***Official NCAA tournament thread***

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I got my four tickets first thing this morning for the NCAA tournament 1st and 2nd rounds. At only $14 apiece for all-session, this is an amazing deal! If people reading this have never gone to see volleyball here, but have had an interest, go buy some tickets before Thursday night.

So happy to see we are seeded 15th and are able to host games again this year. I also got my wish for the team being placed in the Berkeley region. It will be VERY interesting to watch the first round match-up between California and North Carolina. This is the third straight season these teams have met in the NCAAs. Cal will be playing to stay alive to make it back to their home court for the Sweet 16, and will not be an easy draw, regardless of their 15-15 record. UNC won't be a pushover either, so I honestly don't know who will win or which team to root for in that first game.

Hopefully the team can keep the winning streak going and make short work of a decent IPFW team. They won their league, so obviously they know how to play. ISU cannot afford to come out soft. They have proven that they can literally beat anyone (kNU, UT) and lose to anyone (Syracuse).

Just have to make sure that ISU is the team that advances and NOT Cal (or UNC), since Cal is going to Berkeley after this sub-regional, regardless. They just need to make sure the Bears go home as the losing program.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I just watched FSU take down Miami this weekend for the ACC championship... hope we get a chance at revenge

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
there is a lot of arrogance on Volleytalk about Stanford/UCLA over ISU. They don't even see us getting past Cal. I think that's foolish on their part as we are an incredible hot and dangerous team right now. I don't that we've ever really (recently) played some of those elite PAC-12 teams. I'm really hoping we just spank them.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
there is a lot of arrogance on Volleytalk about Stanford/UCLA over ISU. They don't even see us getting past Cal. I think that's foolish on their part as we are an incredible hot and dangerous team right now. I don't that we've ever really (recently) played some of those elite PAC-12 teams. I'm really hoping we just spank them.
The more arrogance, the better. Someone should go on that board and act submissive. That would be funny.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

Arrogance coming from Stanford and UCLA? Wow - who would have guessed THAT! I'm not surprised because a lot of those schools can't even acknowledge volleyball exists beyond the golden beaches of California (never mind the programs at Penn State, Texas, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc.). Hopefully we will get the chance to prove them wrong by taking down Cal (assuming they win against UNC, which they might not), then showing Stanford, and their insufferably entitled fans, how it's done. As a Cal fan (but not this week!), I had long ago come to really hate Stanford and their arrogance. They're not as bad as hok fans, but they're pretty bad.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The more arrogance, the better. Someone should go on that board and act submissive. That would be funny.

haha, yes! Someone (ISU fan, I believe) said something about not underestimating us, and it got ignored. They should ask Nebby and Texas about not being prepared for us and how that goes. I don't know if we have the guns to take down UCLA or Stanford, but I know that we are probably the top team that I would not want to play right now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Arrogance coming from Stanford and UCLA? Wow - who would have guessed THAT! I'm not surprised because a lot of those schools can't even acknowledge volleyball exists beyond the golden beaches of California (never mind the programs at Penn State, Texas, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc.). Hopefully we will get the chance to prove them wrong by taking down Cal (assuming they win against UNC, which they might not), then showing Stanford, and their insufferably entitled fans, how it's done. As a Cal fan (but not this week!), I had long ago come to really hate Stanford and their arrogance. They're not as bad as hok fans, but they're pretty bad.
Stanford people may be arrogant since some pay $54k a year in tuition.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

oh yeah, the PAC-12 is the gold standard over there. They still mention Syracuse when they talk about ISU. That was months ago kids. If you're thinking that's the ISU team you'll be playing, you're going to be in for a rough time. These girls are completely different and playing exponentially better than the team that lost to Syracuse/Kstate/KSU/took Iowa to 5.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I read just one poster (a Cal fan) who picked the Bears over ISU - didn't notice any others.
On the contrary, I think ISU gets a lot of respect on Volleytalk - we've been called a "class program with a class coach," among other things...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
haha, yes! Someone (ISU fan, I believe) said something about not underestimating us, and it got ignored. They should ask Nebby and Texas about not being prepared for us and how that goes. I don't know if we have the guns to take down UCLA or Stanford, but I know that we are probably the top team that I would not want to play right now.

Why assume that Nebby and Texas were unprepared for us? Why not assume that they were prepared and it just didn't matter?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
If Cal, Stanford, and UCLA fans are looking at the schedule and only seeing losses to Syracuse and Illinois, then they are doing themselves a huge disservice. But, let them believe what they want and come in unprepared. Hopefully the team is serving up *****-kickings and lollipops, but runs out of lollipops VERY early on.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Part of the scheme is to make it difficult to prepare for us this year. CJL has made extra effort to confuse future opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if it is impossible to get the film for the ISU Texas match. Not only that but they have been doing things different and adjusting very well on the go. They did that against Texas. I am hopeful. But I am certainly not arrogant.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
How hard to get/expensive would tickets for this weekend be?

$14 for all-session tickets. The matches are Thursday/Friday nights. I don't think single match tickets are available until Thursday, IIRC.

Non-season ticket holders and non-Cylcone Club members can start buying them after 12:00 noon today (Monday).

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I read just one poster (a Cal fan) who picked the Bears over ISU - didn't notice any others.
On the contrary, I think ISU gets a lot of respect on Volleytalk - we've been called a "class program with a class coach," among other things...

they do like our coach, but I don't think they see us as a serious threat, especially fans outside of the Midwest. Nebby and Texas fans do give us respect. There were several comments along the lines of assuming that UCLA would be playing Cal, saying they'd rather play ISU than Cal, and just assuming a UCLA/Stanford match up. I'm all about being the underdog though, so that's fine by me!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
$14 for all-session tickets. The matches are Thursday/Friday nights. I don't think single match tickets are available until Thursday, IIRC.

Non-season ticket holders and non-Cylcone Club members can start buying them after 12:00 noon today (Monday).

Oh, I mis-read the date. Probably can't do Thursday :(

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Why assume that Nebby and Texas were unprepared for us? Why not assume that they were prepared and it just didn't matter?

you're right, I didn't word that the way I wanted to. I feel like the Stanford/UCLA teams may be more likely to underestimate us and I wanted to imply that they should ask Nebby and Texas how that would go. Texas definitely shouldn't have been unprepared as our last match was a nail biter too. IIRC, we hadn't been playing well before the Nebby game so that may have been more of a surprise, but we've got enough history there that they should have been aware as well.