On the bright side, the Clones had great onside kicks

Discussion in 'Football' started by CyCloned, Sep 16, 2013.

1. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    To get one out of two when everyone was sure it was coming is pretty good. Actually, I thought they had a good shot at the second one.

As bad as ISU was dominated, if they had slimed out and won that game Hawk fans would have burn KF at the stake.

2. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    On the second one, if the outside Clone had broke inside of the tightend, he may have had a chance to bat it out of his hands.

3. Triggermv

Triggermv Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    I was pleasantly surprised with them as well. For all the struggles Mahoney had, he really was very solid with his onside kicking. In fact, during the game right while we were lining up for the first onside kick, I caught myself telling my friends how much I wish we had Mahoney back for this. Needless to say, Arceo filled in well as onside kicks are tricky and to produce two very good ones in a row is impressive.

4. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't know you could not advance it. I lost it yelling and screaming. He would have gone all the way.

They were both very good kicks.

5. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    yea, I don't know the rule, I know ISU advanced one against TT for a TD, but the Clones were receiving that one. Kind of a strange rule that you can't advance it.

6. ChE2010

ChE2010 Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, not being able to advance it stunk because he probably would have taken that to the house. I think not being able to advance it is part of the new rules for onside kick.

It is also very impressive that Arceo did that awesome of a job with both onside kicks, especially since the new rule requires onside kicks to hit the ground twice. Otherwise the receiving team can call a fair catch.

7. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I didn't know about that rule. Seems like the team didn't either :biglaugh:

8. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    It's not a rule that comes up very much, I'm pretty sure it's been around for quite awhile though.

9. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    it has, probably as long as the onside kick has been I'd imagine.

The new rules make it so you can't touch the person trying to recover the ball until the ball bounces three times, right?

10. ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    If memory serves though, we returned on against TT a few years ago.

11. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    Did the other team touch the ball? I think that's the difference but I don't know for sure.

12. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    The receiving team can advance the ball, TT kicked to us.

13. wcamnclone

wcamnclone Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Credit Analyst
    Fargo, ND
    I knew of the rule before, but have always thought it was stupid. Why not let the kicking team take advantage of the receiving teams miscues even more? Arceo was excellent on the kicks, I was actually expecting the second one not to get a big hop since the first one worked out so well.

I believe the rule is that way for a muffed punt as well, in which you can't advance the ball. Why is that so different than a running back fumbling the ball and being able to return it?

14. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    kicking team has never in my memory been able to advance an onside kick.
    Pretty sure the same rule applies to a muffed punt.
    The punting team can however advance a punt that is possessed by the receiving team and then fumbled.

15. huntt26

huntt26 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Instructional Technology
    po' dUnk
  16. ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    Ahaaaa! That's right. I don't get why the kicking team can't though. Seems like possession is possession and you should be able to advance it until downed. But hey, who says all the rules make sense.

17. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    That first one worked to perfection. Fun to watch.

I'm always mixed on back-to-back onside attempts: If it works, do you try the same strategy? Do something entirely different? Is trying the same tactic again just as effective at fooling the defense?

I'm sure a team doesn't have time to develop 10 different strategies for an onside kick, so choices are limited.

18. BKLYNCyclone

BKLYNCyclone Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Male
    Architect
    Twin Cities, MN
  19. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    We had 51 against Kansas last year.

And the posts last page are correct...an onside kick can't be advanced and a muffed punt can't be advanced but a fumbled punt return can be advanced.

In the case of the punt it makes sense. You are forfeiting possession by kicking the ball away. If it gets blocked in your face you can pick it up and advance because the opposition didn't "accept" possession. If it gets past the LOS you accomplished what you were attempting to do.