already at the very bottom because without a battle victory it is harder to add ghosts.

The best part of this game (other than the aforementioned write ups by GTO) was the efforts by the majority of posters to make it fun - win or lose. Kudos to Fake Donald Trump for starters.
Completely agree. I would also like to say thanks to everyone who participated and made it fun. Props to all the people that continued visiting the thread even after losing. This just started from a small idea (RTT house) and it just took off from there. Additionally, I'd like to thank all the ghosts for continuing to play and reply to all my PMs.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
An excellent way to add a random factor to the attacks would be to use something like this http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

To generate random attack and defense rolls. For example, if I and 5 ghosts attack someone with 2 ghosts, my attack roll would be 6d6 (randomly generated total of 6 6 sided dice) and the defenders roll would be 3d6. Highest total wins.
Can't say I totally understand it, but can definitely look into it. We found another one which works like the NBA Draft lottery. It lets you assign a total number of balls (ghosts) to two players and then randomly pick based on probability (somebody with 1 ghost vs. somebody with 5 ghosts would have a 1 in 5 chance of winning the battle).

http://www.draftpicklottery.com/index.php

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Done open up the game to outside posters. There's plenty of people in the thread already, and you never know what you're gonna get.
Maybe we just keep it to RTT and if anyone is interested from outside, we can let them in. We only had two who were rarely in RTT but played this time around (Farnsworth, CoKane). Not likely many outside people want to visit the thread when they see the words Random Thoughts Thread on the title, anyway. Oh, and someone needs to convince Carvers to play next time around. That needs to happen.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
During lunch I played around with using a random number generator to create a weighted system of doing battle depending on the total number of ghosts available and the number of ghosts for each player.

Say 10 total players so 10 ghosts available
Player 1 has 5 ghosts + 1 for them self = 6
Player 2 has 2 ghosts + 1 for them self = 3
Player 1 would get a random number between 6 and 16
Player 2 would get a random number between 3 and 13
Whomever gets the highest number would win. As it is now a tie is a do over.
Player 1 has better odds of getting a higher number because he has a higher range of numbers to select from.

I just did a 50 run sample and Player 1 would have won 40 times
Subsequent 50 sample runs gave Player 1 victories anywhere from 31 - 41 out of 50

Switching the ghosts to player 1 with 7 and player 2 with 2
Player 1 won 48 times over a 50 run sample
Ran that test a second time and player 1 won 40 times.

Could probably figure out different ways to additional weights. Like ghosts won in battle weigh more than ghosts that were attached to you.

Could also add trivia ghosts won to a players range.

So if we took the original example with 5 trivia ghosts

Player 1 has 5 ghosts + 1 for them self + 5 trivia ghosts = 11
Player 1 would get a random number between 11 and 26 (total range increased from 10 to 15 due to 5 trivia ghosts)
Player 2 would get a random number between 3 and 13 (standard range of 10 because no trivia ghosts)

Or

Player 2 has 2 ghosts + 1 for them self + 5 Trivia ghosts = 8
Player 1 would get a random number between 6 and 16 (standard range of 10 because no trivia ghosts)
Player 2 would get a random number between 8 and 23 (total range increased from 10 to 15 due to 5 trivia ghosts)
Player 2 won 40 times
Subsequent 50 run samples produced 39, 41, 34 wins for Player 2.

So depending on the number of ghosts a player has, their odds of winning a battle would increase but it isn't just a simple win strictly due to number of ghosts

Ok, I went beyond just lunch.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
During lunch I played around with using a random number generator to create a weighted system of doing battle depending on the total number of ghosts available and the number of ghosts for each player.

Player 1 would get a random number between 6 and 16
Player 2 would get a random number between 3 and 13
Whomever gets the highest number would win. As it is now a tie is a do over.
Player 1 has better odds of getting a higher number because he has a higher range of numbers to select from.

I just did a 50 run sample and Player 1 would have won 40 times
Subsequent 50 sample runs gave Player 1 victories anywhere from 31 - 41 out of 50

Switching the ghosts to player 1 with 7 and player 2 with 2
Player 1 won 48 times over a 50 run sample
Ran that test a second time and player 1 won 40 times.

Could probably figure out different ways to additional weights. Like ghosts won in battle weigh more than ghosts that were attached to you.

Could also add trivia ghosts won to a players range.

So if we took the original example with 5 trivia ghosts

Player 1 has 5 ghosts + 1 for them self + 5 trivia ghosts = 11
Player 1 would get a random number between 11 and 26 (total range increased from 10 to 15 due to 5 trivia ghosts)
Player 2 would get a random number between 3 and 13 (standard range of 10 because no trivia ghosts)

Or

Player 2 has 2 ghosts + 1 for them self + 5 Trivia ghosts = 8
Player 1 would get a random number between 6 and 16 (standard range of 10 because no trivia ghosts)
Player 2 would get a random number between 8 and 23 (total range increased from 10 to 15 due to 5 trivia ghosts)
Player 2 won 40 times
Subsequent 50 run samples produced 39, 41, 34 wins for Player 2.

So depending on the number of ghosts a player has, their odds of winning a battle would increase but it isn't just a simple win strictly due to number of ghosts

Ok, I went beyond just lunch.

Half way through my brain hurt from the math. Hopefully GTO is better at math than me. 8 for sure is.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
If you have 6 ghosts to someone's 3, and you only win 31/50 times, that doesn't seem weighted enough to me. You have double the ghosts but only will win a little over half the time?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like the idea of the 6 sided dice solution mentioned earlier. If someone has 1 ghost they are rolling one virtual die. If they have two ghosts they roll 2 virtual dice. So in that case it is a probability spread of 1-6 vs. 2-12. It is weighted since there is only one combination that will yield a roll of 2 with two dice and one that will yield a 12, 2 combinations that will yield a 3 or 11 but multiple combinations that will yield results of 4-10. It takes pretty crazy rolls for a player with 5 dice (all 1's) to get beat by a player with 1 (a 6) but it can happen.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Personally, I think the NBA lottery generator GTO found on line would work just fine.
Probably would, I never looked at that

In regards to your other question, Instead of just going a straight number of ghosts vs number of ghosts, your odds would be based on your number of ghosts in relation to the total ghosts available. Then add the trivia ghosts to that when they came available.

It was just something that popped into my head so I started playing with it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Personally, I think the NBA lottery generator GTO found on line would work just fine.

Being as close as I am to the Timberwolves and seeing their history of having a lot of chances in draft lotteries and seeing them only get the first pick once in their history and repeatedly ending up below their pick if they picked by record rather than lottery, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the NBA model.

A little dated since they did finally get a #1 pick out of the lottery last year but still...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...luckiest-teams-in-nba-lottery-history/page/10

Warning: BR

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Probably would, I never looked at that

In regards to your other question, Instead of just going a straight number of ghosts vs number of ghosts, your odds would be based on your number of ghosts in relation to the total ghosts available. Then add the trivia ghosts to that when they came available.

It was just something that popped into my head so I started playing with it.

I don't like using your chances to win based on the overall number of ghosts available because is 1 v 1 competition. How many ghosts Velo has shouldn't effect my odds when I'm playing Bawbie.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The NBA lottery is designed to be far enough away from "fair" to dissuade NBA teams from tanking for the draft pick. I think we want to throw in an element of surprise and uncertainty in there without making it a crap shoot.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I don't like using your chances to win based on the overall number of ghosts available because is 1 v 1 competition. How many ghosts Velo has shouldn't effect my odds when I'm playing Bawbie.
I'm not an actuary so I can't say for certain how all that odds of thing happen works but I don't think it really works that way. It is your number vs Bawbies in regards to the total available. I could add in a extra bit to take into account the difference in ghosts just like with trivia ghosts earned to weight the odds a bit more in favor.

Or I could go mtown

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron