NBA: ***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Pacers are baadddd, don't quite know if that's good or bad for Georges but I'll guess bad.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The Pacers are baadddd, don't quite know if that's good or bad for Georges but I'll guess bad.
Really surprised they have started out this bad. George is a stud and Turner is becoming a really good young player.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Right now it looks like the steal of the draft was the Bucks getting Malcolm Brogdon in the second round. I don't know if he has a very high ceiling as an NBA player but there might not have been a more NBA ready guy in his class.
I've been extremely impressed. Very high IQ player and just does all the little things right. I don't remember seeing a 2nd rounder contribute and start the year NBA ready like him.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm amazed how bad I want Golden State to lose this year. I loved watching them last year, but this super team crap drives me nuts.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Just watched the highlights for the Cle-Bos game and Jaylen Brown is who impressed me most. He looked very good for a rookie so I looked at his stats, despite his team losing by 6, he had a +/- of +15. The only person better than him in the game was Lebron with +19. Funny note, worst was Marcus Smart with -22.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Pacers are baadddd, don't quite know if that's good or bad for Georges bthut I'll guess bad.
Really surprised they have started out this bad. George is a stud and Turner is becoming a really good young player.

They don't defend at all and they're getting next to nothing from the bench. If they keep struggling don't be surprised if Bird shakes things up and moves a player or two.

But it's early. Teague is still coming back from a bad knee injury, and he's pretty good when healthy.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-james-phil-jackson-maverick-carter/93896316/

I'm surprised this story has had some legs. I don't think what Phil Jackson said was intentionally racist, but I do think it was a poor choice of words. Lebron and his inner circle have a right to take offense.

In fairness, I don't mind Jackson getting hammered by the media a little bit. He's always come across as a smug prick, IMO. The ring count is impressive, but have a little humility. Coaching four of the best fifty NBA players in history in their primes had a little do with that.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
A few random musings after a few weeks of play.

Clippers with the best record at 10-1? Did not see that coming.

OKC fast start but now starting to look record wise what I expected without KD toward the middle of the pack in the west.

Pacers and Boston has strong off season acquisitions but are floundering at .500

Atlanta strong start thought Howard would continue to be the cancer he was in LA and Houston but so far not in the ATL.

Figured Thibs would have Minnesota playing better than 3-7.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

OKC fast start but now starting to look record wise what I expected without KD toward the middle of the pack in the west.

Pacers and Boston has strong off season acquisitions but are floundering at .500

Atlanta strong start thought Howard would continue to be the cancer he was in LA and Houston but so far not in the ATL.

Hoiberg and the bulls looking pretty good thus far. We'll see how those old legs hold up.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I'm not. The change from Vogel to McMillen is a huge downgrade. I don't know why they changed unless Bird and Vogel didn't get along. Besides George, last year's team was pretty bad. This year Turner has improved and they upgraded PG in Teague. Young is an ok small ball PF as well.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

The Clippers have been together for awhile and they improved their bench a bit.
Westbrook can't do it all and the Thunder are realizing that.
I talked about the Pacers above, the Celtics will get it together, learning how to mesh Horford with the rest of their team.
Atlanta is surprising just by how fast they got it together. Millsap and Howard I think are a better frontcourt combo than Millsap and Horford ( I think Horford > Howard, but Howard fits better next to Millsap).

I expect the Lakers to drop off soon and for the Rockets to drop off as well.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm not. The change from Vogel to McMillen is a huge downgrade. I don't know why they changed unless Bird and Vogel didn't get along. Besides George, last year's team was pretty bad. This year Turner has improved and they upgraded PG in Teague. Young is an ok small ball PF as well.

They beat the Cavs last night...who were resting Lebron and JR Smith. But still, a win's a win. I was more or less on board with letting Vogel walk. He's a good coach but NBA coaches just don't last very long in any one place with a few exceptions. McMillan was an odd hire. I think Turner is a future All Star. Young is unconventional but he makes it work.

Overall, I don't know where they go from here. Larry Bird usually does a pretty good job of rebuilding on the fly without ever bottoming out, but this particular group looks like a fringe playoff team at best. I expect them to be active before the trade deadline. Monta Ellis could be on the move.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I'm not that surprised. The future is really bright for the Wolves, but they're still young and they won 29 games last year. To make the playoffs they would have to improve on that win total by 12-15 wins. That's a pretty big leap to make in one season regardless of talent. It could still happen, but I'm not counting on it. I think they'll win right around 37-38 games and finish out of the playoffs. Next year is their breakout season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Man the Cavs are looking absolutely phenomenal recently except the one game LeBron missed. Really has to be seen.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just took a look at the standings. Worst team in the NBA record wise isn't Philly, Dallas sitting at 3-13. Ouch