RAGBRAI in Des Moines

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cycsk, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #1 Cycsk, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    I was really looking forward to the RAGBRAI night in Des Moines being a great display of our capitol city for people from all over the country. However, they put the campground way back in Water Works Park, so people experienced West Des Moines on their ride in, but not downtown or East Village unless they went a few more miles or took a bus. I'll bet that many riders didn't even see Des Moines until they rode out this morning.

Further, putting the Expo and Events on the Court and Walnut bridges was really cool, but it was way too far from the campground. If they had used the Capitol grounds for the campground, I think it would have been a much better experience of Des Moines for everyone.

Also, what was it like for traffic this morning as the thousands of riders trickled out of town? It is bad enough in the little towns, but it must have been really tough in Des Moines.

2. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    My understanding is that they had free buses to downtown from Water Works.

3. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    It's only a couple miles to downtown from Waterworks Park, isn't it?

4. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    #4 brianhos, Jul 24, 2013
    Where did you expect DSM to put all those people other than water works? I thought DSM did a great job getting people downtown for all the big fun last night. I rode through water works after the ride from Perry yesterday, and was amazed by all the people, and how well done it was.

The capital grounds were not nearly big enough for this amount of people.

5. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Urbandale
    Doubt there is room for all the RVs and buses at the Capital grounds.

6. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Correct, there was a free bus running every few min.

Yes, it is pretty close.

7. DSMCy

DSMCy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Male
    West Des Moines
    There were roughly 40K people downtown last night. I would estimate it was 50/50 riders and non-riders. I don't think the distance was much of a hindrance.

As was also stated, they had free shuttles to and from the campground.

Last night was a great display for Des Moines. The new Riverwalk area is amazing and great for the city. Any detractors are just looking for something to complain about IMO.

8. nrg4isu

nrg4isu Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Software
    Springpatch, Illinois
    I road into Des Moines yesterday, but had to head back to Illinois last night for work. I agree that it would have been better to stay at the capitol instead of water works. Water works park was terrible - very muddy uneven ground. Worst campsite I've seen in the 11 (8 full) ragbrai's I've done. Pathetic for the largest city in Iowa to do such a poor job of locating riders. I'm actually glad I didn't have to stay there last night.

It's okay for the campgrounds to be separated from the events, but in general the events are better and more well attended if riders can walk/ride easily to the area. Busses help, but there are a lot of people who just decide not to bother.

9. nrg4isu

nrg4isu Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Software
    Springpatch, Illinois

Calling BS on that one.

Downtown might have been awesome, but the campground was absolutely terrible. And this is coming from someone who didn't have to stay there!

10. chuckd4735

chuckd4735 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    MO/KS
  11. DSMCy

DSMCy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Male
    West Des Moines
    I didn't ride or stay in the campground last night. I was happily at home in my own bed.

But what could have been so terrible? It's RAGBRAI, not the Four Seasons.

12. Incyte

Incyte Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Ragbrai should stay out of DSM and CR IMO.

13. iowa_wildcat

iowa_wildcat Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Ames
    #13 iowa_wildcat, Jul 24, 2013
    "I road into Des Moines yesterday, but had to head back to Illinois last night for work. I agree that it would have been better to stay at the capitol instead of water works. Water works park was terrible - very muddy uneven ground. Worst campsite I've seen in the 11 (8 full) ragbrai's I've done. Pathetic for the largest city in Iowa to do such a poor job of locating riders. I'm actually glad I didn't have to stay there last night."

Dude, you cannot even spell "rode" and you complain about something that took some tall planning. I take it that you did not get lucky on your trek halfway across Iowa.

14. chuckd4735

chuckd4735 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    MO/KS
    Yeah, I'm sure when the RAGBRAI organizers read this thread, they are going to be kicking themselves.

"CAMP OUT AT THE CAPITAL? OMG! WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT?"

15. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    We went to the events and had a good time. My observation was that the majority of riders in the campground didn't, but would have if it had been closer.

16. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Yeah it is terrible for those poor communities to get an infusion of millions of dollars.

17. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

That was part of what I had in mind with my initial post. Getting people out of the campgrounds in to downtown is good in lots of ways.

Also, I was surprised that they didn't make a bigger deal out of our fantastic sculpture park. That would have been a huge hit with riders.

18. michaelrr1

michaelrr1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    WDM
    I'm just glad they're gone.

19. Incyte

Incyte Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2007
    That's my point. Keep it in the more rural communities who need it more and appreciate it more. There's a reason it soesn't come through the big cities often-the riders don't like those stops.

20. 06_CY

06_CY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm sure the majority of riders just hated it last night...