Pre game atmosphere

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CYVADER, Feb 2, 2014.

1. CYVADER

CYVADER Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Sales
    Cornfields
    What needs changed? Is it the video? Music? Jock jams? The last two Saturday games both against 2 top 24 teams has been severely lacking and it definitely carried over yesterday to the game. Last week we came out of it from a crowd standpoint but yesterday was as mild a hilton as I can remember unt the last five minutes. I realize not every game is Kansas or Michigan but still it needs a boost. Didn't they used to hange videos throughout the year to show more current highlights or maybe highlights of big past games against the team they are playing that day? And jock jams must go. Good win yesterday not trying to be Debbie downer after a win but think most would agree it could use a switch up. And I already emailed pollard.

2. zmanzbo

zmanzbo Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I blew yesterday and knowing this purposely just sat in the car and just listened to the pregame. Too bad we can't do it like KU does.

3. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I agree with this; our pregame grows increasingly stale each week.

4. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    I agree, our pregame atmosphere is rather blah. And I can't even go to the games, but I can sense it on TV. Whenever I watch a KU home game, you can feel the energy through the TV. You can't with our games.
    And yes, please get rid of Jock Jams. We can still use upbeat techno/house music to get the crowd pumped up, but please no more 2 Unlimited. We need to use a newer pregame music (i.e. Steve Aoki, Hard Rock Sofa, Hardwell etc) And I think Zombie Nation has also run it's course, too.

5. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Jock jams really does need to go. I love watching KU when on TV. Allen Field House is really rocking right before tip and through the entire game.

6. Thompsonclone

Thompsonclone Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ames
    Drake has a better pre-game. They turn their lights off (something I wish we did) and they have fire shoot out of their hoops. (At least they did for the Wichita State game)

7. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Better intro video might help some. Also, from what I can tell the atmosphere gets a huge boost when nearly all the seats are full opposed to having some empty ones here and there.

8. cycloner29

cycloner29 Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Marketing
    Ames
    Saw the title and thought you were talking about the Super Bowl!!

9. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    I think the pre game video this year is actually one of the better ones in past years, and I think it'd be a lot more effective with the lights dimmed.

10. zmanzbo

zmanzbo Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The video isn't the issue.....

11. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    For those who hate the jock jams.... by itself, yeah its nothing great, but guess what, it works, and its part of the gameday tradition at this point. It gets the fans going every game.

If there's anything thats an issue with our pregame, its not this.

Really wish we could do more with lighting and such.

12. CYVADER

CYVADER Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Sales
    Cornfields
    The rhythmic clapping is not so rhythmic. And jock jams does nothing but get people to try and rhythmic clap. It's awful and needs to go

13. jahfg

jahfg Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ames
    The losses took their toll. If we reel off 5 or 6 wins in a row, people will get to the games earlier. That's what it's all about. The students aren't filling their section and season ticket holders get to the game around tip. The crowd blew their load on Michigan and Kansas.

Comparing it to KU isn't fair. If we had won 9 conference titles in a row, Hilton would be packed early like AFH. KU basketball is all those people have. I was there Wednesday, and talked to many who had traveled hours to see the game. They wait outside the locker rooms for hours for autographs. It's a culture thing.

14. gogagig

gogagig Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008

The team is 16-4. Fans can't really blame the record on their lack of energy during pressmen. If Kansas was 16-4, AFH would still have be wildly Energetic during the per game. Wait, Kansas is 16-5.

15. Cyke

Cyke Active Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Des Moines, IA
    Use more current music. The students today were all born in the 90's. I loved the pregame for Cuse vs Duke. They played Bouncin' by Juicy J. Kids were lovin it. Maybe if we can relate to the students more, more of them will show up. Killin two birds with one stone here.

16. Cyclonesince78

Cyclonesince78 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Pregame atmosphere is fine, it's just the in game atmosphere that needs a lot of help. The section that I was sitting was basically felt like a day care center. Every 4 seats there was a 4 year old kid that couldn't care less about the game and was trying to get daddy's attention the whole game. Need to find a new section.

17. jahfg

jahfg Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ames
    Yeah, I addressed that. They've won 9 conference titles in a row. They've been to Final Fours, won national championships, an so on. We don't have that tradition. ISU fans love their Cyclones, but it isn't as cultish and maniacal as KU basketball fans. Until we have their success, I wouldn't expect us to have their pregame atmosphere.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just what I see. The losses took some wind out of our sails. We don't have the diehards that KU has to have a consistent "wildly Energetic" pregame atmosphere. We're on the right track, but until we string some sweet 16 appearances together, we will continue to have the 2nd best atmosphere in the Big 12. That doesn't mean it isn't a great place for CBB.

18. Cardinal2001

Cardinal2001 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Programmer
    Ames
    Also, everyone stayed in the stands stayed after the Duke-Orange game. There was crowd interaction, too.

Something to keep the crowd in the stands afterwards, and get them to show up early. You know the Texas schools all do this, too. At least for football.

19. jahfg

jahfg Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ames
    I forgot to mention that KU is not afraid to play rap in their pregame, and turn it up really loud. The players and student section are all dancing. Our gameday staff never has their finger on the pulse. I would love to see a group of students (not the type that run CA) put together some ideas. Grab some students from all over campus and let them go to work. It would be a cool project and students are much more creative than the 40-year-olds currently pumping out the Jock Jams.

20. gogagig

gogagig Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    Does the BOR decide the pregame entertainment?