One and done, what is your opinion?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Mumbai1986, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Mumbai1986

Mumbai1986 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2008
    GW Student
    Arlington, VA
    What do you think of one and done players? Is it good or bad for CBB? Do you think a rule needs to be instituted to keep players longer or should we go back to when high schoolers could go straight to the NBA? Just thinking about this after seeing Wiggins, Parker, and Randle dominate last night.

2. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    If the point of intercollegiate athletics is to develop student-athletes, then these guys make a joke out of the whole process. Do you think for a second that a guy like Andrew Wiggins is going the extra mile in the classroom to keep his GPA up, or that Jabari Parker chose Duke due to its strong academic prestige?

Let them go to the NBA out of high school if they want, but then turn up the heat on schools to get their players graduated. That should be the main goal.

3. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    I personally like it, especially with Hoiberg's recruiting. Could you imagine if Vaughn was debating between all these schools AND the NBA? I know he said he'd go pro if he didn't have to go to college but still, just one more thing to compete with getting the big dogs. One player can do a lot for a program in one year

4. CyJack13

CyJack13 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    It's absolutely good for college basketball, I don't see how anyone can argue that getting the chance to see guys like Rose, Love, Davis and Wiggins is a bad thing. And I also don't see the NBA ever agreeing to take kids right out of high school again, they have too much of a good thing going here to undo it.

5. gogagig

gogagig Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    It's better than the alternatives...it exposes the non-ready players who might have wasted their lives by leaving directly from high school. And there's no reason to force players to stay longer than one year in college. If in one year they've shown they're ready to go, then there's no reason to stop' em.

6. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    I wish you could either tell them to go to the NBA right away, or they have to go to school at least 2 years.

7. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    I think kids going straight to the NBA was terrible. Not everyone is LeBron and a lot of them just couldn't handle being instantly rich or the pressure of being a pro athlete.

I think it's a little disappointing that so many are leaving after one year, but it's better than the alternative.

The ideal would be to institute the college baseball rules. You can go pro right out of HS but if you do go to school you can't go pro for 3 more years.

That would also require the NBA to be responsible and not draft kids who aren't ready though, and I'm not sure they would do that. Too many teams are too desperate to find a superstar.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Economist
    Washington, DC
    It's terrible. A mockery of the notion of student-athlete, and it destroys the program continuum, team ball, and school spirit that makes college sports what they are. I would much rather watch ten upperclassmen go at it for a title they really care about than some showboat marking time until the NBA calls his name.

Make it like baseball. You can go right out of high school but, if you do go to school, you have to stay at least three academic years in college. Entering the draft at 18 and failing to be drafted/being drafted low does not disqualify your amateur status and you could still go play college ball to try to work your way up to it.

Let the NBA hype/zzzz machine have its pizzazz. Let college ball have college players who actually want to be there.

9. GoSTATE71

GoSTATE71 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2008
    Its a good thing. Seriously, think about missing out on seeing some of the talent in college. I for one, would of loved to see LeBron and Kobe in the NCAA even if it was for just one season. Also, some of these kids do take school seriously and create a balance. More so, please keep in mind that even though these players such as Parker, Wiggins, etc. are going to be superstars in the NBA or be high draft picks doesn't mean that they don't want a year to just play basketball in college, try and win a title and be a "normal" kid for one year. These guys are 18 years old and probably want to experience college even if its just for one year.

10. isu81

isu81 Active Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Agree. Complete joke. The only reason these guys are playing college basketball is because they have to. I think the NCAA/NBA should follow the baseball rule. You can come to play in college, but you have to stay 3 years. If the NBA doesn't want them year 1, let them play in Europe or in the D-league. Allowing them to play creates much more disparity and reduces competition, as well as interest. Heard John Feinstein (Duke grad) say he doesn't even consider Kyrie Irving, Luol Deng, Elton Brand, etc. Duke guys. Said the teams he is proud of were the Laitner/Hurley/Grant Hill teams.

Side note is that it would be great to see Calipari in this scenario. Would actually have to recruit rather than have NBA tryouts to determine who this year's 4-5 guys who play in his NBA-prep program are. Saw last night that he said it was "unfair" to Kentucky to have to play good teams like MSU early in the season due to his youth. What a slimeball.

11. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    The one thing I really hate about the one and done situation is the Kentucky syndrome. They recruit basically the top 5 players ever year because they almost always play only one year and are gone.

That's ridiculous.

Maybe institute some disincentives to recruiting THAT many one and dones. Right now it doesn't hurt Kentucky's graduation rates if they stay in "good standing" for their one year. Maybe set a limit and have it hit their grad rate if more than 2 or 3 go pro after one year.

12. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    It's the NBA's rule and they have no incentive for changing it. They get a free 1-year audition at the expense of the college game. Straight from HS or 2 years would be my preference.

13. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    He trolled a lot of people. I think it's funny how many fell for it. He loved every minute of it.

14. CyJack13

May 21, 2010
    The NCAA is the best possible marketing tool the NBA has, the one and done rule has been great for the NBA. I don't see any scenario in which they go back to allowing high school kids to go directly to the NBA.

15. clone2011

clone2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    [HR][/HR]I'm in the camp of make it like baseball. You can go pro, or you can go to school for three years. Or do it like football and don't give an NBA option out of HS and make 3 years mandatory. Its a joke that these guys can take 12 credits of absolute crap classes first semester, not pass a single class second semester and play ball. Who cares if they're academically ineligible after that season, they're goin pro!

It would be nice if they actually had to pass classes, you know that whole student-athlete thing like every other student-athlete at their school. It's not that hard to pass undergrad classes if you put in a little bit of work.

I do agree that it's exciting for college basketball to have these talented guys playing at this level and fun to watch.

16. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    [video=youtube;HZHwxIL9oYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHwxIL9oYo[/video]

17. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    Hate it. Let 'em go straight to the NBA.

Unless they want to come to ISU, in which case I love it.

18. Dingus

Dingus Active Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    I agree with the MLB model. It's the NBA's rule, using college as their testing grounds that they don't have to run. First of all, it should be illegal to bar an adult from a job based solely on their age.

It exists just because NBA execs couldn't make good decisions and were wasting picks on guys like Darius Miles and what's his name that Jordan drafted.

19. CyJack13

May 21, 2010
    They don't. You can play in the NBDL right out of high school.

20. isufan

isufan Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Iowa
    I like that they can't play in the NBA right out of high school. I would like there to be a 2 year minimum in college to actually make these guys pass some classes. If they don't want to go to school for 2 years, let them play in the developmental league or go overseas.