Panthers owner owns Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by creightonclone, Aug 25, 2011.

1. creightonclone

creightonclone Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Carolina Panthers' Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton -- No tats, piercings - ESPN

The owner is technically Cam Newton's boss, but I think he's taking this a little too far. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but this looks really nasty from a race point of view. An old, rich man from the South acting as though he owns a young black man? Sounds like the Panthers' owner wants to revive Dixie.

2. cyatheart

cyatheart Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    He owns the team and pays him millions a year. I would say he can do whatever he wants.

3. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I see no problems here.

4. CyBer

CyBer Guest

Yeah you can't really compare slavery to a million dollar player....

5. sodakjoe

sodakjoe Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    My employers at various times in my life have limited piercings, visible tattoos, hair dye colors, etc. I see absolutely no problems with this.

6. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    Yeah, Steinbrenner made his players keep their hair short and banned facial hair. I don't see the big deal here.

7. GeronimusClone

GeronimusClone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    Ask Adrian Peterson.

8. FarminCy

FarminCy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Panhandler
    Right Over There
    I don't know too many employers that don't have some sort of rules like that.

Most places you can't have visible tattoos, piercings (besides ears for women), and have outlandish hair. It's called a physical appearance and dress code.

This is another example of ESPN and other media outlets trying to make a story out of nothing.

9. Senolcyc

Senolcyc Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010

No it doesn't. Newton is an EMPLOYEE. And a very, very, very, very, very WELL-PAID one at that. Anyone who plays the race card here is way the hell off base.

10. GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    I applaud the guy for wanting his players to have a certain appearance - especially the multi-million dollar, soon-to-be figurehead of your team.

11. GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    This day and age, the race card is rarely "on base".

• Like Like x 1
  12. CyPride

CyPride Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    fail.

13. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    See, they should have put things like this is college contract too. Auburn isn't preparing these kids for the real world.

But seriously, MLK would be rolling over in his grave. All the sacrifices people have made for civil rights for people who were actually suffereing and now we've got people complaining that a guy getting paid millions of dollars has to follow a dress code at his job. Just another example of why anyone who takes ESPN seriously, has no mind of their own.

14. GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    I did enjoy how ESPN had the Steve Jobs story on their front page. Wonder what time they "broke" that story last night.

15. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I had to:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzpk5dMhVE4]Sideburns - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  16. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    I don't see a problem with this at at all. Cam Newton is now the face the program and the owners want to keep it clean. Plus, he's probably doing him a favor since if he's as good in the NFL as he was in college, companies will be lining up for endorsement deals and he'll have a nice image to show off.

17. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    I don't think anyone would have a problem if it were a team rule, or organization rule, but this is the same guy who just signed Jeremy Shockey and now he is telling ONE guy that he can't do what everyone else is doing? If this was something they agreed on before the draft, then fine... But, unless it applies to everyone I dont like it...

18. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    Why? Shockey already had all the tat's. What's he going to have him do, remove them?

And Shockey is a TE while Newton is the QB and leader of the team. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking more out of the leader of your team than you ask from others on the team.

19. iahawkhunter

iahawkhunter Well-Known Member

Don't forget kilts!

20. creightonclone

creightonclone Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Let me guess... you're a middle-aged, middle-to-upper class white dude, too?