Optimistic Idiots

Discussion in 'Football' started by Cyclone42, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Cyclone42

Cyclone42 Guest

I've been seeing a lot of threads recently from people predicting really, really good results from the football team this year. A recent poster predicted we'd beat Iowa and Oki State, another predicting we'd beat Nebraska and Missouri, among others.

Turn this around. Imagine that ISU is on a roll, coming off a winning season (say, 8-4), a bowl game participation, and everything is pretty steady otherwise (no major changes to the coaching staff, etc..). Now imagine there is this team coming off a combined 5 wins in 2 years, they have a totally new coaching staff, and fans of this team are predicting that they will BEAT us the next season. What would we say?

2. RyCy04

RyCy04 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    I would say, "I can't believe we ******* won 8 games!!"

3. CyDude16

CyDude16 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    SuperFan
    Heads in the sky
    You don't to read it. I could see us winning 6 or 7 games, but we'll most likely win 4 or 5. I guess having some excitement and optimism for the next season should be illegal then? My apologies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GeronimusClone

GeronimusClone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    "We always get better bowls than we deserve" or "Why did we get to play a DII school in that bowl game?"

5. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    Ok, one guy said we'd beat OSU...one. Some have said 2-3 wins which is ridiculously low and the overwhelming majority have said they think we have the talent if things go right and injury free to win 5-6.

I don't understand all these post's/threads talking about how foolishly optimistic everyone is. It simply is not true, most on here expect us to win 5-6 games and we for sure have the talent and schedule to do so.

Please stop the mentality that ISU sucks, we have no talent, we can only win 2 games a year. Just stop it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    You have to see the big picture. Say this 8 win team is losing a bunch of talent, including a starting QB. This 2 win team has alot of young talent that was thrown in before being physically ready but now has a year to get stronger and smarter. It's not that crazy... That being said, I don't see us beating Oklahoma State but I think Mizzu and Nebraska will be down from where they were this year.

7. CyGuy33

CyGuy33 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2008
    West Des Moines, IA
    It happens every year. Some people are just eternally optimistic. Nothing wrong with it. Some people will pick us to lose almost every game. Doesn't mean they are more realistic, just pesimistic.

That's why it's a prediction.

8. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA

optimistic idiot > super debbie downer

it's the optimistic idiots that continue to buy season tickets hoping for the best year after year!

9. cyclonez7

cyclonez7 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ames/Coralville
    I predict 14-0 and National Champs. :jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:

10. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I haven't posted about next year's football team yet, but I'm optimistic without reservation or apology.

I definitely think that we can beat Iowa. It's in Ames, and that's the trend right now. OSU--that's a tough call.

If we avoid the wild stuff like delay of game penalties and other ways we beat ourselves, along with playing even a competent defensive game, we're right there ready to go bowling. It's not that far away.

11. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Why is 2-3 wins rediculously low? That is the same number we have won the last 2 years. I would say we win 3 and hopefully 4.

12. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA

right on Erik...we stop karate chopping/personal fouling all over the place....there is no stopping us!

13. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    When did Cyclone Fanatic become Cyclone Funhater???

What's wrong with having some optimism? As long as the same people that have the optimism understand that it is just that, and not call for the coached head if we only win 4 or 5.

14. CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
    SuperFan
    Heads in the sky
    Maybe there should be a Pessimistic section, where all the negative nancy's and debbie downers can congregate and post.

15. ISU4ME

ISU4ME Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2007
    How many games would we have won if we did not have Leonard Johnson :jimlad:

16. GaryJohnson

GaryJohnson Active Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Chicago
    Didn't Debbie Downer do Dallas?

17. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I'd rather predict 7 wins and be wrong than predict 3 wins and be right.

Oh, and just because I predicted 7 doesn't mean I expect 7 wins or we fire the coach. I also won't be kicking the dog or looking for really high bridges if we don't get 7 wins.

18. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Some of us know Iowa State and figure we better expect 3 wins and be thrilled if we got 7.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
    SuperFan
    Heads in the sky
    Yes because obviously your knowledge is so superior to the optimistic ones. Shall we bow down to you now?:notworthy::notworthy::no:

20. sdmredsox

sdmredsox Member

Dec 15, 2008
    South Des Moines
    As long as I see improvement, I'll be happy. I think with the new coaching staff, namely Herman, and the new offense we will be running, to say that we will have mastered it by kickoff September 3rd is somewhat foolish. Its something totally new, and some kinks will have to be worked out for sure. A steady progression is all im asking for.

As for the defense, Im looking for subtle things that have improved. Tackling, spacing on coverage, run/pass anticipation. Things that I believe better quaility coaching will improve upon. Im not expecting Jesse Smith to win the Butkus Award next year, but I am expecting him, along with others to improve over the winter and spring and into camp.

Wishful thinking tells me 6 wins, reality tells me 3-5. Guess matching Chizik's 2 year total in one year would put a smile on every Cyclones face, even if you preordered your Big XII title game tickets. Im very excited to see the spring game this year, and look forward to the upcoming season.