pools and privacy fence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by isubeatle, Aug 4, 2010.

1. isubeatle

isubeatle Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Web Designer
    Des Moines
    So my recently new neighbors just recently bought an above ground pool for their back yard. It seems like it's something you would buy at Cosco or something and i'd say it's about 4-4.5ft deep and about a 8ft circumference. It looks terrible and trashy and i hate looking at it.

Does anyone know if they can have it up without a privacy fence around their backyard?

2. vmbplayer

vmbplayer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Ankeny
    I would think that depends on what city you live in. I doubt there is a state law about it.

3. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I would start by trying to look in a different direction, that may solve the problem.

4. nileo

nileo Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Grimes
    I wouldn't want the liability of a 5ft pool unprotected in my backyard. Doesn't take much for a 2 y/o to climb up and fall in. I am not aware of a law though, but then again, I don't have any pools except for the little plastic or air-filled kiddie pools that we empty at night.

5. KLoISU02

KLoISU02 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    SE IA
    I could be way off base here, and purely speculating without doing any research, but I would be surprised if their insurance allowed a pool without at least a six foot fence. A friend of mine has a hot tub and her insurance person said she would have to have a six foot fence.

6. ISUCLONES15

ISUCLONES15 Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Altoona
    If that doesn't work then I would recommend investing in a BB gun.

7. RyCy04

RyCy04 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    A 2 1/2 wide pool? Are you sure it isn't a garbage can?

• Like Like x 1
  8. bringmagicback

bringmagicback Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    Have you tried not looking at it yet? I'd say give that a shot and see what happens. If that doesnt work, I would murder the entire family and see if that helps. Good luck!

9. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown
    There's a city ordinance here that requires a fence around any pool. Not sure on the height requirement but I see white-trash pools all over town with that orange plastic construction fence around them. Pretty sure the city council didn't have that in mind when they made the ordinance:)

10. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown
    :biglaugh: nice catch

11. CYVADER

CYVADER Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Sales
    Cornfields
    depends on the city ordinances i would guess. i know it costs a lot more for insurance if you don't have a fence, and i wouldn't want to be liable for a neighborhood kid finding his way into mine-therefore i have a fence around mine. mine is an actual above ground pool though-full frame 18X30.

12. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Insurance company requires a 6 foot fence. Or you could quit hating on the kids next door. Give them there baseball back when they hit it in your yard and be a nice neighbor. Then again that is just my opinion. I really really hate when people think they own the neighborhood and want to take away some kids pool that he is pumped up about so that you don't have to look at it. Put down the hateraid. O.K. so maybe that term is a little old.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The community that I live in requires all pools above 18" depth (yes this includes many inflatable kiddie pools) to be protected by a 6' high fence with a self-closing gate latch. The city inspectors usually have their hands full keeping track of commercial and in-ground pools, but will respond to complaints if they get a call about a kiddie pool. The fence does not have to be a privacy type fence as the intent is to prevent drownings and pool-related accidents.

14. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Looks like Ames city ordinance says you need a fence with any pool. Check your city's website.

15. vmbplayer

vmbplayer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Ankeny
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFoGlgUV1pI]YouTube - redneck pool removal.......[/ame]

within this video lies your solution

16. GeronimusClone

GeronimusClone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    I find that the neighbor's kids don't bother me if I just put the laser scope on them from time to time.

17. isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
    Web Designer
    Des Moines
    i love all the cute sarcasm, so adorable.

anyway, i never said i was gonna call the city on them or anything. I haven't called the city on my other neighbor who won't trim the 8ft hedges that have grown over half the sidewalk.

i don't have kids and so for me it's only a huge trashy eyesore. but their neighbors do have 3 kids all under the age of 12.

i was mostly just curious is all.

18. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Have to laugh at the mentality. "I don't like something that is in my neighbor's yard, on his property. Can I make him put up a fence so I don't personally have to look at it? Can I call the city on him and get him in trouble?" Hilarious.

If you were my neighbor I'd tell you that if you don't like the way my property looks in my yard (on my side of the property line, on my lot) quit looking into my yard and mind your own business.

19. isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
    Web Designer
    Des Moines
    christ, when did you people all get so pissy on this site?

20. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    While I get the annoyance (on both sides) if there is a city law that requires a fence call the city if you want too. If the pool owner does not like the rules then they have a few recourses:

1. Get the city to change the law.
    2. Put up a fence.
    3. Take out the pool.
    4. Move.

Believe it or not, it still is a free country and while I am as big of a small government guy as you'll find local communities have the right to set their own rules. If you choose to live in said community I don't see why you should be exempt from them.