One glaring weakness we need to correct asap

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Jeffreyisu, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Jeffreyisu

Jeffreyisu Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Hotel Manager
    Minneapolis, MN
    Getting points on the turnover and missed shot fast breaks. We can't seem to control our layup shots when on a fast break. We are missing way too many dunks. And even though we are a great (one of the best actually) 3-point shooting teams, a turnover or missed shot fast break when you've got 3 on 1 is not the ideal time to stop and lob a 3 pointer on the run. I hope Freddy has the guys working on this.

2. ISUCyclones2015

ISUCyclones2015 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Not worried. We will be ready for the Big Dance no matter what.

3. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Actually a 3 on 1 is an excellent time to take an uncontested 3. Uncontested 3's are the best kind to take if you have the right guys taking them. With a 3 on 1 even if you miss you have the rebounding advantage.

4. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    It is what it is because we are not that good of a team off the dribble. I too would like to see better transition offense, but I don't see us improving with this until we have a true pg or several combo guards.

5. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    Agreed, getting open 3's off the break is a great strategy especially for the type of players we have on this years team.

6. KCClone1

KCClone1 Member

Feb 28, 2010
    West Des Moines
    I'm nitpicking here because the team has exceeded my expectation, but this team isn't very good at taking charges. If we improve in this area and with some better "help" defense we could be really good on D.

7. Jeffreyisu

Jeffreyisu Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Hotel Manager
    Minneapolis, MN
    THIS. I thought that all game last night.

8. VikesFan5

VikesFan5 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    I'll agree to some degree because watching McGee miss a dunk and layup on fast breaks was pretty frustrating. Obviously I'm very happy with yesterday's win but I hope this doesn't continue.

9. cstrunk

cstrunk Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Field Engineer
    Tyler, TX
    We have a lot of little weaknesses, but most teams do. Our tournament success will hinge on how well we can shore them up. Play good, fundamental basketball and don't beat yourself. If we do that, we will be a dangerous team that no one will want to face.

10. JMCato

JMCato Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Male
    Graphic Design
    Ankeny, IA
    i'd like to see us be more authoritative around the rim see Ejim's dunk and most of Baylor's dunks yesterday.