Quiet Confidence with this team...

Discussion in 'Football' started by jburke, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jburke

jburke Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    IT Application Analyst
    Ankeny, IA
    I know this phrase has been thrown around a lot through the Spring and into Summer camp, I am not sure I know how to take it yet. As a long time cyclone fan when camp is this quiet in the past the coach was usually try to hide the lack of talent (Mac era). I know things have changed and I truly want to believe more then anything that this team has a ton of athletic fast young talent but I just can't drink all my Koolaid, I need to sit through th UNI game. What is everyone else's take, is this all coach speak or should we all have this 'quiet confidence'???? Trust me I am. All-IN no matter what.

2. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    I've gathered they are real real excited about this teams potential, but real worried about how young it is and the lack of experience. Just depends on the learning curve and how long it takes to click.

3. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Great way to put it. Our staff has said we have a lot of catching up to do. Young guys with a lot to learn by game one. Last season we had a lot of older guys who "got it". They were about as good as they were going to be.

4. CascadeClone

CascadeClone Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    IDK... my inner Cyclone, behaviorally conditioned for trauma to the groin, worries it could be the opposite. The coaches might know that it is going to have a tough year, and so might be laying the "storyline" for that tough year. IE "we lost a lot of games, but hey we have talent so come back in 2014". That's my fear for 2013. Hopefully it turns out to be unfounded fear.

5. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    After being a Cyclone fan for so long I refuse to make predictions until I see the first game.
    For me it is going to come down to how the offense performs.

6. vmbplayer

vmbplayer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Ankeny
    Coaches seemed too genuinely excited after scrimmage 2 for me to believe that's it.

7. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Same here. I'll make some guesses just because it's August and there isn't anything else to do but until I see us against UNI (and really until after Tulsa) I'm not going to have any kind of confidence in how good/bad/mediocre we're going to be this season.

8. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I'll be tickled to death if we go to a bowl this year, and certainly think we can. But I also think we could wind up with only 4 wins. I do feel like we are one year away from being REALLY good, and by that I mean 8+ wins.

9. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    #9 CyTwins, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    After scrimmage 2 I feel better about where we are but CPR did say we are farther behind this year now compared to last year so hopefully they can put it all together sooner rather than later

10. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Obviously, you can't replicate real game experience, so the youth can be concerning and there certainly be growing pains with that (turn overs, missed assignments, etc) and in close games that can be the dagger (and as you know, thankfully, our team has a mentality that they CAN play with anyone and we typically are in most games).

I like Sam...can tell he is confident and ready to be a leader. We have the tools there on offense to move the ball.

As for defense, young...but hungry.

I've talked with some of the players and they are "all in" in regards to putting in the time in the weight room and film room and from what I hear, each class is further ahead than those before them.

11. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    90% of what coaches are spitting out is coach speak. The other 10% is related to position battles, that much we can believe to be true.

12. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    This x 1000. The past several times we've played UNI we've been manhandled at the LOS on both sides of the ball. If we are running for 1-2 yards on first down again I'll have seen everything I need to know.

13. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    here's to hoping the days of sweating out a victory against uni are behind us.

14. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I really feel like Coach K, with his pistol expertise, will have the O-line fine-tuned to open holes for the RBs.

15. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    See....stuff like this, I try to avoid thinking about. It only makes the next 11 days,8 hours and 42 minutes go by that much more slowly......come on August 31st!!!

16. jahfg

jahfg Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ames
    The only thing I'm confident in is Sam Richardson being a better quarterback than Steele Jantz, and it isn't close.

17. Leidang

Leidang Member

Apr 27, 2006
    I'm with you on Coach K being a catalyst but I think it is going to be for more than his pistol experience. Watching the position workouts on cyclones.tv and comparing them to Bliel the last couple years I think coach K works them alot harder. I think the OL are going to be stronger, tougher, and meaner than they have been. Bliel's workouts seemed to be all about having your hands and feet in exactly the right place, counting steps, etc. Coach K seems more about explosiveness, hard work, and effort. Don't get me wrong technique is important but without the physicality it doesn't mean a whole lot. I see the OL taking a big step forward this year.

18. CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Urbandale
    This is what I don't understand....the coaches are so hyped up

19. cloneluke80

cloneluke80 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    West Des Moines, IA
    Yeah if we go 3-0 decisively then I will up our chances for a bowl. Until then, I have seen too much in my 18 year stint as an avid cyclone fb fan.

20. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    We have CPR... we are going bowling.