Open up the check book, Mr. Pollard

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by 4dyceclone, Mar 23, 2014.

1. 4dyceclone

4dyceclone Member

Oct 23, 2013
    DSM
    Lets get Fred a raise. I think 3 mil a year sounds fair.

Self gets 3mil. Even Barnes gets 2.2 mil.

Lock him up now and end the NBA speculation. No more home town discounts.

Hoiberg is ISU Basketball.

2. Cyclonesince78

Cyclonesince78 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    No question. No big 12 coach (Except maybe Self) should be making more than Fred.

3. DSMCy

DSMCy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Male
    West Des Moines
    This has been said in other threads but I don't think money is an issue with Fred. I can't see him leaving for a paycheck. With that said, I totally agree, give him a raise to show you appreciate what he's building here.
    Oh and maybe try to up that NBA buyout..

4. crash_zone

crash_zone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Engineer
    Tiffin, IA
    Leave it up to him. If he wants a raise, give it to him. If he wants his assistants to have it, that works too. Not sure he really wants more money if it would be better spent somewhere else in the program.

5. Win5002

Win5002 Member

Apr 20, 2010

6. Me State

Me State Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2007
    This. Just make sure to give him whatever he requests.

7. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Let Fred decide this one - if he wants the money, pay the man. If he wants the money to go to his assistants, pay them. Whatever Fred wants, give it to him. If Fred wants his name on the court, put it there. ISU is a PROGRAM now, and Fred is responsible for it.

8. JtownCy

JtownCy Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Johnston
    I did the math. By my count we had 16 home games this year with almost every game being a sellout (lay off me I'm drunk and too lazy to look up exactly which games were and which games were not a sellout and my guess would be tickets are only going to be harder to get going forward). Hilton holds 14,384. Raise the price of each ticket by 4 or 5 bucks and you easily have the money to pay Hoiberg an extra a million a year. I really don't think anyone is going to object to the small raise in ticket prices to keep him around. I know I wouldn't!

9. Jsievers24

Jsievers24 Active Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Farm Bureau Agent
    Johnston, IA
    Whatever we do let's just keep him here please. I do think that no matter how this season ends, Fred is enjoying coaching this team, and I think Fred can see the chance to win a championship at ISU if he stays long term... How could he not think about legacy in this situation, if we won a championship, or even get a couple of final four appearances they would probably name the entire university and every building on campus after him - and every street in Ames after him

10. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Obviously give fred what he wants\needs.

And... i hope we find the money not just for Fred, but to keep Sadler around as well. He may want another HC job in the future or he might not, but until then lets lock him up here. He's clearly had a positive effect here.

11. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I think that I can safely say, without being too much of a homer, that Fred is one of the brilliant offensive minds in college basketball today. And one hell of an overall coach.

12. jcisuclones

jcisuclones Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Student
    The Cyclone State
    I say we double or triple his bonuses if he turns down a raise.

13. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    I'd be fine with that, but $5 per game is $100 per season and I guarantee you'd have some ticked off season ticket holders. I'll bet the cheap seats go up to $200 at least.

14. Kickedinthenuts

Jun 11, 2010
    Urbandale, IA
    I trust Fred. I trust Jamie. Hoiberg helped the program tremendously this year and he'll be rewarded for it in a big way.

15. stormchaser2014

stormchaser2014 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

All that's in my wallet right now

16. Ry4Cy

Ry4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Male
    Ankeny
    Pollard needs to just hand him a blank check and say "whatever is in the bank account...It's yours"

17. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I don't think that's homer at all. Virtually everyone was singing his praises going into the tournament, and I'm sure he's won over the rest of the doubters by now.

18. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    Self has a title, 10 conference championships, and how many final fours? Fred doesn't deserve Self money (yet) but he should definitely be in the top 1/3 of the conference. The program is clearly on the rise but let's not get too carried away about one Sweet 16 appearance.

19. F5cy

F5cy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Washington, D.C.
    I don't think the city of Ames has enough sense to do that. But offer to build something on the floodplain and maybe they'd change their tune.

20. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Agreed, you simply don't lose one of your star offensive talents, and then proceed to score 85 points on an NCAA tournament caliber team without knowing a thing or two about coaching offense.