Quote from Coach Martin on loss via ESPN

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by zach, Mar 6, 2010.

1. zach

zach Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2006
    The Subs
    "I thought we were real good at practice yesterday, but I think some of our inconsistencies during the course of the year kind of showed their ugly heads today," Kansas State coach Frank Martin said. "My hat's off to Greg McDermott. As disappointed as I am in our guys, I'm extremely happy for him, happy for those kids. With all the close losses they've had this year, [McDermott] continues to get those kids to play as hard as he does. I'm real happy for Greg."

Martin is easy to dislike, however, decent quote from him.

Z

2. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    When Martin came into the league I really disliked him...but the guy has grown on me. He may be dirty but he get's his guys to play hard and he seems to be a pretty stand up guy with the press.

3. CloneState1028

CloneState1028 Well-Known Member

Classy. Very classy.

4. Jack & Hilton

Jack & Hilton Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    He had a good quote after the Feb 6 game in Ames where he dissed Lucca. I like him.

5. cyclonestate

cyclonestate Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Say what you want about Frank Martin, but that was a very classy comment.

6. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    He's grown on me, too. He graciously wore pink tennis shoes at our "pink out" game in Ames earlier this year. He can be abrasive, but I think there's another side to him.

7. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    1st class all the way!
    Thanks, Frank.

8. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Very very classy. I knwo the theory is out there that coaches always stick up for Mac because him staying helps them. I think that is ridiculous. I don't think coaches really think that way for one. For another, if they did none of them actually think what they say will influence decisions whether that is reality or not. Again, and I ahte to keep having to say this, but I don't know that Greg will work here but I do not think what other coaches say is to further their own agenda of winning. I think they do believe he is a good coach.

I know this quote doesn't say anything about Mac being a good coach, but I think the fact that our guys have continued to play hard this season, nevermind everything they overcame today at least speaks to one part of Macs coaching.

9. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    I like Frank and will root for them in the NCAA.

10. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

You know, if he didn't look like he came straight from Good Fellas, I'd probably like him more. I can honestly say that I haven't heard him say anything that wasn't classy.

11. brokenloginagain

brokenloginagain Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2006
    I've watched several KSU games this year and win or lose Martin always looks very gracious in the handshake line at the end of games. He spent about 30 seconds with DG, shaking his hand and patting him on the chest. Same with Brackins. Martin looked our players in the eye and was saying more than the usual "good game."

• Like Like x 1
  12. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    He does seem like he has a lot more class than we've given him credit for.

13. moforisu

moforisu Active Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Male
    Very classy Frank, I appreciate the kind words for our team and coach from maybe the coach of the year. Good luck to you in the NCAA, I'll be rooting for you.

14. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Did you notice after the game that Mac pulled aside Jacob Pullen and had a somewhat lengthy chat with him? Word is that Denis Clemente stormed off in a fit, and Mac wanted Pullen to make sure he congratulated Clemente on Mac's behalf for a great career.

It's nice to hear about coaches doing and saying the right things, and I don't think we ever have to worry about Mac in this regard. Yes, he needs to right the ship and win more, but you simply cannot question his commitment to building character and showing character himself.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Frank is very similar to coach Mac in my opinion, coach Mac isn't as abrasive as martin is but they will both coach their ***** off and expect nothing less from their players on and off the court and expect them to conduct themselves as such. I would have no problem sending my son to play for either one of them...if I had a son.

16. madcityCY

madcityCY Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Architect
    Madison, WI
    I have never seen anything from Martin that I am disappointed with! He is "intense," which can be taken negatively when your a rival/ opponent, but I honestly love this guy - passionate, classy, and gets his men to PLAY! Don't see anything wrong with that.

17. CB21

CB21 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Sioux Falls
    Like people have said it's very easy not to like Frank. But he has said some good things about coach and this program. Very classy.

18. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Yeah, his position as coach of an opposing team automatically places him on my **** list, but some coaches do work their way up from there.

19. justcynn

justcynn Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Cabot, AR
    My unscientific polling of the flavor of posts after a great win show that the fans 1) think McD is a great guy 2) Other coaches clearly think the same but also add he is a great basketball coach (something the results just haven't proven out yet) and 3) If he somehow the team starts to win and start making NCAA Tournaments - the negativity surrounding the W-L record will disappear much faster than the 4 years that has gotten us to this point.

This year was a disappointment for sure, no better way to right that than make some sort of a run in the big 12 tournament if for nothing else, build on this win with more confidence for the players that return that we can WIN at this level. UNI has no Craig Brackens or Marquis Gilstraps and they are winning, Maybe McD can find the right chemistry on a team in the next year or two and do the same

20. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha

DG had a great final two minutes. He led the way to the win. No wonder Frank talked to him.